• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarzan Arrives on Broadway, Airborne - The New York Times 5/11/06

Tarzan Arrives on Broadway, Airborne
    By Ben Brantley
    The New York Times

Published: May 11, 2006

The tree-surfing title character is not the only creature sailing through the air in "Tarzan," the giant, writhing green blob with music that opened last night at the Richard Rogers Theater. Apes, flowers, moths, a snake, a leopard, a hut-size spider, two shipwrecked Victorians, an English botanist in her underwear: no sooner do such figures make their entrances in this restless adaptation of the 1999 Disney animated film than they find themselves pulled into some kind of airborne aerobics.

Sara Krulwich/The New York Times
    Jenn Gambatese and Josh Strickland, a musical Jane and Tarzan.

Heinz Kluetmeier
    Stefan Raulston, foreground, Andy Pellick and other members of the ensemble of "Tarzan," which opened last night at the Richard Rodgers.

Almost everybody and everything swings in "Tarzan." Which is odd, since the show itself, to borrow from Duke Ellington's famous credo, definitely ain't got that swing.

"Tarzan" is the latest, and most insistently kinetic, offering from Disney Theatrical Productions, the Goliath that conquered little old Broadway by turning cartoon movies from its mother company into stage shows, including "Beauty and the Beast" and "The Lion King." Directed (and largely designed) by Bob Crowley, with songs by Phil Collins and a book by David Henry Hwang, "Tarzan" feels as fidgety and attention-deficient as the toddlers who kept straying from their seats during the performance I saw.
    http://theater2.nytimes.com/2006/05/...ws/11tarz.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: Tarzan Arrives on Broadway, Airborne - The New York Times 5/11/06

Well it isn't as horrible as Lestat, but that really isn't saying much...

The reviews on this have been mixed to bad. I've been hearing that "The Drowsy Chaperone" is the thing to see on Broadway right now
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
    sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

Originally posted by Chernabog
      The reviews on this have been mixed to bad. I've been hearing that "The Drowsy Chaperone" is the thing to see on Broadway right now
      That is a wonderful show, I had a chance to see it here at the Ahmanson in December.
      "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Chernabog
        Well it isn't as horrible as Lestat, but that really isn't saying much...

Lestat wasnt bad...just flat. I saw it in San Francisco, and liked it. The main problem Lestat had was Elton john doesn't do re-writes and thinks it is perfect from the moment it leaves his hand. I heard they had a hell of a time dealing with him.

Tarzan, from what i've heard is worse of the 2.
        -----------------------------------------------
        DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

it doesn't tell a good story??

no climax?? people can't help but to not pay attention??

i thought they had like 2 months of previews for this?

(maybe it was that one performance with thew no paying attention.. but no climax means bad story...)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X