This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Wonderland' war hits USA! AMC might not play

The protest by movie theater companies against Disney's plans to accelerate the DVD release for its upcoming 3-D film "Alice in Wonderland" is rippling across the Atlantic.
    AMC Entertainment, the nation's second-largest theater operator, is digging in its heels over the issue. Less than two weeks remain before "Alice's" release, but the Kansas City, Mo.-based company, which has more than 4,500 screens worldwide, has not yet agreed to screen it, according to three people familiar with the matter.

If AMC refuses to show "Alice," that would be a major blow to the film's box-office returns. The two sides are expected to reach a compromise that would avert such an outcome -- even if negotiations go down to the wire, sources said.

Representatives of AMC and Disney declined to comment.
    AMC digging in over Disney's plans for 'Alice in Wonderland' | Company Town | Los Angeles Times
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 'Wonderland' war hits USA! AMC might not play

That would be one expensive protest for AMC considering the box office draw this movie is supposed to have.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

Originally posted by wolfy View Post
      That would be one expensive protest for AMC considering the box office draw this movie is supposed to have.
      When Princess and the Frog came out it was not showing on any AMC theater in this area. Instead we had to go to another and better theater. I am siding with Disney on this one and not AMC and their faux IMAX.

Comment

Most of the profit goes to the studio anyway so I think Disney would be the bigger looser.
        sigpic

Comment

Although, I wonder, with the 3D showings, theaters have a surcharge for those shows, does that extra surcharge go to the movie company or to the theater?????
          Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
          An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
          Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
          Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Originally posted by OC2Epcot View Post
            Most of the profit goes to the studio anyway so I think Disney would be the bigger looser.
            The biggest loser would be the people wanting to see the movie in the first place.

Comment

If enough people want to see this film it will also hurt AMC. It seems like a lose/lose situation imo.

one hundred and one

Comment

AMC own 3 of the 4 theaters I go to, I used to go to a fifth but its now a 21 and up drinking theater and I;m almost 18, so if they don't play it then Regal better
                Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
                July 13th-18th
                November 19th-25th

Comment

AMC isn't even on my radar here. As long Harkins shows it, we're all good here.

Enjoying the warmth and sunshine of Phoenix between Disney trips.

Comment

No AMC in our area and we don't go to "Century" for political reasons. As long as it's showing at the Edwards by us it's not going to bother me any.

Although I would find it VERY odd that this might not play at Downtown Disney.

Comment

Yes, considering the posters surrounding the AMC in DtD are all Alice in Wonderland promos.
                      Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
                      it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                        No AMC in our area and we don't go to "Century" for political reasons. As long as it's showing at the Edwards by us it's not going to bother me any.

Although I would find it VERY odd that this might not play at Downtown Disney.
                        What are your "political reasons", if you don't mind my asking?

Comment

According to Entertainment Weekly's latest issue, Fox is also trying to keep 3D (and presumably Imax) screens for Avatar past March 5th. AMC has that to negotiate with.
                          my website: http://creamcheesealchemy.com

Comment

The closest AMC theatre by me is a run down hole.

As long as I can see Alice at my usual theatre (a Regal Cinema), all is good.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X