Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney selling it's soul for a quick DVD buck-(rant)

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Disney selling it's soul for a quick DVD buck-(rant)

    I used to be ok with direct to DVD sequels- not all of them were bad- but I have had it!

    Bambi 2???

    WTH is that good for?

    What else are they going to do? I'm sick of it- they take something classic, something special and good and they whore it out until it means nothing anymore!

    Or on TV- Kuzco's New School??? WTF! NO NO NO! The New Groove was fun, quirky, and even Kronks New Groove (while semi-lame) was acceptable and even had some "moments" that made it better than alot of others- but this TV show is...insulting at best.

    I have DVD's on my shelf we wil never watch again because of how bad they were. I want to BURN Tarzan and Jane!

    But Bambi 2 seems to have been my breaking point. Not sure why but when I saw it I saw flames!

    :bang:

    Disney- stop it! Come up with something new, something creative- something that does not involve putting classic and beloved characters out on the street corner while you pimp them for their appeal. You make me sick!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Nephythys
    I used to be ok with direct to DVD sequels- not all of them were bad- but I have had it!

    Bambi 2???

    WTH is that good for?

    What else are they going to do? I'm sick of it- they take something classic, something special and good and they whore it out until it means nothing anymore!

    Or on TV- Kuzco's New School??? WTF! NO NO NO! The New Groove was fun, quirky, and even Kronks New Groove (while semi-lame) was acceptable and even had some "moments" that made it better than alot of others- but this TV show is...insulting at best.

    I have DVD's on my shelf we wil never watch again because of how bad they were. I want to BURN Tarzan and Jane!

    But Bambi 2 seems to have been my breaking point. Not sure why but when I saw it I saw flames!

    :bang:

    Disney- stop it! Come up with something new, something creative- something that does not involve putting classic and beloved characters out on the street corner while you pimp them for their appeal. You make me sick!
    I'm with you on Bambi 2! I hear you loud and clear! Bambi doesn't even sound like him! That's the same major problem I had with Return to Neverland.

    But as for Emperor's New School? I at least find that show to be entertaining. I a lot more than many of the other shows on there currently, especially those that are being repeated (such as Lizzie). It's nice to have something new. I enjoy the characters and overall it's still sticking to what I expected of the show. I like it more that I do the Lilo & Stitch series. Disney has been making animated cartoons based off of animated films for years, but the gap between the two hasn't been so large before. I wonder if they're trying to build up a fan base? Either way, I like this one.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Disney selling it's soul for a quick DVD buck-(rant)

      The reason the gap between Emperor's New Groove and Emperor's New School was due to the overwhelming popularity of the repeat showings that had on Disney Channel a couple years ago.

      As for Tarzan and Jane, take it for exactly what it is: A compilation of 3 episodes of the Tarzan series. The Tarzan series I actually liked... it was a good adventure series. Very well made for a TV show, too.

      Meanwhile, with Bambi 2 -- at least this one had a decent reasoning behind it. While not necessary, it is based on the actual sequel to Bambi. No different than the Brave Little Toaster movies based on their own book series.

      I'm not a fan of the sequel farming, but I do enjoy the better ones.

      And I'm sure with John Lasseter and Steve Jobs having say in the company now, the DisneyToon Studio will either need to change format or close.
      -Tim

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Disney selling it's soul for a quick DVD buck-(rant)

        What "actual" sequel to Bambi?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Disney selling it's soul for a quick DVD buck-(rant)

          I saw a billboard for that yesterday and I did a "WTF??!?!??"...

          They need to leave the classics alone. They don't need sequels.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Disney selling it's soul for a quick DVD buck-(rant)

            Originally posted by Nephythys
            What "actual" sequel to Bambi?
            The guy that wrote the book that Bambi was based on wrote a sequel to that book. That's what Bambi 2 is based on.

            Though, looks like they've dropped the Bambi and the Great Prince (or whatever it was) title that they've been using for a while...
            -Tim

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Disney selling it's soul for a quick DVD buck-(rant)

              Originally posted by FrumiousBoojum
              The guy that wrote the book that Bambi was based on wrote a sequel to that book. That's what Bambi 2 is based on.

              Though, looks like they've dropped the Bambi and the Great Prince (or whatever it was) title that they've been using for a while...
              I think I would have preferred that title.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Disney selling it's soul for a quick DVD buck-(rant)

                I rant every time the stupid commercial comes on for this one as of late; however, I know I'm really go to see red when they release Cinderella 3...talk about trashing a classic.

                Here, here for FB's comment...one can only hope that the Pixar managemenet team makes some changes when it comes to the Disney direct-to-DVD thinking.
                Duct tape is like The Force. It has a dark side & a light side and it binds the Universe together.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Disney selling it's soul for a quick DVD buck-(rant)

                  Originally posted by MousEarz
                  Here, here for FB's comment...one can only hope that the Pixar managemenet team makes some changes when it comes to the Disney direct-to-DVD thinking.
                  Steve Jobs did publicly bash Disney for the overload of cheapquels back during the height to the Save Disney campaign, after all...
                  -Tim

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Disney selling it's soul for a quick DVD buck-(rant)

                    I really do not want to incur the wrath of MiceChat, because I *usually* hate direct-to-DVD cheapquels just as much as everyone else; the Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, CINDERELLA! But. I saw a trailer for Bambi 2 today... and... I'm sorry, but...

                    It looks ok.

                    Seriously! The animation looked very fluid, unlike the Little Mermaid 2, and the storyline was ok! I think DisneyToon for once accepted they were dealing with a Walt Disney masterpiece here (although why they didn't with Peter Pan 2 and Cinderella 2 and 3 I don't know) and gave it a mediocre creation. Its not as bad as the others.
                    BACKPACKING REALNESS

                    DISNEY TRIPS
                    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

                    (VERY OLD!)
                    TRIP REPORTS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Disney selling it's soul for a quick DVD buck-(rant)

                      Well, there were two major things going FOR this one:

                      -Andreas Deja worked on it.
                      -It was made completely in Australia, out of view of the heads coming in and changing everything until it's completely unwatchable.

                      Those strategies worked on the Florida pictures, after all...
                      Last edited by FrumiousBoojum; 02-01-2006, 10:36 AM.
                      -Tim

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Disney selling it's soul for a quick DVD buck-(rant)

                        I am not biting... I don't think many people will...

                        The reason is that the record on these sequels are horrable...

                        It doesn't matter anymore what the quality is, who the director is, and what studeo it comes from anymore... If it is was orignial Disney Movie and now it has a number after it :thumbdown!!!!
                        Check out my other blog:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Disney selling it's soul for a quick DVD buck-(rant)

                          Originally posted by cellarhound
                          If it is was orignial Disney Movie and now it has a number after it :thumbdown!!!!
                          Wow... good thing they aren't making Magnificent 7. You might complain about Magnificent 2-7 being made in the first place!
                          -Tim

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Disney selling it's soul for a quick DVD buck-(rant)

                            FB you've made some excellent points today. I didn't realize that Andreas Deja was involved. That definitely gives it a bit more credibility. I'm still not going to buy it, but who knows, maybe I'll break down & Netflix it at some point.
                            Duct tape is like The Force. It has a dark side & a light side and it binds the Universe together.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Disney selling it's soul for a quick DVD buck-(rant)

                              Originally posted by MousEarz
                              FB you've made some excellent points today. I didn't realize that Andreas Deja was involved. That definitely gives it a bit more credibility. I'm still not going to buy it, but who knows, maybe I'll break down & Netflix it at some point.
                              According to Tony West, Andreas was not happy about being reassigned to work at that studio after the florida studio closed, but after he saw the work that was being done on it, he decided he really wanted to stay and help out the project.
                              -Tim

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X