Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPOILER WARNING Pirates of the Carribean 2 or An Empire Strikes Back

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SPOILER WARNING Pirates of the Carribean 2 or An Empire Strikes Back

    Does anyone else notice the similarities between these two movies as far as character development and such go?

    I mean just think of Jack as Han Solo... secondary character, "dies" at the end of the movie courageously in an inevitable situation to save the girl. They both get a kiss before they go... faces death with humor...

    I mean, common! Will is Luke, the young boy from a blacksmith (farm) who's learning his ways as a pirate (jedi) and fights for good.

    And Elizabeth is Leah, a young extreamly underestemated and powerful woman who is stuck somewhere between Will and Jack (although I personaly think she's 110% Will).

    Gibbs as Lando Corrisian

    Also R2 D2 and C3P0 could be equalized with Pintel and Ragetti

    And lets see, a hook at the end of the movie...

    Anyone else see the similarities? Cause to me they're glarring

  • #2
    Re: SPOILER WARNING Pirates of the Carribean 2 or An Empire Strikes Back

    Originally posted by Weekly-Visitor
    Does anyone else notice the similarities between these two movies as far as character development and such go?

    I mean just think of Jack as Han Solo... secondary character, "dies" at the end of the movie courageously in an inevitable situation to save the girl. They both get a kiss before they go... faces death with humor...

    I mean, common! Will is Luke, the young boy from a blacksmith (farm) who's learning his ways as a pirate (jedi) and fights for good.

    And Elizabeth is Leah, a young extreamly underestemated and powerful woman who is stuck somewhere between Will and Jack (although I personaly think she's 110% Will).

    Gibbs as Lando Corrisian

    Also R2 D2 and C3P0 could be equalized with Pintel and Ragetti

    And lets see, a hook at the end of the movie...

    Anyone else see the similarities? Cause to me they're glarring
    dont forget the cannibal / ewok scene... trying to blow out the flames too !!
    So, as they say at Big Thunder Mountain -- "Hold on to your hats and glasses cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!" i like west better

    http://rze51.smugmug.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: SPOILER WARNING Pirates of the Carribean 2 or An Empire Strikes Back

      In "Hero with a Thousand Faces," writer Jon Moyers (sic?) talks about how the tales of fables are all alike. There is a hero, a rogue, sidekicks, heroines and such. So it's not totally out there that some of the story sounds and feels so familiar.

      Heck Star Wars is like Wizard of Oz which could be like E.T. which you could compare with Saving Private Ryan. A sense of loss, a drawing together of unlikely characters on a quest for some item or idea, magical/spiritual elements that underline the main story, I mean, you can do that with any ensemble piece.

      You do, however, have to think abstractly enough to make the connections.

      As movies replace the need for myth (also mentioned profusely in the book), you might even notice more.

      Does that make it bad? I guess that really depends on the presentation.

      peace!
      Roo
      husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: SPOILER WARNING Pirates of the Carribean 2 or An Empire Strikes Back

        It's Leia, just to let you know

        I was actually discussing this with my friends after the movie.

        I would say that Gibbs is actually Yoda.




        Comment


        • #5
          Re: SPOILER WARNING Pirates of the Carribean 2 or An Empire Strikes Back

          Or Obi Wan, but I was figguring since he was a pirate Lando would do the best.

          I know that most stories follow that specific thread. But the actuall presentation of POTC2 is identical to the one of ESB, especially if you compare Jack Sparrow and Harrison Ford

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: SPOILER WARNING Pirates of the Carribean 2 or An Empire Strikes Back

            dont forget the cannibal / ewok scene... trying to blow out the flames too !!
            That was in Return of the Jedi, not Empire Strikes Back.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: SPOILER WARNING Pirates of the Carribean 2 or An Empire Strikes Back

              I so agree with you! My cousin and I saw it opening day and left feeling empty because nothing really was tied up. The same way you feel after watching the 5th movie of Star Wars. It's all about linking movies together. Good tie together.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: SPOILER WARNING Pirates of the Carribean 2 or An Empire Strikes Back

                Gibbs is more like Chewbacca, considering he's Jack's sidekick
                Norrington is more like Lando Calrissian in how he betrays everybody in the end.
                Tia Dalma is Yoda as both live in swamps and give out advice that's barely intelligible.
                The Hammerhead shark guy is probably Boba Fett or something....
                M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                sigpic
                Flickr

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: SPOILER WARNING Pirates of the Carribean 2 or An Empire Strikes Back

                  Hubby said exactly the same thing - "That was just like The Empire Strikes Back"!! But since I am not a Star Wars fan, I really had no idea what he was talking about.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: SPOILER WARNING Pirates of the Carribean 2 or An Empire Strikes Back

                    Originally posted by FigmentJedi
                    Gibbs is more like Chewbacca, considering he's Jack's sidekick
                    Norrington is more like Lando Calrissian in how he betrays everybody in the end.
                    Tia Dalma is Yoda as both live in swamps and give out advice that's barely intelligible.
                    The Hammerhead shark guy is probably Boba Fett or something....
                    I agree, your break down is much better. The similarities are stunning, I didnt even consider Tia Dalma as Yoda...

                    Props! Kudos!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: SPOILER WARNING Pirates of the Carribean 2 or An Empire Strikes Back

                      Originally posted by aimster
                      That was in Return of the Jedi, not Empire Strikes Back.

                      "you need to find yourself a girl mate"
                      So, as they say at Big Thunder Mountain -- "Hold on to your hats and glasses cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!" i like west better

                      http://rze51.smugmug.com/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: SPOILER WARNING Pirates of the Carribean 2 or An Empire Strikes Back

                        Originally posted by rze51
                        "you need to find yourself a girl mate"
                        "Or maybe he's already found one but is otherwise incapable of wooing said maiden. Not a nerd living in the basement is he?"
                        M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                        sigpic
                        Flickr

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: SPOILER WARNING Pirates of the Carribean 2 or An Empire Strikes Back

                          Thought the same thing..."Empire." But since Empire is one of my all time fav films..."Yup, I'm good with it!"

                          (At least this time we don't have to wait 3 years for the next film!)
                          Originally posted by migo
                          I poop with joy!
                          Best Quote...EVER!!!


                          Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: SPOILER WARNING Pirates of the Carribean 2 or An Empire Strikes Back

                            og wait, i've got a better one!!!!!! let me find the pic before i explain

                            found it



                            by no means is it exact, however i kindof cocked my head at bit at the end with the whole gun thing......just the people placement.....ah well


                            i giggled, Johnny said he felt like a dirty old man in the first one......he's gotts feel worse now!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: SPOILER WARNING Pirates of the Carribean 2 or An Empire Strikes Back

                              Are Will and Elizabeth brother and sister?

                              EW!
                              What an idiot....

                              Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X