Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buster against the extablishnent.

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Buster against the extablishnent.

    Bush and conservatism just goes too far. Buster gets Spanked


    Wayne Godwin, chief operating officer of PBS, got a bit tangled as he tried to explain the PBS stance on gay characters appearing on children's television shows.


    "In fairness I would have to say a gay character is not one we would not include," he said, and then clarified. "The fact that a character may or may not be gay is not a reason why they should or should not be part of this series."


    Yet on Tuesday PBS decided not to distribute to its roughly 350 PBS stations an episode of "Postcards From Buster," which was scheduled for Feb. 2 and included lesbian mothers, even though a few days earlier PBS officials, among them PBS's president, Pat Mitchell, viewed the episode and called it appropriate. That was before Education Secretary Margaret Spellings denounced the program, starring Buster Baxter, a cute animated rabbit who until now has been known primarily as a close friend of Arthur, the world's most famous aardvark. Ms. Spellings said many parents would not want children exposed to a lesbian life style.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216





  • #2
    Sheesh...

    Whatever happened to teaching acceptance and tolerance to our kids???

    And coming from our Education Secretary? What a dolt. She needs to wake up and come back to the 2000's...
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      This kind of thing angers me more than anything in the world. If a parent (for some strange reason that I don't undestand) really feels that their children shouldn't know what a lesbian is, then it is up to the parents to keep their children from viewing the program. Not the department of education.

      Comment


      • #4
        Personally, I do not think it is necessary to expose children at such a young age to a "sexual lifestyle". If you teach kids about tolerance in general, there is really no need to go into specifics about ones sexual preference. That's ridiculous.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Soulquarian
          Personally, I do not think it is necessary to expose children at such a young age to a "sexual lifestyle". If you teach kids about tolerance in general, there is really no need to go into specifics about ones sexual preference. That's ridiculous.
          To you, it is a sexual lifestyle. To the kids, they have two mommies. What you are doing is applying your prejudices. Your actons teach the kids that the kids from gay families are bad. You breed the prejudice in your children. The intent of the show is to show children of all backgrounds. Why is it acceptable to you to show Mulim families? They are terorists.
          >>Alan<<
          Member 216




          Comment


          • #6
            A news report I just watched said that PBS is making the video available for telecast in the cities that want it. So far, Vermont, San Francisco and Boston are going to televise this episode sometime this year.

            I think kids that have gay parents should have the same support system (whether it be literature or a tv special) that anyone with opposite sex parents have.

            First the Teletubbies, then SpongeBob and now Buster. Are we truly the Land of the Free if we keep trying to censor what's out there?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Soulquarian
              Personally, I do not think it is necessary to expose children at such a young age to a "sexual lifestyle". If you teach kids about tolerance in general, there is really no need to go into specifics about ones sexual preference. That's ridiculous.
              I have a very close relative who is in a relationship, and she and her partner have been together longer than many of my married hetero friends. They are planning on having a child next year, and I hope that all the kids who attend school with their child have parents enlightened enough to do as you suggest. I have to say, I doubt very much this will be the case.
              LoT

              Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
              Benjamin Franklin



              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Wendy
                I have a very close relative who is in a relationship, and she and her partner have been together longer than many of my married hetero friends. They are planning on having a child next year, and I hope that all the kids who attend school with their child have parents enlightened enough to do as you suggest. I have to say, I doubt very much this will be the case.
                Why should we need to teach our children tolerance. Why should anyone be tolerated. The adults have created the prejudice and then they expect the kids to be respectful. Children are not born knowing why being a lesbiqn is bad, why minorities are sub-human, why polacs are dumb and all th other stupid prejudices. We teach our children that. What we need to do is make parents smarter.
                >>Alan<<
                Member 216




                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Wendy
                  They are planning on having a child next year,
                  Last time i checked...that is not possible. And why do we have to put gay/lesbian couples on our kids cartoons to teach tolerance?? To me, that is not trying to tech tolerance, just trying to tell our kids that it is something they have to accept and not letting them form an opinion on their own. Don't mean to ruffle any feathers...i have nothing against the alternative lifestyle. i just don't think it's right to try and force someone to accept something. You can tell me the sky is purple all you want...doesn't mean i have to believe it.

                  /ducks to avoid the flames.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                    Last time i checked...that is not possible. And why do we have to put gay/lesbian couples on our kids cartoons to teach tolerance?? To me, that is not trying to tech tolerance, just trying to tell our kids that it is something they have to accept and not letting them form an opinion on their own. Don't mean to ruffle any feathers...i have nothing against the alternative lifestyle. i just don't think it's right to try and force someone to accept something. You can tell me the sky is purple all you want...doesn't mean i have to believe it.

                    /ducks to avoid the flames.

                    I think this is a prime example of why we need to keep kids away from adults. Think about what you are saying and insert hispanic, African American or how about Eskimo. They aren't forcing anything , what they are doing is showing kids doing diffenent things with different familes. Do you think it is apropriate to show a family with five kids that live in a mobile home? What about cloggers, do you want them exposed to cloggers? Oh.. I get it.. they are normal qnd gay people aren't. You need to come to terms wth your own life. Don't ask why, ask, why not.
                    >>Alan<<
                    Member 216




                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                      Last time i checked...that is not possible.
                      Donated sperm, adoption... it is possible.
                      Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                      And why do we have to put gay/lesbian couples on our kids cartoons to teach tolerance?? To me, that is not trying to tech tolerance, just trying to tell our kids that it is something they have to accept and not letting them form an opinion on their own. Don't mean to ruffle any feathers...i have nothing against the alternative lifestyle. i just don't think it's right to try and force someone to accept something. You can tell me the sky is purple all you want...doesn't mean i have to believe it.
                      Believe it or not, gay and lesbian parents are out there. Thousands of children in this country have two mothers or two fathers. That's not up for debate, it's the way it is. So, they're to be ignored just because people don't want to see them? That's sad. No one is forcing anyone to watch Buster. No one is telling people they are required to accept gay parents. But at least the option is there for kids who want to feel for a couple of minutes that they are no different from this family who has a successful candy business.

                      And, you know what, the sky can be purple. I've been to the desert and seen a few choice sunsets.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by KoH
                        I think this is a prime example of why we need to keep kids away from adults. Think about what you are saying and insert hispanic, African American or how about Eskimo. They aren't forcing anything , what they are doing is showing kids doing diffenent things with different familes. Do you think it is apropriate to show a family with five kids that live in a mobile home? What about cloggers, do you want them exposed to cloggers? Oh.. I get it.. they are normal qnd gay people aren't. You need to come to terms wth your own life. Don't ask why, ask, why not.
                        I didn't say that gay people aren't normal...your missing the point. I personally don't care if they put gay people on tv/cartoons etc, i just don't think people should get all riled up just because there is some opposition to their views. There are tons of subjects like this that people have the choice on what they believe ie: death penalty, abortion. You have a right to say this should be on tv just as others have the right to say it shouldn't, that's the USA. you're trying to dismiss others beliefs for the sake of yours. That's all i'm saying.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
                          Donated sperm, adoption... it is possible.

                          Believe it or not, gay and lesbian parents are out there. Thousands of children in this country have two mothers or two fathers. That's not up for debate, it's the way it is. So, they're to be ignored just because people don't want to see them? That's sad. No one is forcing anyone to watch Buster. No one is telling people they are required to accept gay parents. But at least the option is there for kids who want to feel for a couple of minutes that they are no different from this family who has a successful candy business.

                          And, you know what, the sky can be purple. I've been to the desert and seen a few choice sunsets.
                          I think that we need to change the name for Gays and Lesbiansd. How about sexually challegened? If you remember, mentally challenged were kept locked away as long as they were called retards. Now, they are mentally challenged and have gained acceptance. I am surprised that people are not using the terms faggit and *****.

                          Hey, maybe we need to eliminate any song that has the word gay in it.
                          >>Alan<<
                          Member 216




                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by KoH
                            Hey, maybe we need to eliminate any song that has the word gay in it.
                            Or substitute the word... but West Side Story wouldn't have the same feel if Maria sang:
                            "I feel pretty and witty and sexually challenged..."
                            Last edited by Gemini Cricket; 01-28-2005, 10:35 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
                              Of substitute the word... but West Side Story wouldn't have the same feel if Maria sang:
                              "I feel pretty and witty and sexually challenged..."

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X