This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It's Alive!: Bringing Animatronic Characters To Life on Film" exhibit

The Empire Strikes Back) to the giant ape Harry (of Harry and the Hendersons) possible. Although the advent of CGI has given filmmakers a different range of options when designing these characters, such recent films as Herbie Fully Loaded and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy have elected to use animatronics to allow real time performance.

102 Dalmatians
    102 Dalmatians, Alien3, AVP: Alien vs. Predator, An American Werewolf in London, Beetlejuice, Cats & Dogs, The Dark Crystal, Doctor Dolittle, George of the Jungle, Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Labyrinth, Little Shop of Horrors, Jurassic Park, Men in Black II, Mighty Joe Young, Predator, Robocop, The Santa Clause 2, Short Circuit, Snow Dogs and Spider-Man 2.
    http://www.oscars.org/events/animatronics/index.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: "It's Alive!: Bringing Animatronic Characters To Life on Film" exhibit

when does it finish? and where in hollywood is it located?
    THIS sounds really cool

Comment

sorry Beverly Hills

Comment

You know what's fun and informative? clicking the link...
        "Tonight I wash my hands of you
        You set the bar I could not live up to
        Tonight the light is breaking through
        So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
        Zebrahead

Comment

Yep, the link has the dates, times and location, all right there to read, and pictures too. I plan to go to this one as it looks like a lot of fun.
          Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

Yoda was a puppet, not an animatronic.

Comment

I read the thread title and my first thought was 'Oh jeeze.. they went and made a movie about The Tiki Room now?'
              Growing older is manditory
              Growing up is however, optional

Comment

YES!! It's FREE!! Hehe!

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                -Jurassic Park

Comment

Originally posted by aimster
                  Yoda was a puppet, not an animatronic.
                  He was a puppet and apparently also an animatronic,
                  he's #10 in the exhibit photos now featured on the site
                  http://www.oscars.org/events/animatronics/index.html
                  "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Just went to this yesterday. Secruity asks for your Driver's license/ID and writes it down in his log, gives back ID, and you're handed visitor's pass. 1st floor has photos. 4th has the animatronics. It's pretty cool to actually be there and see the stuff close up. It's all free. I spent around 1 hour to view the entire exhibit.

Parking might be a little tricky. I passed by the building, and ended up in 2hr parking in residential street. The building is gray/black with tinted windows all on the wilshire side street. No one else was really there with me. You can stay there as long as you want. And it's air-conditioned

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                    -Jurassic Park

Comment

So glad you had a chance to see the exhibit. The AMPAS has many events, screenings and exhibitions throughout the year to enjoy and for many people it's a chance (or excuse) to visit a special place in Beverly Hills. Their schedule and info can be found at http://www.oscars.org/

Comment

Creatures, Monsters
                        Extend Stay at Academy

A full-size animatronic gorilla head from "Mighty Joe Young" is on display at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' exhibition, "It's Alive! Bringing Animatronic Characters to Life on Film." Gorilla head courtesy of Rick Baker/Cinovation Studios.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is located at 8949 Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills. For more information call (310) 247-3600.
                        # # #

Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
                        8949 Wilshire Boulevard Beverly Hills, CA 90211-1972
                        (310) 247-3000

Comment

There is a very modest display of Jim Hensons Animatronics (icluding the Waldo controller) at the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.

Shame I'm not in L.A. I would love to see this exhibit

Comment

I went to this a few weeks ago. Very impressive, I loved it
                            I liked Aslan from Narnia the best..or those things from Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

Comment

OMG! EMMET OTTER!!!

I would love to see the rest of the Jim Henson stuff!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X