This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RENT On DVD-- OUT NOW-

I still thinks its missing something the stage show had, I can't put my finger on...

I like it, and I PREFER the alternate ending, which actually was the original ending until it was test screened.

And I LOVE the Documentary on how RENT came to be- "No Day But Today" ... Jonathan Larsons Story is equally as incredible as the story of RENT. Almost Eeeerie. Who Knows, maybe a movie there too....

I actually bought 2 copies, one for my house, and one for my eldest Daughter, (When she is with her mom and Step-dad), I so hope those rednecks don't burn the copy I gave her (She is 14)...
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Re: RENT On DVD-- OUT NOW-

Originally posted by PanTheMan
    I still thinks its missing something the stage show had, I can't put my finger on...
    Yeah, that's been bugging the heck out of me too. I think it's missing what any musical from the stage to film is missing....the spontaniety of live theatre. I don't think you can ever fully capture that on film.

I still enjoyed the movie, and purchased it on Tuesday. And DH is using one of the songs as my ringtone on his cell phone...LOL
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today? :love:

Comment

Its more than just the energy loss of stage to screen...

More than the removal of the Christmas Bells and Halloween...

Mimi is different. Her endearing "Ditziness" is gone too....

When i saw it at teh movie theater, I was sure to go to a first showing, with lots of Rent-Heads, who sang along, and cheered...

Oh Well.....it still is good... Just not "Great"...but then again "Hair" SUCKED on film too, and was absolutly brilliant on stage. Larsen wanted this to be the "Hair" of the early 90's, he beyond exceeded there.... And this transition to film is better than what 'Hair' did.

Comment

I haven't made it to the store yet because I've been too busy with work and other stuff. My fiance is flying out to Atalnta this evening though and I'm planning to pick it up on my way home from the airport. It'll be just me and the dogs all weekend with plenty of time to kick back and enjoy it!

Comment

had this DVD since the 21st......I actually like it.....they have goodbye love and Halloween on the deleted scenes track on Disc 2...Hey, you still have to admit...It is still a great movie

Comment

I might have to rent this one first....
            -Tim

Comment

I can't wait to sink my teeth into the special features sections...

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
                I can't wait to sink my teeth into the special features sections...

The Documentary is just brilliant.... Worth the price of the DVD alone.

Comment

I cried during the Doc!! Definitely worth the price of the DVD alone. I liked the movie, couple of things should have been different, but overall I was happy how it turned out. And I'm glad they have Goodbye love and Haloween and the alternate ending on it. Good value if you get it on sale (and still worth it if you don't)
                  "Tonight I wash my hands of you
                  You set the bar I could not live up to
                  Tonight the light is breaking through
                  So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
                  Zebrahead

Comment

I hate stinking Amazon.com. I ordered it, and it doesn't come until March 6th. I was so bummed out. And I didn't even know there was an alternate ending!!! *sobs!* That's what I get for being cheap and not getting the fast fast fast delivery.
                    "Somebody need me too much; somebody know me too well. Somebody pull me up short, and put me through hell, and give me support for being alive. Make me alive. Make me alive! Make me confused; mock me with praise. Let me be used. Vary my days. But alone is alone, not alive. Somebody crowd me with love, somebody force me to care. Somebody let me come through, I'll always be there as frightened as you, to help us survive being alive."
                    --"Being Alive"
                    Company Stephen
                    Sondheim

Comment

I Cried too during the document....I would love to see suberbia....that would have been awsome

Comment

I was surprised how...unmemorable the music of RENT is after hearing about the show so often. I'm a huge Broadway buff, see a lot of shows, but RENT never looked very appealing to me. I bought the DVD and I'm pretty underwhelmed. It deserved the reviews it got.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilsbro_Mclemington_III
                          had this DVD since the 21st......I actually like it.....they have goodbye love and Halloween on the deleted scenes track on Disc 2...Hey, you still have to admit...It is still a great movie
                          I do wish for the DVD you could play it with "Goodbye Love" and "Halloween" inserted into it, in their places....

SomethingWicked ^ To each their own. I think the Music is Brilliant, the Rock Opera format, with the Modern La Boheme story is just a masterpiece. What makes it even more incredible is the story behind the writing of it, and how it came to be.

It is sort of an "Anti-Spectacle" as Larson thought the huge Shows such as Cats (Barf), Phantom, and Les Mis, were changing Musical theatre for the Worse, and he wanted a simplified minimalist type production that relied purly on story, and the power of the Music itself.
                          Which by the way is how Webber began (Joseph, and J.C. Superstar) before he gave in to the super-spectacle productions.

I find the work just remarkable.

Comment

Wow. I was really blown away by the Larson Docu!

Comment

Ok...Halloween was acceptable to leave out, but goodbye love was essential! It has so many pivitol things! It was definately needed. The alternate ending was good too cuz it closes the way it opens, when i saw it, the opening was kinda like WAT?! But I understand Chris Columbus' reasons for changing the ending...keeping our minds on angel. But i liked how they had him come back on stage.
                              BUT GOODBYE LOVE WAS NEEDED!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X