X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy dies after riding Disney rollercoaster

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...l=chi-news-hed

A boy died today after riding the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Disney MGM Studios theme park, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

The boy, who was reported to be either 7 or 12 by authorities, was declared dead en route to an area hospital. The rescue call came in this morning about 11:20 a.m.

According to state records reviewed by the Orlando Sentinel, this would be the seventh person to die at a Disney attraction since the Christmas season of 2004.

The coaster, known for its fast start and pulsating Aerosmith soundtrack, is the second-fastest ride at Disney, with a top speed of 57 mph. According to the Disney Web site, "This attraction pulls between 4 and 5 big, fat, monster Gs. Space shuttle astronauts, by comparison, experience 3 Gs at liftoff.''

The indoor ride catapults people from zero-to-60 mph in 2.8 seconds. Riders speed through a make-believe night of Southern California in a 24-passenger stretch limo. The ride climbs to 85 feet and goes by Hollywood landmarks. It includes five inversions.

Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Re: Boy dies after riding Disney rollercoaster

oh boy...

Comment

My thoughts and prayers to that boys friends and family.
      May God keep him close.
      Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

Comment

Jeez! On Rock & Rollercoaster no less.
        sigpic
        Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends. What a tragic time, and and I hope God keeps him and his family close.
          Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Comment

The article has just been updated with new info...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...home-headlines

The boy was declared dead en route to Celebration Hospital after the 11:30 a.m. incident.

Disney said it closed the attraction "pending an investigation. An initial review of the attraction shows the ride was operating normally."

"We offer the family our deepest sympathies," Disney said in an statement about 2:46 p.m. "A company representative is with them providing assistance."

According to state records reviewed by the Orlando Sentinel, this would be the seventh person to die at a Disney attraction since the Christmas season of 2004.

Comment

The Official Statement released by Walt Disney World:

A 12-year-old male Guest was transported by ambulance to Celebration Hospital today at approximately 11:30 after riding Rock 'N' Roller Coaster. We subsequently learned that he passed away.

We offer the family our deepest sympathies. A company representative is with them providing assistance.

We have closed the attraction pending an investigation. An initial review of the attraction shows the ride was operating normally. We have notified Orange County law enforcement. The state Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection has also been notified and will observe the inspection and review of the attraction.

Comment

Rip
                Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
                Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

Comment

Even though this one may also prove to not be Disney's fault, this still can't be good PR for them.

My heart goes out to this family.

Comment

Wow. It will be interesting to see the reported cause. That's horrible. No parents, or young boy, expects to get on a rollercoaster, and die, or have their son die.

Comment

http://www.forbes.com/business/comme...ap2850160.html

The Orange County sheriff's office said the boy was 7, but Disney officials said he was 12. The discrepancy couldn't immediately be explained. He died after he was brought by ambulance to a hospital at about 11:30 a.m., a Disney statement said.

"We don't know if it is a trauma or medical call," sheriff's spokesman Jim Solomons said.

The sheriff's office is investigating. State park safety officials were also notified, Disney said, and park officials closed the ride.

Comment

i just heard this on the news

Friends for life

Comment

OMG!!!

My thoughts and prayers are with the boys family....
                          procrastibating

Comment

I am so sorry to hear this, on all counts. My heart goes out to their family.

Peace, hopefully,
                            Roo
                            husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Wonder what the cause is...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X