• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonoma Valley Film Festival - John Lasseter - an OogieBoogie Report

The old town hall for Sonoma

One of the old hotels

The old barracks

The Bear Flag Monument

The Sebastiani Theater. The first theater to show 'Toy Story'.

Mmmmmm.. Irish Pub. I know where Oogie is having dinner tonight.

The list of movies and panels that were being presented on Saturday.

From all the decorations that had been brought in to the lobby, I thought it was a good guess that I was at the right place.

I couldn't resist getting this one...

Leslie Iwerks

The movie will be shown next at the Cannes Film festival, and will hopefully be available soon here in the US for the general public. Incidentally, you may recognize her last name....Leslie is the grand daughter of Ub Iwerks, one of the men who helped Walt Disney produce the early Mickey Mouse cartoons.

After the movie was over, I came outside to find that the weather was starting to clear and that Starbucks and some local wineries had opened up a tasting center.

Snack Crackers

The all you can drink wine bar.

Luxo Jr.

Tin Toy
    Knick Knack
    Mater and the Ghostlights

After this I had a little over an hour before the next film started, so I went out to get some pictures of downtown Sonoma and grab some lunch.

The Mission's Gardens

As you can see, Sonoma is a pretty historic town.

Don't let the name on this place fool you. They do have some killer cheese, but they also make a great deli sandwich and offer the freshest of fruit from the Somoma valley.

As I took my seat in the gymnasium turned theater, I took careful note of who was sitting around me this time. As it turned out, I got lucky as the person who was seated in front of me was none other than John Lasseter.

Mark Andrews (Johnny Quest, Iron Giant, Spiderman, and The Incredibles)

Ronnie DeCarmen (Batman animated series, and Finding Nemo)

And Jim Capobianco (Hunchback of Notre Dame, Lion King, Fantasia 2000, Bugs Life)

For Scripts, they spoke about how when a story is presented to them, they are not given a script to work from. Usually the director or someone will come in with a page or 2 at a time and tell them to draw it out. The story sketchers then take the script or idea which the director has given them, create the scene and the sequence in their heads, draw it out, then put the drawings up on a story board.

The story reel process is when the story artists sell their ideas to the director. The director will listen to their pitch and then give his input on it. To show us just what happens in one of these meetings, they showed a clip of Pixar story artist Joe Ranft giving the pitch for the scene in Monsters Inc where Mike is telling Sully to put Boo back, then having to make up the musical number because everyone is watching him.

After the panel was over, I heard that the red carpet affair had been canceled because of the weather, but be back at the theater at 6:15 for the tribute, so I headed down to 7-11 for a slurpee and some beef jerky, and then on to a place in Sonoma that my grandparents used to take me to when I was very young. Train Town.

The trains are all 1/4 scale, and a trip on one takes about 20 minutes.

Looks like the steam engine is down for repairs..

A view of the grounds at Train Town

I got back just in time to get a few more glasses of wine, and to catch the honored guests of the evening showing up. At a little after 6:15, they let everyone in. It was a sea of people dressed in outfits that costs hundred of dollars, while I was in blue jeans, sneakers, and a Nightmare Before Christmas jeans jacket. Hey the Boogie Man knows class. .

While I was outside 'sampling' some more wine, I managed to catch a few people trying to quietly sneak into the theater.

Robin Williams

Tony Shalhoub

Cheech Marin

John Lasseter

The evening winded down with a presentation of a custom made glass wine decanter that rolled to properly air the wine, and a bottle of wine made of grapes from a 120 year old vine to Mr. Lasseter. After that the crowds filtered out of the veterans hall to their cars and over to the Cline Cellars Winery for the festival gala. I took a side trip back to the Irish Pub I saw this morning for a pint of Guinness before heading over to the Winery. Apparently though a lot of people wanted to go too, because when I arrived at the Winery, the parking lot was full. I later found out that the gala event started at 7:45, during the middle of the tribute. The parking lot filled up soon after that, so I decided to head home. Incidently, there was a movie playing at this same time called 'Finding Kraftland'.

It's the story of a fanatical Disney collector, pop culture, and his relationship with his son. It sounded like it was a good movie and well worth seeing.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-16-2007, 10:50 PM. Reason: Digg Link Added
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Re: Oogie goes to the Sonoma Valley Film Festival and meets John Lasseter

Thank you very much for posting that report from the Sonoma Valley Film Festival! Wow, what a wonderful day. I love all the detail that you captured from your experiences, including all those terrific photos. And getting to meet John Lasseter...how cool was that? Thanks again! You put a lot of work into this and I appreciate it.

:bow:

Comment

Oogie, what an incredible day for you. Thank you for the outstanding report!

Some things that caught my attention:

How lucky that you got to meet Leslie Iwerks. Her grandfather didn't just help Walt Disney produce the Mickey Mouse cartoons, he was the lead (and sometimes only) animator of Mickey Mouse in the early days. Ub Iwerks is largely credited with giving Mickey his look and personality, moreso than Walt.

Even with all the technological advances in animation, the initial animation process remains basically the same. Story development, quick sketches and storyboarding (a process originally developed at the Walt Disney Studios). If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

John Lasseter is often (unfairly) compared to Walt Disney--I'd prefer to think of him as the "first John Lasseter" than the "second Walt." The one trait they obviously share, though, is their enthusiasm and passion for projects they believe in. It's served Lasseter well thus far in his career and will continue to do so in the future. It makes the Finding Nemo Subs that much greater to look forward to, and creates a wisp of hope for the Tinker Bell DVD.

Thank you for sharing this terrific story.
      Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

Comment

Wow, what an amazing experience. You definitely spent your afternoon among great people and ideas. Thanks for sharing with us!
        Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
        Help support the site you love:
        -Visit the MiceChat store
        Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
        MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Comment

Simply fantastic reporting. Thank you so much for taking the time to detail this event for the readers of MiceChat!
          MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

Re: Sonoma Valley Film Festival - John Lasseter - an OogieBoogie Report

WOW!...How Cool!

I may have to try and get in on this one next year!
            -----------------------------------------------
            DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth :thumbup:

Comment

Thank you Oogie! What a treat to read this and a special treat for you again! I love the photos of Sonoma and the people you were able to meet.

This kinda of explains why that film crew was at the park a couple of weekends ago with the questions about Mr. Lasseter.
              1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

Such a terrific report!

So glad you could make it and share with all of us - and good job avoiding the KILLER CHEESE!
                How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?
                :monkey: :monkey:

Comment

This is just a fine piece of reporting, Boogie Man.

And may I say that you remind me of Vince Vaughn?

And Pezz looks nothing at all like John Lasseter.

Comment

Great report. Thank you.
                    Originally posted by Grumpee
                    I only care for Disney bling!

Comment

I am glad you got bits and pieces of the surrounding area... Takes me back...

I have been known to hang out at Murphys with folks that play petanque over by the mission... It's the town haunt - owned by a previous mayor.

Robin Williams owns a house up on Atlas Peak. So I am in no way surprised that he was in attendance.

Train Town is a kick...

And the Sebastiani Theater is one of the many old style theatres in Napa and Sonoma Counties that are in desprate need of being saved from developement. It is very difficult for them to compete with the larger movieplexes... Film Festivals is only one way they can keep these theatres alive.
                      Check out my other blog:

Comment

Very excited to see this report as I spent 19 years of my life in Sonoma.

Next time you're there, look up Vella Cheese Factory. Sonoma Cheese Factory is where the tourists go. Locals go to Vella. Oh, Vella. If they're still making it, try the Cheddar Pesto cheese. OMG. Makes my mouth water thinking about it.

Spent many a day backstage at Sebastiani. It's a great live theater too.

As somone else said, Robin Williams owns a house up there. My babysitter way back when went to school with his daughter.

And speaking of babysitters, a friend of mine in high school was John Lasseter's babysitter. She also donated her old school volkswagen bug, decorated and hand painted it with Toy Story 2 visuals, and auctioned it off for charity at the Toy Story 2 premiere at Sebastiani.

Murphy's is great! I know the owner, and we spent a couple hours after my wedding reception at their back room. In my full wedding dress too! Try the Sonoma Sausage Sandwich with mushy peas if you haven't. To die for!

And seeing the Vets building brings me back. Next door is the high school football field. I spent many days practicing cheer routines on that front lawn. And I sang in many choral concerts inside the building.

Thanks. It was quite a kick to see Sonoma from a Disney tourist fans perspective!
                        "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
                        "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

Comment

I wish you had gotten hold of me! I live here in Sonoma and would have loved to have entertained you with tours during your down time. Mr. L is well known here in town and has always been a wonderful person to chat with. He is not the "hollywood" type, but a very friendly gentleman. Glad you enjoyed your visit!
                          "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible, because dreams offer too little collateral."
                          --- Walt Disney

:yea: Member of MiceChat Gold!

:thumbup: Lover of the Haunted Mansion and
                          Nightmare Before Christmas

:captain: Dreaming of Pirates!

Still waiting to go to my first meet

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MaryAnn in Wndrlnd View Post
                            Very excited to see this report as I spent 19 years of my life in Sonoma.

Next time you're there, look up Vella Cheese Factory. Sonoma Cheese Factory is where the tourists go. Locals go to Vella. Oh, Vella. If they're still making it, try the Cheddar Pesto cheese. OMG. Makes my mouth water thinking about it.

Spent many a day backstage at Sebastiani. It's a great live theater too.

As somone else said, Robin Williams owns a house up there. My babysitter way back when went to school with his daughter.

And speaking of babysitters, a friend of mine in high school was John Lasseter's babysitter. She also donated her old school volkswagen bug, decorated and hand painted it with Toy Story 2 visuals, and auctioned it off for charity at the Toy Story 2 premiere at Sebastiani.

Murphy's is great! I know the owner, and we spent a couple hours after my wedding reception at their back room. In my full wedding dress too! Try the Sonoma Sausage Sandwich with mushy peas if you haven't. To die for!

And seeing the Vets building brings me back. Next door is the high school football field. I spent many days practicing cheer routines on that front lawn. And I sang in many choral concerts inside the building.

Thanks. It was quite a kick to see Sonoma from a Disney tourist fans perspective!
                            Wow! amazing to find out how many people on this list are from this area! That VW is still running around town. I just saw Dave in it the other day at the gas station. We were talking about the fact Sonoma gas prices are higher than anywhere in the area. Mr. L has done a lot for our little theater. It is a wonderful old fashion theater and his films opening there have been a big help in keeping it up and going.
                            "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible, because dreams offer too little collateral."
                            --- Walt Disney

:yea: Member of MiceChat Gold!

:thumbup: Lover of the Haunted Mansion and
                            Nightmare Before Christmas

:captain: Dreaming of Pirates!

Still waiting to go to my first meet

sigpic

Comment

What a tremendous oppourtunity! John Lasseter is the guy I want to work for. He certainly is a visionary! Thanks Oogie for the fantastic report!:clap:
                              "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
                              I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X