This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows

MuggleNet | The World's #1 Harry Potter Site - Deathly Hallows, Half-Blood Prince, JK Rowling, and much more

Re: Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows

Good stuff! Looking forward to it, even though it STILL seems to be departing from the book a bit too much. But, I've simply resigned to the fact that it's impossible to remake the books in total into movie form.
    Seems they've combined Xeno scene with the snatcher capture. If so, then the book lets Xeno off easier. Movie version makes him out more a victim/villain, not unlike what happened to Cho in Movie 5.

Eagerly awaiting the eventual animated series in about ten years. (Even the youtube stop-motion animation is a bit painful to watch, though you get what you pay for.)

Comment

While I'm not a fan, and I have read the books, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban still remains my favorite - film wise. With every installment since, the build up, the excitement seems all but a balloon pop of a gimmick to get us in theaters, and we leave the theater with just... "It was ok."

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban had the good acting, the right suspense, the right chemistry between characters, and the action scenes had a great purpose. Since then, I rather watch The Neverending Story. The fact that the director David Yates doesn't have a great track record, even with him directing the past 2 harry installments seem to get a little better with each aging year but that doesn't say much. This new teaser trailer, Yates better give the diehards & non-diehards what they want... a solid film.

Comment

The movies have to cut out so much, but IMO they cut out too much stuff that seems to be required in the later movies to wrap up loose ends. A particular concept that has been cut is the enigma of "elf magic."
        Spoiler

1. Movie 4 cuts out Winky and the better story of how Barty Jr escapes, and thus there is no need for Dobby, the now-free elf working for wages at Hogwarts.
        2. Movie 5 cut out Sirius's harsh treatment of Kreacher, who, with the appropriate command, helps lead Harry into the trap. Also, no need for Dobby, who tells Harry about the Room For Requirement, a supposedly secret room that hardly anyone knows about. (Also cut out of Movie 4 is a throwaway line that portends the existence of the RFR.) Now, it seems that everyone knows about, and that Voldy likely knows that everyone knows about it. So, should he think one of his horcruxes is in danger of being found?
        3. Movie 6 cuts out that Sirius left Harry the house on Grimmauld Place and Kreacher (whom Harry still holds a grudge), who, with Dobby, helps Harry determine what Draco is up to.
        4. Movie 7 appears to cut out the story of how Voldy uses (and discards) Kreacher to help put the locket in place. How Kreacher escapes would help to understand elf magic (that owner's commands take precedent over all other magic). So, how can Dobby's sudden reappearance since Movie 2 be explained? If he had popped up in past movies when the books noted it, this would not be such a jarring return.

In short, I think the enigma of elf magic should have been preserved in the movies, and that JKR should have insisted upon it, to make Movies 7 easier to wrap up, especially why Dobby helps Harry, and the consequences that follow.
        (Yeah, I do think about this way too much.)

Comment

The new TV Spot...
          [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRzCaYenoRE"]YouTube - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 TV Spot 1[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by sediment View Post
            The movies have to cut out so much, but IMO they cut out too much stuff that seems to be required in the later movies to wrap up loose ends. A particular concept that has been cut is the enigma of "elf magic."
            Spoiler

1. Movie 4 cuts out Winky and the better story of how Barty Jr escapes, and thus there is no need for Dobby, the now-free elf working for wages at Hogwarts.
            2. Movie 5 cut out Sirius's harsh treatment of Kreacher, who, with the appropriate command, helps lead Harry into the trap. Also, no need for Dobby, who tells Harry about the Room For Requirement, a supposedly secret room that hardly anyone knows about. (Also cut out of Movie 4 is a throwaway line that portends the existence of the RFR.) Now, it seems that everyone knows about, and that Voldy likely knows that everyone knows about it. So, should he think one of his horcruxes is in danger of being found?
            3. Movie 6 cuts out that Sirius left Harry the house on Grimmauld Place and Kreacher (whom Harry still holds a grudge), who, with Dobby, helps Harry determine what Draco is up to.
            4. Movie 7 appears to cut out the story of how Voldy uses (and discards) Kreacher to help put the locket in place. How Kreacher escapes would help to understand elf magic (that owner's commands take precedent over all other magic). So, how can Dobby's sudden reappearance since Movie 2 be explained? If he had popped up in past movies when the books noted it, this would not be such a jarring return.

In short, I think the enigma of elf magic should have been preserved in the movies, and that JKR should have insisted upon it, to make Movies 7 easier to wrap up, especially why Dobby helps Harry, and the consequences that follow.
            (Yeah, I do think about this way too much.)

I love that you think about it as much as I do, that has been a huge sadness for me is how they never bring up in any of the films anything about Elf Magic. I don't understand with such an important part in Deathly Hallows how they will suddenly explain Elf Magic, or if they wont explain it at all, and just ignore WHY and HOW something can happen.

Its so hard when i see things that I feel are very vital to the story being completely overlooked in the films. I understand that in a film you have to shorten things and keep it moving, but for example in Half Blood Prince, they cut out SO much from the books YET added a scene that was never in the books? I dont understand why they needed to ADD anything when they had soooo much material to choose from.

I am beyond excited to see Deathly Hallows, and It makes me even more excited and happy that all the reviews I've read so far all agree that besides Chamber of Secrets that Deathly Hallows Part 1 follows the book the most. So I'm excited to see that! It feels like it's forever away from when it comes out, I'm suffering haha. I really hope they stick to the book as much as humanly possible.

But anyway... I'll shut up now haha. I just wanted to say , Like you, I think way too much about this

Comment

I've been re-listening to the DH on CD in the car the past week to refresh my memory of the book a few months ahead of the release. The kids have just reached the forest. Like the first reviewer said, the forest does get old quickly; I remember feeling tired going through those sections when I first read the book. So it's cool that WB can get that feedback and do their best to sweeten and tweak the films so they're as good as they can be yet be as close to the books as they feel they can. Looking forward to seeing them finally! And thanks for the new thread update, OP!

Comment

The new Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1) Trailer (Sept 22, 2010)
                YouTube - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 Trailer 2 Official HD

Comment

I can't wait! The new trailer is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by twinmom View Post
                    I can't wait! The new trailer is awesome!
                    Agreed! And going through the book again reminding me of stuff I'd forgotten only makes seeing appearances of the little moments and returning characters in the trailer that much more exciting. Woo hoo!

Comment

new one sheet...

Comment

No 3D until Part 2, which doesn't bother me one bit...

From the BBC:
                        BBC News - Harry Potter 3D release cancelled, says Warner Bros

The studio said it could not complete the 3D conversion of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 in time for its 19 November UK and US release date.
                        In a statement on Friday, the studio said: "Despite everyone's best efforts, we were unable to convert the film in its entirety and meet the highest standards of quality.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptTinkerbell View Post
                          But anyway... I'll shut up now haha. I just wanted to say , Like you, I think way too much about this
                          You think WE think too much about this?
                          Here:
                          MuggleNet | The World's #1 Harry Potter Site - Deathly Hallows Movie, The Wizarding World, JK Rowling, and much more

Lots of stuff I hadn't thought of, but they're more about characters, which I hadn't thought as much about.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X