• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Radiobarry
    Angel Fan MC Man
    • Apr 2005

The Official 2006 World Baseball Classic Thread

Baseball is now upon us, with a new twist before the Major League Baseball season opens in the USA (and Toronto in Canada).

We have the World Baseball Classic, with the first game starting Thursday night USA time in Tokyo.

From the Disney perspective, Pool "D" games will be played from March 7 through 10 at Disney's Wide World Stadium in Florida.

And 2nd round games will be played from March 12-16 at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, about three miles from the DLR.

And television coverage is being provided by Disney's ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN Deportes.

Here's a thread for your thoughts about the concept of the games, about the games themselves, and what they mean for baseball.

I live for the start of baseball (by far my favorite sport) and this will give the start of our season here a little extra spice!!

Thank you,

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
  • Radiobarry
    Angel Fan MC Man
    • Apr 2005

Re: The Official 2006 World Baseball Classic Thread

One of the eve of the Classic's opening, a very sad story involving Angels star outfielder Vladimir Guerrero.

With a heavy heart, Vladimir Guerrero announced Wednesday that he will not participate in the World Baseball Classic.

Guerrero lost three cousins in a car accident on Sunday. The three men -- Fernando Guerrero, 26, Salvador Carmona, 25, and Henry Guerrero, 23, all on his father's side of the family -- were driving from Don Gregorio to San Cristobal in the Dominican Republic when they were involved in a one-car accident in which their vehicle rolled over several times.
    A fourth cousin, Wilmer Paulino, in his early 20s, survived the crash but remains hospitalized in San Cristobal, where he has undergone surgery on an ankle and both legs. No further details are available. Guerrero said Wednesday that he would be unable to properly represent his country and focus on baseball.

Guerrero is one of baseball's real class acts, and my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

A question. A lot of players making big money on U-S teams are playing for their native countries. The same thing happens now in international competition, like hockey and basketball.

I have mixed feelings. Should these guys play for their home countries, or for the USA, which is, after all, (with the exception of Toronto Blue Jays) where these guys are making all their money?

On the other hand, I suppose MLB wants these guys spread around in order to grow the sport's marketability.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

• Hyperbole
      I'm your huckleberry.
      • May 2005

Sad to hear about Guerrero's family! What a tragedy!

I'm not a huge fan of baseball, but even I'm excited to see this competition! I hear a lot about how great Japan's baseball organization is, it'll be interesting to see how they stack up against us and the rest of the field (I understand the Dominican Republic is a force to be reckoned with)!

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
      Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Comment

• Barbaraann
        Chicago Gal
        • Apr 2005

I thank you Radiobarry for giving me the heads up on this event. I will definitely be watching.
        BarbaraAnn

Comment

• sir clinksalot
          MiceChatter
          • Feb 2005

Here is the official site: http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/2006/index.jsp
          I'm actually thinking of getting tickets for one of the Anaheim games, just waiting to see what teams are still playing.

You can also find more info on ESPN.com. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2006/index

First off - I'm totally stoked about this tournament as baseball is also my favorite sport

Second - That sucks about Vlad, like Barry said, one of a dying breed of class-acts in MLB

Third - a hyperbole is right, the Dominican Republic is (and rightfully so) the favorite to win this competition.

Fourth - Regarding Barry's question about players playing for their home country and not the USA ... Baseball is perhaps the most global of american sports. Sure these players come to the US, make their money but most of them do so in order to support their families back home. But I also feel if players, like Alex Rodriguez, choose to play for the U.S. instead of their native country then that's okay too. I know he's gotten some grief for that and IMO it's not justified.

In this day and age of players like Barry Bonds (who will not be playing in the WCB because, let's face it, if he hits a HR it won't count towards breaking the record) it's nice to see a player with some national pride, even if that nation isn't the U.S..
          Last edited by sir clinksalot; 03-01-2006, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• Hyperbole
            I'm your huckleberry.
            • May 2005

OMG, I was right about something sports related!?!?!? I'm gonna faint!

It would be great to see one of these games in Anaheim! I may have to look into it, Edison Field is a great place to see a ball game, especially if you have kids.

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
            Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Comment

• Radiobarry
              Angel Fan MC Man
              • Apr 2005

[quote=sir clinksalot]

Third - a hyperbole is right, the Dominican Republic is (and rightfully so) the favorite to win this competition. [quote]

The Dominican is a freakin' baseball factory, even more than what it used to be!

In this day and age of players like Barry Bonds (who will not be playing in the WCB because, let's face it, if he hits a HR it won't count towards breaking the record) it's nice to see a player with some national pride, even if that nation isn't the U.S..
              Does dressing up like Paula Abdul make Bonds more of an "American Idol"?

Uhhh, I don't think so...

Comment

• Skinny Dog
                Banned User
                • Jan 2006

The games will also be broadcast on XM satelite radio. A product I can't live with out, or recommend high enough!!! GO USA.
                I attended a US Olymipic team game in Atlanta, and it was by far the most fun and best time I have ever had at a ballgame.

Comment

• ALIASd
                  Top Shelf!
                  MiceChat News Team
                  • Jun 2005

One of my favorite former boyfriends is from Venezuela so I'm gonna have to pull for 'em - hope they make it to Anaheim!
                  "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

• Radiobarry
                    Angel Fan MC Man
                    • Apr 2005

Some basics, from the aforementioned

www.worldbaseballclassic.com:

Q: How will the teams be divided for the Round 1 pools?
                    A:
                    Pool A: China, Chinese Taipei, Japan, Korea
                    Pool B: Canada, Mexico, South Africa, United States
                    Pool C: Cuba, Netherlands, Panama, Puerto Rico
                    Pool D: Australia, Italy, Dominican Republic, Venezuela

Q: How were the countries/territories selected and pools determined?
                    A: The above countries were selected for this inaugural competition because they are the best baseball-playing nations in the world and provide global representation for the event. They were divided into their respective pools based on geography and competitive balance. Q: When will World Baseball Classic games take place?
                    A: The World Baseball Classic will take place over an 18-day period (14 days for teams outside the Asia pool). To allow time for travel, the Round 1 Asia pool will begin on Friday, March 3* with the remaining three Round 1 pools beginning play on Tuesday, March 7. Both Round 2 pools will begin play on Sunday, March 12. Both Semi-Final games will be played on Saturday, March 18 and the Final will be held on Monday, March 20.

The opening weekend features games in Pool A, at the TokyoDome in Japan. The Korea vs. Chinese Taipei game starts Thursday night at 6:30pm Pacific Time.

Team USA opens with Mexico next Tuesday afternoon at Chase Field in Phoenix (The old "BOB").

Pool "D" first round games are set for next week at the WDW area complex...

Second round games at Angel Stadium, Anaheim

Finals at Petco Park, San Diego

I can't wait! Enjoy!

Comment

• Skinny Dog
                      Banned User
                      • Jan 2006

Plenty of tickets avaliable at Anahiem

Comment

• Radiobarry
                        Angel Fan MC Man
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Skinny Dog
                        Plenty of tickets avaliable at Anahiem
                        My guess is that this is an event that will build a lot of interest after the first few days.
                        Last edited by Radiobarry; 03-01-2006, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• sir clinksalot
                          MiceChatter
                          • Feb 2005

^ Agreed.

Going to talk to the woman about getting tickets this weekend and taking the boy. My guess is he won't care who's playing anyway.

Comment

• Radiobarry
                            Angel Fan MC Man
                            • Apr 2005

Let the games begin...tonight, Korea vs. Chinese Taipei at 6:30pm PST...9:30pm EST...from Tokyo...

Comment

• Barbaraann
                              Chicago Gal
                              • Apr 2005

I am going to have to stay up late to catch some games, or get up very early.
                              BarbaraAnn

Comment

• Radiobarry
                                Angel Fan MC Man
                                • Apr 2005

Good news in the opener for Dodger fans:

Jae-Weong Seo pitched two-hit ball and Chan Ho Park worked three effective innings for a save to lead South Korea past Taiwan 2-0 on Friday in the opener of the inaugural World Baseball Classic.
                                The 16-nation tournament started at 11:30 a.m. local time and was played before a sparse crowd of 5,193 at Tokyo Dome. Japan was scheduled to play its first game later Friday against China.
                                Seo started and struck out three in 3 2/3 innings. The Los Angeles Dodgers right-hander threw 61 pitches -- under tournament rules, starting pitchers are limited to 65 pitches in the first round.
                                Park, who pitches for the San Diego Padres, gave up two hits in the ninth but got pinch-hitter Chih-Yao Chan to ground out to end the game.
                                Jae-Weong Seo pitched two-hit ball and Chan Ho Park worked three effective innings for a save to lead South Korea past Taiwan 2-0 in the opener of the inaugural World Baseball Classic.

More games to come in Tokyo - Tivo is a nice thing to have!! Team USA starts Tuesday - your thoughts are welcome here.

Comment

• PanTheMan
                                  NEVER to Old To Fly...

• May 2005

Look at this team....wow....no excuses. BEST baseball team the earth presently offers....

GO USA!!!
                                  -----------------------------------------------
                                  DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

• PanTheMan
                                    NEVER to Old To Fly...

• May 2005

And I agree with this Article- Play the games in November-

-----------------------------------------------
                                    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

• Radiobarry
                                      Angel Fan MC Man
                                      • Apr 2005

No question that the U-S is putting a star-studded lineup on the field. Since the Yankees are my 31st favorite team (30 overall in the MLB) It'll be tough for me to root for A-Rod, Jeter, even Roger Clemens (a life-long Angel killer). But, alas, for the good of the country, I shall.

The Dominicans will be hurt by the loss of the Ramirezes and Guerrero, certainly.

Good to see Jimmy Lefebvre back in the dugout, in Japan -

Thank you,

Barry

Comment

• DMof2
                                        most magical vaca ever
                                        • Sep 2005

<---- GO USA!!!!!

Since the Yankees are my 31st favorite team (30 overall in the MLB) It'll be tough for me to root for A-Rod, Jeter, even Roger Clemens (a life-long Angel killer). But, alas, for the good of the country, I shall.
                                        Welcome Always taking on new fans :lol:
                                        ~~~:ap:~~~

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X