• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel suits up Jon Favreau for 'Iron Man'

April 28, 2006
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Marvel Studios outlines slew of superhero titles

Marvel Studios has hired Jon Favreau to develop and direct the big-screen adaptation of "Iron Man" and has attracted an impressive roster of writers to help bring some of its high-profile characters such as Captain America and Thor to the big screen. Favreau will direct a feature version of Marvel's armored hero and develop the script with the writing team of Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway ("Convoy"). The project originally was set up at New Line with Nick Cassavetes directing. In the comic, Iron Man's real identity is that of billionaire industrialist Tony Stark, who develops an armored suit that lets him fly and shoot "repulsor rays." The comic debuted in the 1960s, and Iron Man's origin involved Stark being a prisoner of the Viet Cong. The comic evolved into Stark fighting spies, both political and industrial, while also battling alcoholism. (Borys Kit)
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1002424612
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: Marvel suits up Jon Favreau for 'Iron Man'

When I read the title of this thread I thought HE was gonna star in it and I was thinking ok, he better get into shape like when he did his Friends stint because he's really let himself go the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Olympicnut
      When I read the title of this thread I thought HE was gonna star in it and I was thinking ok, he better get into shape like when he did his Friends stint because he's really let himself go the past few years.
      Ha - gotcha! That was great when he was training for the Ultimate Fighting Championship. But then Favs got married and directed 'Zathura'...
      "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Iron Man was one of my favorite comics as a kid. Despite his superpowers--which all came from his iron suit--he was very complex and vulnerable. In addition to the alcoholism, Tony Stark was also the first superhero alter ego to suffer a heart attack. The guy was a mess, but the iron suit ROCKED!
        Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Comment

LOVE Iron Man!

and his hot cousin, The Rocketeer!

Comment

05.23.2006 12:07 PM EDT

Have Doubts About The 'Iron Man' Movie? Jon Favreau Wants To Hear Them

Director reveals film details, takes suggestions from fans of the comic hero via MySpace.

'Iron Man Movie Group' and I'm on there, answering questions."
            http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/artic...03/story.jhtml

Comment

Iron Man Claims First Weekend of May, '08
              June 22, 2006
              Variety

While several tentpoles, such as the second "Chronicles of Narnia" film from Disney, are slated for 2008, Iron Man is the first 2008 summer tentpole to claim a firm release date. While Marvel has yet to nail down financing for the big screen adaptation, the movie is set for a May 2, 2008 release. Jon Favreau directs.

When Marvel set up the $525 million credit facility for its 10-picture slate with Merrill Lynch in April 2005, the company had yet to re-acquire rights to The Hulk from Universal and Iron Man from New Line.

According to terms of the agreement, Marvel can attach new characters to the loan but must receive permission from Merrill Lynch. Marvel general counsel John Turitzin said the company expects to start talks on Iron Man soon and hopes to secure permission in the fall, sometime before the film is officially greenlit and starts production late this year or early 2007.

Marvel currently has two separate writing teams -- Matt Hollaway and Art Markum (Convoy), and Mark Fergus and Hawk Otsby (First Snow) -- working on drafts.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...goryID=13&cs=1

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X