This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

I thought about putting this in the main lounge, but since this thread is above "Movies" I figured it would fit here as well.

We've long known that movie theatre snacks are bad ... but not THIS bad.

Horror Show: Movie Popcorn = 3 Burgers + 12 Pats of Butter - Nutrition | Physical - FOXNews.com

Apparently 1 tub of popcorn, soda and candy = 3 Quarter Pounders and one stick of butter. OUCH!!!

This is why we end up at Wetzels Pretzels before our movie and get some unbuttered Pretzels.

Re: Oh the Horror!!! What those movie snacks cost you

Wow! Glad I don't indulge in snackage when I go to the movies.

Comment

Well then, it's very thoughtful of movie theaters to price those deadly snacks so high that I never buy them anyway.

Popcorn, with minimal butter, is actually a relatively healthy snack as well. I imagine this situation is similair to eating out anywhere. Restaurant meals tend to taste really good, because they use lots of butter and what-not.

Sacrificing taste in favour of healthier items just isn't good for business I imagine.
      My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
        Well then, it's very thoughtful of movie theaters to price those deadly snacks so high that I never buy them anyway.

Popcorn, with minimal butter, is actually a relatively healthy snack as well. I imagine this situation is similair to eating out anywhere. Restaurant meals tend to taste really good, because they use lots of butter and what-not.

Sacrificing taste in favour of healthier items just isn't good for business I imagine.
        LMAO about the prices!!!

I think with relation to the popcorn, the butter has a LOT to do with it, but the oil as well. We have 94% fat free popcorn at home done in the microwave. It may not be as buttery but it's still yummy.

Comment

I hardly ever do popcorn at the movies anymore. I usually just get a package of overpriced Twizzlers (if they have them... Reeses Pieces if not) and the small drink.

Unless I go to a Muvico theatre, then all bets are off. They serve actual food there. I like their chicken fingers & curly fries. They got good quesadillas too.

Comment

^ We have one of those near us now and have been meaning to try it. Is it distracting watching a movie while people are getting served food?

Comment

1) Who Gets What From Your $10 Ticket?of the $12 you put out for a ticket, the movie theatre only got to keep between $2.40 and $3.00 of it.$0.00 from the ticket salesmake their money off concessions
              Economics Of The Movie Theater – Where The Money Goes And Why It Costs Us So Much | The Movie Blog

Comment

The last time I went to the movies, the popcorn cost more than the movie tickets. When I read the latest about the fat, and calorie amounts in the popcorn, I decided that next time I go to the movies, I'll pass on the popcorn. Then I can go to the movies more often, and it will be good for my waistline too.
                BarbaraAnn

Comment

I am not a big fan of movie theatre food. My wife on the other hand loves to pig out there and treat it like a smorgasbord (which is fine she's a health nut on everything else). Cheese pizza, nachos, pretzels and two sodas add up. I'd much rather go out to dinner before hand, which we do sometimes, but if we don't and when we get to the concession stand she gets like a kid in a candy store.

I know theaters depend on the concession stand to make money which is why many are struggling and closing.
                  "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

Comment

I saw that this morning on the morning show! Scary!
                    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I think this tread little funny...
                      For reason I just back from the movie
                      (Disney Christmas carols 3-D)
                      Before tonight , I have not gone to a Theatres for about 2 year's
                      I paid over $9.00 for a med.butter popcorn and
                      the smallest cup of coke.....
                      price was very high!
                      I though I was at Disneyland!
                      PS:
                      Sorry ,but is a Muvico theatre?
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I rarely buy popcorn. I think this summer when Star Trek came out, it was the first time in 2 or 3 years I bought popcorn.

I wish more theaters sold coffee. At least one local theater allows you to bring in outside coffee as there is a coffee shop right next door to the theater.

Comment

I used to hate movie popcorn, until I discovered those flavor sprinkle things. So good! And calories: I walk to our local theater. It's 2.4ish miles there and 2.4ish miles back.

Comment

I never buy popcorn at the movies!!!! it's always candy. Cause you know, candy is so good for my teeth and all.
                            Katie :yea:
                            Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
                            :sc: FIGHT ON!!!!!!

Comment

We just stopped buying concessions. I understand the economics of it but I just can't justify the price. So we stop at a convenience store and buy drinks there and bring them to the theater.

We were just talking about it this morning, about what we were going to see this weekend. New Moon, 2012 and Planet 51 were on the list. After figuring out how much we would be spending just on tickets, we nixed the last 2 movies.

I love Netflix, one price, no late fees. I honestly don't know how much longer movie theaters can keep this up with so many "at home" options becoming available. The minute they make it possible to order new movies at home, they are going to crash and burn.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X