This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Mouse Detective

Vic and I just finished screening this film. Sorry. It sucks. Bad Hannah-Barbera animation with fabulous backgrounds. Lame story.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Re: The Great Mouse Detective

I like it! It's kinda dry and a bit slower paced, but I think it's a nice little film.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

I think it's better than Hannah-Barberra. The characters are detailed and the animation is more fluid in my opinion. I think Vincent Price did an awsome job as Ratigan.

Comment

I have one of the animation cels from the movie!

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
          I think it's better than Hannah-Barberra. The characters are detailed and the animation is more fluid in my opinion. I think Vincent Price did an awsome job as Ratigan.
          When I saw this thread, I immediately thought of you.
          My kids absolutely adore this movie.
          "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

Heresy!!!
            Seriously, I love this movie.
            Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
            Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
            Disneyland Paris: 2010
            Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
            Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
            Efteling:2011
            Lotte World: 2012

Comment

I like this movie.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
              -Jurassic Park

Comment

In one of the Clock scenes with the gears, they use an early form of C.G.I for the first time in this film. I agree with DW, Vincent Price was great!
                The story was slower though.
                1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

While not Disney's best, The Great Mouse Detective was the first big step out of the darkness of feature animation in the 70's and 80's. It was a vast improvement over Disney's two previous entries, the weak Fox and the Hound and the abortive Black Cauldron. You can actually see Disney starting to get its groove back. Despite the lame title (Basil of Baker Street still has a better ring to it), TGMD has interesting characters (Vincent Price is a hoot as Ratigan, one of Disney's most underrated villains), good pacing and improved animation over its immediate predecessors. The movie is also noteworthy for including Disney's first attempt at computer-assisted animation, the climactic chase scene in the clock tower.

TGMD was only one animated feature removed (the charming but innocuous Oliver & Company) from The Little Mermaid, which put Disney back on top and launched its second golden age.

So, yes, I do like The Great Mouse Detective for its entertainment value and for its place in Disney animation history.
                  Last edited by disneytim; 02-27-2007, 11:39 AM.
                  Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Comment

Count me as one who liked this film very much. Totally agree with what the other fans have written. The animation team was hitting their stride with this film and the clockworks scene was a big breathrough in CGI assistance.

I also think Basil of Baker Street was a far better title.
                    "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." Oscar Wilde

Comment

:blush: I liked this movie.
                      Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

I frequently find myself saying "WHERE IS THE LIST??" when someone mentions a list in real life. But nobody ever knows why I say it that way.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

I really liked the movie too.
                          I am a long time fan of Vincent Price.
                          And I think I just like "mice" movies in general. The Rescuers and The Rescuers Down Under are two of my other favorites.

Comment

While some don't like this film or "Rescuers Down Under"...they were in fact major training exercises for great things to come after each.

Same way Walt used some of the Silly Symphonies as mainly training exercises for what was to some...Snow White.

The training of the "New Golden Age" of animators and the creation and perfection of many animation techniques in both these films...makes them historically important to Disney animated features.

The Great Mouse Detective (originally named "Basil Of Baker Street") I could live without ever seeing again. Not that I think it stinks. Just was kinda too corny for me.

Rescuers Down Under though...I really enjoyed as a stand alone film. George C. Scott as the voice of the villain in that one, was exceptional, IMHO. A real overlooked Disney Villain.

Comment

I couldn't disagree more about the animation. The character animation is simply fantastic, wonderfully subtle and expressive (especially on Basil, though Dawson has some really great moments). The Great Mouse Detective was, as Opus said, a training ground, and some of the earliest work of legendary animators like Andreas Deja and Glen Keane. (It was Kirk Wise's first film, too; he went on to direct Beauty and the Beast.) This really is a transitional film that shows the promise that would be fully realized in the '90s.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X