• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • merlinjones
    Minion
    • Jan 2005

No More Maltin Disneyland Treasures?

Someone posted this note from Leonard Maltin on the net:

"I have been told that there will be no more Treasures, and of course I'm disappointed. I have the exact same questions you do about "unfinished business," and I wish I had answers, but I don't. Nor have I been told what they plan to do under the Legacy imprint. That this series exists at all is a minor miracle, and I feel grateful that we had a six-year run with it. cheers, Leonard Maltin"

Rats! They haven't finished releasing all the shorts yet - - or the TV episodes I'd hoped for.

Think of all the classic Disneyland park material we have yet to get on DVD...

Write to Disney!

Sneak-peak movie reviews on upcoming films in theaters, releases on DVD & Blu-ray, and film critiques and insights to timeless classics and indie films.
    “I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.” -- Walt Disney
  • Hayley B
    Delawarean Girl
    • Jun 2006

Re: No More Maltin Disneyland Treasures?

I said my answer to this in here. What is your favorite Walt Disney Treasure?

Still; How sad. I do love the Disney Treasures very much and I love to listen to Leonard Maltin.
    Hayley B. - MiceChat's very own Delawarean. :bow:

Join MiceChat Gold.

Comment

• Disney Wrassler
      Get the Iodine!
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      • Jul 2005

Good idea Disney! You shouldn't sell material people want and are willing to buy! You shouldn't capitalize on meterial that we want.

If this is indeed true, who the heck makes these ridiculous decisions at Disney? The Disney Treasures collection was definatly a money maker for the company.

I hope Disney reads this thread and realize the mistake they are making.

Comment

• Lore
        Animatronic
        • Mar 2005

To be honest, they seem like they are throwing out crumbs. Other companies release entire series in box sets. Disney releases a box, which is mostly hollow, and has one or two DVDs in it. Instead of releasing "Disneyland TV show", they release a few episodes tied to a narrow theme which take up too much space on your shelf.

I still buy a few of them, and I still want them to release more, but the appeal is narrow and the price high, so I could see them not all selling well.

I want them to blow their wad. Make a set with a dozen DVDs and such strong appeal it's hard not to buy, and one that stores easy too! No giant mouse heads Disney!

Comment

• Waltvs.Ub
          New MiceChatter
          • Nov 2006

Thesa are currently my favourite Disney product, especially Silly Symphonies.
          sigpic"It could've been Iwerksland"

Comment

• Mac Daddy
            Nikon +Disneyland = :)
            MiceChat Round-Up Crew
            • Jun 2005

Who needs Disney Treasures when you can buy Bambi 25?

:bang:

Comment

• Druggas
              Hooterville, USA
              • Feb 2005

Doesn't sound Disney like to not even tell Maltin.

Shame on Disney.
              sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

• cellarhound
                MiceChatter
                • Jan 2005

I really don't know what the point of this series is if it doesn't release all of the material it has to offer. It has been slow trickling out content. The content isn't always the material that I have wanted to see. I want to see the release of Zorro... I want to see the later Disneyland specials throughout the years... I want to see programing from early Disney Channel.

The programing was not "fully restored" or remastered. It was retreads of later edits. And it was specifically targeted at a certain age range, and pretty much screeched to a hault, I think mostly because there was not enough volume.

On the up side I am happy with the material they did release... Because it didn't seem like I would see this material again in any other condition.
                Check out my other blog:

Comment

• Disney Wrassler
                  Get the Iodine!
                  MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                  • Jul 2005

I agree with Cellar. Plus I would enjoy seeing a Zorro release as well.

Comment

• Guy Hutchinson
                    Drunk On Disney
                    • Aug 2005

Oh no! Maybe some of the rest of the cartoons will be released as part of the new Legacy collection.
                    sigpic
                    Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

Comment

• merlinjones
                      Minion
                      • Jan 2005

More on Treasures cancellation - - not sales problem?

“I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past.” -- Walt Disney

Comment

• Disney Wrassler
                        Get the Iodine!
                        MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                        • Jul 2005

A poster already posted that stuff here on MC Merlin .
                        Here's the thread: No more Treasures!

Comment

• MasterGracey
                          Dateline Disneylander
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Lore View Post
                          To be honest, they seem like they are throwing out crumbs. Other companies release entire series in box sets. Disney releases a box, which is mostly hollow, and has one or two DVDs in it. Instead of releasing "Disneyland TV show", they release a few episodes tied to a narrow theme which take up too much space on your shelf.

I still buy a few of them, and I still want them to release more, but the appeal is narrow and the price high, so I could see them not all selling well.

I want them to blow their wad. Make a set with a dozen DVDs and such strong appeal it's hard not to buy, and one that stores easy too! No giant mouse heads Disney!
                          Agreed.

I'm tired of being a pigeon, hoping for the next crumb. I want "Walt Disney's Disneyland" - the entire series in a mega boxed set.

Do what they did with the Musical History of Disneyland CD set - make a limited edition version of the set that collectors will go crazy over, and make a normal set that general fans will enjoy just as much.

Then they can release Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color in a similar boxed set, and on-and-on......

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

Comment

• Mac Daddy
                            Nikon +Disneyland = :)
                            MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                            • Jun 2005

And what the freak is this? (from the link above)

so that Treasures will not sideline newer products that Home Video management wants to launch.
                            Not sideline newer products? Even WITH Lasseter on board, are we still looking forward to Lady and the Tramp III, and Lion King 14.7? Is THIS what is cutting into their marketing efforts?

Comment

• mcow1
                              Forum Sommelier
                              MiceChat Moderator
                              • May 2005

But they never finished Donald so they haven't put out my favorite, Trick Or Treat. Not to mention Zorro, how can you put out the Hardy Boys and not Zorro?
                              Mike

Comment

• disneytim
                                Thanking the Academy
                                MiceChat News Team
                                • Jul 2005

While I'm disappointed Disney is/may be discontinuing the Treasures series, I'm not surprised. Despite a report to the contrary, I think sales volume is playing a role. I remember when the first Disney Treasures came out (Mickey in Living Color, Davy Crockett, Disneyland USA and Silly Symphonies), they sold quickly and were hard to find after only a few weeks of release. Some of the subsequent releases did as well (The Complete Goofy comes to mind right away). I haven't noticed the later waves jumping off the shelves nearly as fast (this is an entirely unscientific observation, mind you).

Also, I think most of the unreleased material Disney has left in the vault appeals mostly to hardcore collectors like us and has limited sales potential to the mainstream consumer. Zorro may be the one exception to that and hopefully we'll see it in a Legacy Collection release one day. I just don't think Disney will be able to move enough silver tins to make future releases viable. When you look at it, even the upcoming Legacy releases are a stretch. Destino is a Disney oddity at best, and though Disneyphiles have a soft spot for Oswald, that silent pre-Mickey rubber hose animation is not going to find favor with audiences accustomed to Nick and Cartoon Network.

The Disney Treasures had a good run while they lasted, but it's time for them to move on.
                                Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Comment

• Alchimedes
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Jan 2005

How disappointing. :botox: I'm fortunate to have them all and have enjoyed them. Disneytim has a great point about the mainstream customers not jumping on the other sets.

Zorro was released this Season 1 last year(2006) through the Disney Movie Club. But is a disappointment because it had no extras and it was colorized (instead of black and white) badly. It should have been part of the "Treasures" series with behind the scenes, bonus features etc.

Bad show Disney.:botox:
                                  1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

• Chernabog
                                    Earth Intruder
                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by disneytim View Post
                                    The Disney Treasures had a good run while they lasted, but it's time for them to move on.
                                    Originally posted by Druggas
                                    Doesn't sound Disney like to not even tell Maltin.
                                    Specifically, it is time for them to move on FROM LEONARD MALTIN.

Apparently, a lot of people were really pissed off at him for screwing up the past treasures.

How quickly we forget him passing blame for things like terrible quality control, EDITED versions of shows that were advertised as unedited, terrible VHS copies of Donald transferred unclean to DVD, etc. etc.

Sorry, but Leonard Maltin is like the Krusty the Clown of the DVD world. Stamp his name and likeness, and a little clip, on a ton of DVD releases, wonder why people are pissed off, and instead of saying "oops I screwed up, I'll make sure the next thing with MY NAME ON IT is a quality release" he basically says "oh! It's not MY fault!".

Sorry Leonard, but you KNOW the complaints on the past treasures. Since you aren't going to a) acknowledge problems or b) fix them, then really it is time for you to move the hell on.

And my MC friends I am sure all of the unreleased stuff WILL be released someday, I mean... if Disney can make money off of it, they'll figure out a way.
                                    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                                    sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

• cellarhound
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Chernabog View Post
                                      Sorry Leonard, but you KNOW the complaints on the past treasures. Since you aren't going to a) acknowledge problems or b) fix them, then really it is time for you to move the hell on.

No, I would still be pissed, because there was a time when having the Disney stampped on the side of the box ment "quality" and "attention to detail." These problems would NEVER happen to begin with pre-Eisner...

If you noticed Roy refused to put his name back on the series once he got back in the Company fold again... It is nice to know that someone believes their name means something...

Welcome to lowering costs, cuting quality, while charging a premium with marketing gimmickry... aka "harvesting the brand."
                                      Last edited by cellarhound; 01-17-2007, 07:32 AM.
                                      Check out my other blog:

Comment

• filmfreak11
                                        ...TWO BITS!
                                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by disneytim View Post
                                        Destino is a Disney oddity at best, and though Disneyphiles have a soft spot for Oswald, that silent pre-Mickey rubber hose animation is not going to find favor with audiences accustomed to Nick and Cartoon Network.
                                        That's why I didn't understand why some Disney fans had high hopes for Oswald to make a great big come-back. It's nice to have DIsney on it, and maybe a limited release DVD. But like bringing him up to par with Mickey... WHA?!

Why did they release Zorro in color?!

They should release a 3rd direct-to-video Fantasia. I mean I think they're getting a good collection going for Fantasia-inspired shorts that made it out as single releases. The Little Match Girl, Destino, Lorenzo...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                                        -Jurassic Park

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X