Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Wreck-It Ralph" now Disney's 2012 animated feature

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Wreck-It Ralph" now Disney's 2012 animated feature

    Disney released a press release stating that what was previously known as "Reboot Ralph," a CG feature planned for release in 2013, is now "Wreck-It Ralph" and is being moved up to late 2012 to be Disney's main animated movie for that year. From the press release:

    Sounds different... and in this case I'm betting different will be good. I'm excited to see how Disney might change the style of animation depending on the video game Ralph is in (8 bit, etc.). Also sounds like a perfect fit for 3D.

    Thoughts?


  • #2
    Re: "Wreck-It Ralph" now Disney's 2012 animated feature

    Also, for those curious, the current pipeline looks like this (Pixar in blue, Disney in red):

    2011
    June 24 - Cars 2
    July 15 - Winnie the Pooh

    2012
    June 22 - Brave
    November 12 - Wreck-It Ralph

    2013
    June 21 - Monsters University
    Late 2013: The King of the Elves (unconfirmed)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: "Wreck-It Ralph" now Disney's 2012 animated feature

      I don't know, I have found that Disney does its best work with fairy tales, makes me worry about this one.
      Trips coming up:

      May 22-26th
      July 13th-18th
      November 19th-25th

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: "Wreck-It Ralph" now Disney's 2012 animated feature

        The studio's history boasts great artistic successes with non-fairy tales such as 'Lady and the Tramp', 'The Jungle Book', 'Lilo and Stitch', 'Bolt' and more. I've previously reported in another NEWS thread that some of the artists I've spoken to working on 'Ralph' are thrilled with the new direction this film is steering them towards, saying that is is very different from any Disney animated feature film yet. Can't wait!
        "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: "Wreck-It Ralph" now Disney's 2012 animated feature

          Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
          The studio's history boasts great artistic successes with non-fairy tales such as 'Lady and the Tramp', 'The Jungle Book', 'Lilo and Stitch', 'Bolt' and more. I've previously reported in another NEWS thread that some of the artists I've spoken to working on 'Ralph' are thrilled with the new direction this film is steering them towards, saying that is is very different from any Disney animated feature film yet. Can't wait!
          I think I still have right to worry though look at every animated movie that came out between Lilo and Stitch and Bolt, none were based on well-known stories, and they were all terrible (ok Meet the Robinson's is ok, but its just ok, not great). Movies coming to mind are: Valiant, Home on the Range, Brother Bear, The Wild, Treasure Planet, Chicken Little (admittedly the best on this list). And that isn't including all of the terrible sequels they had that were straight to DVD. Bolt was pretty good, but it still didn't blow me away. The last movie that Disney animation put out that truly blew me away until recently was The Emperor's New Groove (2000). Since then it took 9 years for them to wow me again with Princess and the Frog, and then Tangled this year. Winnie the Pooh looks like it'll be pretty goo too.
          Trips coming up:

          May 22-26th
          July 13th-18th
          November 19th-25th

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: "Wreck-It Ralph" now Disney's 2012 animated feature

            ^ Neither Valiant nor The Wild were technically made by Disney animation - both were made by outside animated studios and distributed with Disney's name on them (also like the recently-released Mars Needs Moms, which is why I'm very glad Disney is getting out of the animation distribution business).

            As for the other films you mentioned, the difference between those films and now comes down to John Lasseter, the changes he's made to the animation studios since then, and his creative control over the films Disney puts out these days. Bolt, Princess and the Frog, and Tangled are the three films released during his time with Disney, and all have been very good. Also, given Lasseter's experience with Pixar, and how that studio excels with films that deal with quirky plots and unconventional stories, I suspect a quirky film like this is something that will be right up Lasseter's alley.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: "Wreck-It Ralph" now Disney's 2012 animated feature

              Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
              ^ Neither Valiant nor The Wild were technically made by Disney animation - both were made by outside animated studios and distributed with Disney's name on them (also like the recently-released Mars Needs Moms, which is why I'm very glad Disney is getting out of the animation distribution business).

              As for the other films you mentioned, the difference between those films and now comes down to John Lasseter, the changes he's made to the animation studios since then, and his creative control over the films Disney puts out these days. Bolt, Princess and the Frog, and Tangled are the three films released during his time with Disney, and all have been very good. Also, given Lasseter's experience with Pixar, and how that studio excels with films that deal with quirky plots and unconventional stories, I suspect a quirky film like this is something that will be right up Lasseter's alley.
              Are they going to do any more traditional hand-drawn animation? In my honest opinion, it takes more skill to do hand-drawn animation then to move a character around in a computer program.
              Trips coming up:

              May 22-26th
              July 13th-18th
              November 19th-25th

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: "Wreck-It Ralph" now Disney's 2012 animated feature

                ^ Count me as another fan of hand-drawn animation. No one really knows for sure, since I don't think even Disney knows for certain what they're going to be working on after King of the Elves, but I think it's a safe bet we'll see 2D animation again (especially if Pooh does well). Lasseter himself has said he's interested in continuing both forms of animation. So far he's been true to his word, seeing as during his time with Disney we've gotten Bolt (CG), Princess and the Frog (hand-drawn), Tangled (CG), Pooh (hand-drawn), and now Wreck-It Ralph (CG). No word yet on King of the Elves, but even if it isn't hand-drawn, I bet it won't be long before another one comes out.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: "Wreck-It Ralph" now Disney's 2012 animated feature

                  I like the idea of the movie alot I hope it does well Disney seems to have a killer line up of films in the next few years (Muppets, Pixar and Disney animated films)
                  Happy Halloween!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: "Wreck-It Ralph" now Disney's 2012 animated feature

                    Originally posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
                    Are they going to do any more traditional hand-drawn animation? In my honest opinion, it takes more skill to do hand-drawn animation then to move a character around in a computer program.
                    As someone working in animation, I can tell you that's false. It both takes different kinds of skills. I'd say it's easier to draw by hand than by computer though. Just try it yourself

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: "Wreck-It Ralph" now Disney's 2012 animated feature

                      Originally posted by konekobus View Post
                      As someone working in animation, I can tell you that's false. It both takes different kinds of skills. I'd say it's easier to draw by hand than by computer though. Just try it yourself
                      I have actually, we had to make a 30 second computer animated clip for video production my senior year in HS. I attempted to make a 10 second hand drawn animated clip and it turned out horribly.
                      Trips coming up:

                      May 22-26th
                      July 13th-18th
                      November 19th-25th

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: "Wreck-It Ralph" now Disney's 2012 animated feature

                        Sounds pretty cool! Can't wait to see how this turns out.
                        Off to the Academy of Dramatic Arts in 2013!
                        ------------------------------------------------------
                        Met Demi Lovato at DCA on 9/24/2010! <3 :blush:
                        ------------------------------------------------------


                        Comment

                        Ad Widget

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X