This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29 years ago today

Today marks the 29th anniversary of the tragic passing of The King, Elvis Presley. For those of you alive back then (I wasn't), where were you and what were you doing when you heard about Elvis' death?
    Originally posted by aashee
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Re: 29 years ago today

I remember very clearly...

I was seventeen working at my summer job at a flower shop. I had just taken my break and was enjoying a Coke and a Baby Ruth candy bar while I opened up the shop's mail in the back at a work table. I was listening to the radio when the news broke. I was stunned...I dropped my candy bar and the mail. I went out to the showroom and told the gals working up there. We all couldn't believe it...then the radio starting playing his songs...
    Boo!

Comment

I always joke that I killed Elvis. See, I was born and three days later....he died. :evil:

Comment

Originally posted by BDBopper
        Today marks the 29th anniversary of the tragic passing of The King, Elvis Presley. For those of you alive back then (I wasn't), where were you and what were you doing when you heard about Elvis' death?
        Just for your information, Elvis is not dead. he is alive and working at a Burger king in Reno Neveda.
        THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

Comment

I was 10 years old and had the unfortunate task of hearing the news before my Elvis-fanatic mom did and then had to break it to her. She didn't believe me at first, thinking I was pulling her leg. It was a sad day around the house.
          "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
          - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Motorboat Cruiser
            I was 10 years old and had the unfortunate task of hearing the news before my Elvis-fanatic mom did and then had to break it to her. She didn't believe me at first, thinking I was pulling her leg. It was a sad day around the house.
            Wow! What a memory!

Comment

I was 3. We were up north camping when they announced it on the news.

Comment

I will now perform my Tribute to Elvis....

Thanks Elvis.
                What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

Comment

I love Elvis
                  :crazylegs

Comment

My mother and I where on vacation at the beach. We where just listing to a radio while we were on the beach and relaxing. Guess I will remember that day just as well as I do the day the Challenger blew up or a few other sad memories. The bummer is that we had tickets to see him a mere 4 weeks later. Elvis will always be the KING!
                    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!
                    sigpic

Comment

Brian - thanks for starting this thread. I remember quite clearly where I was when the news broke...for the record, I was 21...and working a day shift in the Plaza Pavillion Central Kitchen. We were listening to K-Earth 101, which at that time played a mix of top 40 and "oldies", which meant they played a lot of Elvis of course.

I was preparing racks of ribs for later preparation and serving at the Tahitian Terrace. There were three other prep cooks, the Pavillion's fry cook, and various other kitchen personnel scurrying about as usual when K-Earth broke the news. Everyone stopped as if on cue.

After a second, I finished my ribs and was wheeling a large container of them into a walk-in refrigerator, when, and I'll never forget this...my lead said to me, Barry...the King Of Rock And Roll is Dead..and all you can do is put your ribs away?

August 16, 1977.

Walking across Main Street after my shift I could hear guests in the park talking about it. On the drive home every radio station was either talking about him, and when I got home I went over to our next door neighbor...a 40-or so year old woman at the time, who had a collection of Elvis memorobilia so vast that it was catalogued and cross-referenced in a 300-page binder. She was crying, and a group of us joined her in listening to the King that night and lighting candles.

Elvis was a great performer. He could do rock'n'roll (obviously) but his real roots were in country music and gospel...some of his religious recordings are wonderous!

The King. And always will be.

--Barry
                      God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Any thoughts on your Elvis favorites....

Music...I break it down into vintage (50's) Elvis and later (late 60's and 70's) Elvis...

Vintage..,Can't Help Fallin' In Love
                        Vintage gospel - Cryin In The Chapel (what a tremendous gospel/hymn singer he was)

Modern...Suspicious Minds

Movies...Blue Hawaii and Viva Las Vegas

Long Live The King!

--Barry
                        God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

ooooo, I LOVE Elvis. Okay, so, I don't have a story to put here...I'm only 26...I wasn't even thought of yet when he died. But, I was raised with parents who grew up in the 50's and so, learned to love great music like CCR, the Beach Boys, Jerry Lee Lewis...and although my parents didn't like Elvis. I have grown to be a fan. (Probably through the Lilo and Stitch soundtrack)...anyway, Elvis was supposed to be the first performer here at the opening of our Mississippi Coast Colliseum..but, died a few weeks before he could. The resort he spent a summer at is just 5 mins away from my house. He was a great performer, it's so sad that this happened to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry
                            Vintage gospel - Cryin In The Chapel (what a tremendous gospel/hymn singer he was).
                            In my opinion, Elvis was at his absolute best when singing gospel music. In most of his other stuff, there is always this underlying smirk of "I'm just havin' fun". Not to say that he wasn't dedicated in other areas, but his gospel recordings are so focused and so incredible.
                            "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
                            - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Motorboat Cruiser
                              In my opinion, Elvis was at his absolute best when singing gospel music. In most of his other stuff, there is always this underlying smirk of "I'm just havin' fun". Not to say that he wasn't dedicated in other areas, but his gospel recordings are so focused and so incredible.
                              Man is that the truth. Elvis could sing gospel like no one else. The man just had a fantastic voice. The King lives forever in our hearts.
                              Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!
                              sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X