Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Musker and Ron Clements will be returning to Walt Disney Feature Animation

http://www.o-meon.com/

Sources close to the Walt Disney Company tell o-meon.com that the popular feature animation production team of John Musker and Ron Clements will be returning to Walt Disney Feature Animation (WDFA). Musker and Clements, whose work as writers and director and producer includes The Little Mermaid, Hercules, and Treasure Planet, left WDFA last year after the studio refused to green light their latest feature animation project, Fraidy Cat
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Re: John Musker and Ron Clements will be returning to Walt Disney Feature Animation

so little mermaid, great!!! hercules, ok,,, but treasure planet, STINKO!!
    however it's nice to see creativity looked at in a positive light.

Comment

Re: John Musker and Ron Clements will be returning to Walt Disney Feature Animation

Actually rumors have it that Treasure Planet got a HUGE amount of "excutive
      input" which changed the story well beyond what Muskar and Clements intended.

I've also heard a rumor that "Little Mermaid" up to "Hercules" was still on
      Walt's "to-do" list. And if you look at it that really was the point where
      things started to go the wayside.

On the other hand, I kind of liked Treasure Planet. So what do I know? :-)

BTW. Ed Catmull has a PhD in Computer Science and a very bright guy.
      He's actually the "father" of Renderman which is/was a truly revolutionary piece of software
      in its day. (Now it's just a very nice tool).

Interesting that he's involved in such a creative (and political) position. But sounds like a
      very good move for WDFA.
      Last edited by nish221; 02-28-2006, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Please put posts with external links in the community outpost.

Comment

The future does seem to be a little brighter at WDFA. And I liked treasure planet! A great story with a lot of heart, IMHO.

To each his or her own I guess!
          It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

I was so wrong about Bob Iger! This man is so AWESOME! We finally have an executive that, "gets it," and is surrounding himself with creatives and LETTING THEM DO THERE JOB! Bob if you read this THANK YOU!

Comment

They need to bring back the Brizzi Brothers

Comment

This is great news that "new" management appreciates talent. I think this is wonderful news.
                Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626
                  They need to bring back the Brizzi Brothers
                  Agreed.

But gee willikers! This is a good start!

I'll take these 'little steps' over backsliding anytime!

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Comment

There are alot of things I like about "Treasure Planet", but its troubles were numerous.

One, it reportedly had a very long and tortured development phase, no doubt involving a generous amount of managerial interference. The result is that the story and characterizations probably weren't quite where they should have been when this actually went to production.

Two, it was horribly marketed.

Three, it was Disney's second big holiday release for families in 2002, released just a couple of weeks after the surprisingly popular "The Santa Clause 2" (meaning it never had a chance to find an audience since Disney forced it to compete with another Disney release).

And four, it was Disney's second high-profile animated film of the year following "Lilo & Stitch" or third if you include "Return to Neverland". So there was probably a little bit of Disney animation fatique from moviegoers.

Obviously, most of this was out of Clements' and Musker's control. I think they did the best they could and clearly had alot of affection for the material. I agree it is encouraging if they really are being brought back. Things are continuing to look up for Disney animation!
                    Last edited by Doopey1; 03-01-2006, 10:21 AM.
                    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
                    --John Lasseter

Comment

Originally posted by Doopey1
                      Things are continuing to look up for Disney animation!
                      Things are looking up for Disney!
                      BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
                      October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
                      October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
                      April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                      October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
                      October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
                      October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
                      October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
                      December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
                      July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
                      July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
                      July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
                      February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
                      February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
                      TRIP REPORTS

Comment

This is great news.

It looks like the new regime is off to a good start at reversing the damage of the last one.

I never saw Treasure Planet, but I do know that the version that hit theaters was in no way what Musker and Clements had originally intended. So many creative decisions were made in the accounting department.
                        Their track record, not including TP, speaks for itself.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X