X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michaels, Madden, and Oswald??

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11235692/

The most important part of the article, obviously, would be this:

"In exchange for letting Michaels out of his contract with ABC and ESPN, which are owned by The Walt Disney Co., NBC Universal sold ESPN cable rights to Friday coverage of the next four Ryder Cups, granted ESPN increased usage of Olympic highlights and

Finally, Oswald is coming home!!!

Re: Michaels, Madden, and Oswald??

Originally posted by Collitinius
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11235692/

The most important part of the article, obviously, would be this:

"In exchange for letting Michaels out of his contract with ABC and ESPN, which are owned by The Walt Disney Co., NBC Universal sold ESPN cable rights to Friday coverage of the next four Ryder Cups, granted ESPN increased usage of Olympic highlights and sold to The Walt Disney Co. the rights to “Oswald the Lucky Rabbit,” a character in silent cartoons made by Walt Disney from 1927-28. "

Finally, Oswald is coming home!!!
    Good hire for NBC for their Sunday Night Football package (Al Michaels and John Madden back together). As for Monday, while I love Tony Kornheiser on "PTI"...I see no reason why they (ESPN) couldn't have shifted over their already good Sunday night team of Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann and Paul Maguire over to Monday.
    And Oswald will make a dandy sideline reporter, I'm sure .
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Walt would be very happy to have Oswalt back after having the character stolen from him in the 1920's.

Comment

What a bizzare part of the deal. What would Disney do with Oswald? I guess it's good to finally have him back in the Co., but honestly I'm not sure if Walt would want him after all these years. Oswald just doesn't seem to have the best reputation and other than the fact that the Co. can now do what they will with his legacy it just seems weird that it would even come up. Someone at the bargaining table had to of had it in mind, like we'll give you Michaels but we want Oswald back... strange.
        Infinity and Beyond:
        The technology of today is changing the media of tomorrow.
        http://www.infinityandbeyond.tabert.com/

Comment

I think it's actually another good sign that someone over at Disney (Iger or whomever) is keeping their eye on the little things. Oswald may be a bit of a footnote, but he was Walt's creation and it does seem appropriate to bring him back to Disney. And really, I can think of no other good reason to bring him back other than "he belongs here" (and perhaps a new Walt Disney Treasures DVD). The fact that they thought enough of it to insert it into what was purely a transaction between sports divisions is a very encouraging thing, in my opinion.
          "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
          --John Lasseter

Comment

Disney can certainly use this character and re-work him so that he has a personality that appeals to todays viewing audiences. He would probably be a characters aimed at children though. I think Disney should make him just as important as Mickey.

Comment

Why wikipedia.org is awesome, this is already been updated on Oswald's info page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswald_The_Lucky_Rabbit

In some ways it's good he is "back" to Disney but he was only at Disney for 2 years starring in 26 out of his 192 shorts. I'm kinda mixed on it, I mean he is a Disney creation and Walt did get kinda, for lack of a better word, screwed when it comes to Oswald, but I just can't get excited about it. It seems bittersweet in some ways. Curious to see if Disney does make a Treasures DVD of his 26 shorts or if they just lock him up in the vault. Disney only got the rights to "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit" they didn't get his film library from Universal too did they?
              Infinity and Beyond:
              The technology of today is changing the media of tomorrow.
              http://www.infinityandbeyond.tabert.com/

Comment

Makes a lot of sense to NBC... when was the last time that Universal made ANY money off of Oswald?

It makes no sense anymore for Universal to use the character. It makes perfect sense for the rights to the character to be transferred -- finally, Universal can make something off of him! And, finally, Disney can stop putting him in as a footnote and acting like Alice is the start of the company, skipping to Mickey Mouse years later.

Makes good for another Treasures release, too.
                -Tim

Comment

Originally posted by jurgenb52
                  Disney only got the rights to "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit" they didn't get his film library from Universal too did they?
                  That's a good question... and whether it's only the Disney shorts or if the Lantz shorts are included, too.
                  -Tim

Comment

I think this deal was more to mend fences with the Disney Family...

To quote MarketWatch

This latest deal returns a long-lost character that some in the Disney family had cherished.

"When Bob was named CEO, he told me he wanted to bring Oswald back to Disney, and I appreciate that he is a man of his word," said Diane Disney Miller, Walt Disney's daughter, in a statement. "Having Oswald around again is going to be a lot of fun."
                    Check out my other blog:

Comment

The Walt Disney Company Press Release

Mickey Mouse's Predecessor Rejoins Disney's Family of Animated Characters through Agreement with NBC/Universal
                      Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Thanks for pointing out the MarketWatch story and the official press release. Like I said above, I think this deal shows that Iger is paying attention to the little things. It's yet another reason to really like the way Iger is running the place.

Neither the story nor the release answers the question from before -- is it just the rights to the character, or does it include the rights to the shorts??
                        Last edited by Doopey1; 02-09-2006, 12:35 PM.
                        --John Lasseter

Comment

That is Ironic... Without Oswald, there would be no Mickey... There is a certain poetic justice being done by Iger...

Owning the rights means you own the library...
                          Check out my other blog:

Comment

Originally posted by Doopey1
                            Thanks for pointing out the MarketWatch story and the official press release. Like I said above, I think this deal shows that Iger is paying attention to the little things. It's yet another reason to really like the way Iger is running the place.

Neither the story nor the release answers the question from before -- is it just the rights to the character, or does it include the rights to the shorts??
                            By Disney reacquiring the rights to the character, wouldn't that prevent NBC from ever distributing the shorts themselves? That's assuming that Disney didn't actually get the content. But go look at Darkbeer's other postings in the news section. It sounds like Disney got all of the Oswald content. Does anyone else think we'll get a Disney Treasures DVD release out of this?

By the way... good on ya, Bob Iger. I couldn't imagine the previous CEO being the slightest bit interested.
                            "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

Comment

The story posted in the News section clarifies it. Thanks, everyone, for setting me straight.
                              --John Lasseter

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X