This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miramax Studio closed and up for sale

TheDisneyBlog is reporting that Disney is closing Miramax studios and selling its assets. Miramax is the more mature and artistic live-action studio of the Walt Disney Company, and the producer of such classics and Oscar-winning movies as Chicago, The Aviator, Finding Neverland, The Queen, No Country for Old Men, and There Will Be Blood. This marks the end of an era for the Disney studios, and of a dream for the Weinstein brothers.

From the first of the two articles:

It's a shame, because Miramax was so largely responsible for giving Disney a major presence at the Oscars, and helped to give the company a lot of credibility with the critics. Seems as if a studio is more artistic than box-office-smashing, or its films can't be continually marketed as franchises, then Disney ain't interested.

What are your thoughts on this?

Re: Miramax Studio closed and up for sale

I never did understand the logic of Disney buying miramax in the first place.

Disney already has a production division suited to producing films that are, quite frankly, not appropriate for all audiences--touchstone pictures.

Granted that Miramax does/did produce very good films, I just think that miramax sticks out like a sore thumb.

something that bothered me about miramax, is that and I am not going to go into lengthy detail, it was one of many of the deals made by eisner seemingly in secret and almost overnight (sniff sniff sniffety sniff do I smell suspicious actions???) raises a red flag that he was engaging in antitrust? what he did not realize is that he was chosen to be the head of the company, NOT to take over the company as its sole owner.

it was my understanding that when new world pictures folded, miramax purchased the rights to New Worlds work and the only way to do so would be to create a subdivision---dimension pictures and the deal breaker was to find a company that was interested in purchasing miramax.

Comment

Miramax was so largely responsible for giving Disney a major presence at the Oscars
      Disney has PIXAR now. So they have the best of both worlds, Oscar cred and shloads of box office

Comment

Well, the Weinsteins were already gone from Miramax a long time ago.

It was nice to have someone underwrite those great films. But Disney seems to have decided that adult-audience-only films should not be linked to Disney in any way.

Comment

Disney seems to have decided that adult-audience-only films should not be linked to Disney in any way.
          Disney has decided that it want's films to make money, sadly most of Miramax's titles are small niche titles.
          Bride & Prejudice is one of my family's favorite films, released in the states though Miramax. Sadly it made no money states side. (but if your itching to see Jane Austin in Bollywood form this is the film for you! And it's a Musical!!!)
          [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8r7qq-IxzU]YouTube - Bride and Prejudice trailer[/ame]

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X