Clear All

• 'The Addams Family' The Musical

'Addams Family' heads to Broadway

Show to open in the 2009-10 season

'The Addams Family'

By Gordon Cox
    Variety
    May 22, 2007
    They're creepy and they're kooky, and they're headed to Broadway. "The Addams Family," a new large-scale tuner based on the cartoons of Charles Addams, aims to hit the Rialto in the 2009 -10 season.

Composer-lyricist Andrew Lippa ("The Wild Party") is writing the songs, while Marshall Brickman and Rick Elice ("Jersey Boys") provide the book.

Phelim McDermott and Julian Crouch, the Improbable Theater founders who created the gleefully macabre "Shockheaded Peter," will direct and design.
    Produced by Chicago-based Elephant Eye Theatrical, the musical will be capitalized at more than $10 million, according to Elephant Eye producer Stuart Oken.

Addams' cartoons -- about a ghoulish family whose members include father Gomez, mother Morticia, uncle Fester and daughter Wednesday -- appeared for more than 50 years in the New Yorker. The cartoons inspired several TV series, including the 1960s live-action sitcom and a couple of animated skeins, along with two features.

The tuner will be based solely on the cartoons, not on the big- or small-screen incarnations. It hasn't yet been determined whether the creatives will be granted permission to include the familiar TV theme song.

Elephant Eye was granted the rights to develop the tuner by the Tee and Charles Addams Foundation. The cartoonist died in 1988.

"This property has great potential," Oken said. "It's an iconic title. We have both the advantage and the responsibility of having these characters that people all think they know."

The creative team recently met for 12 days in Gotham to hammer out the initial outline, and Oken hopes to have a reading of a first draft by March or April 2008. "Addams" will preem out of town before heading to Gotham.
    Elephant Eye, formed in late 2005 by Disney Theatrical alum Oken, Michael Leavitt and Five Cent Prods. to develop new tuners for Broadway, has more than "Addams" on its development slate.

Company is attached to "Saved," the new musical based on the 2004 indie film due to preem Off Broadway at Playwrights Horizons at the end of next season, with Celia Keenan-Bolger starring. Also on the company's plate is "The Boys Are Coming Home," a WWII-set adaptation of "Much Ado About Nothing" by scribe Rebecca Gilman and composer Leslie Arden, set to bow at the Goodman Theater in Chi in spring 2008.

Additional projects in development are a Bruce Lee biotuner and "Beauty Sleeping," a project from writer-helmer Tina Landau and composer Jeanine Tesori based on Landau's play "Beauty."
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=15&cs=1
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 'The Addams Family' The Musical

They're creepy and they're kooky, mysterious and spooky

They're alltogether ooky... The Addams Family !
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

Comment

How cool is that ..... AD want to go with me?
      Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
      it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

Why do they have to make musicals out of everything?!

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

not my Addams family!!!!!!!! Is NOTHING sacred?????????

Comment

UGH!

Where's Gomer Pyle The Musical?

Comment

they're trying to work the kinks out of it and the Sanford and Son musical. They should be ready this fall.

Comment

i think if they did it in the style of the movies and the live action show it could be cool. not so sure since they are going the cartoon route.

Comment

Have you ever read the original comics?! The macabre humour of the movies was nothing compared to the comics! Though, the first movie did borrow much more from the comics than the TV show -- the opening scene of the bubbling cauldron being poured on the carolers and the scene where they're going through the wardrobe while looking for items to auction is direct from the comics.

I'm a huge Addams fan... I'm rather excited about this one.
                  -Tim

Comment

I love the Addams family, too...have since I was little...I actually scared my husband's sister when we were dating. She came over to my house, and I was flipping through the channels, Brady Bunch was on, and she says "Oh, I love the Brady Bunch." I said..."really, I could never stand that show. I'm more of an Addam's family person".....she never really talked to me again. Anyway, I just wonder why they can't leave well enough alone. The comics.....great, the show....great, the first two movies....great....then, they make a third movie...with freakin Darryl Hannah as Morticia (wtheck?) now, this????? Back away from the classic tv........

Comment

Personally I can see a "Munsters" musical more easily than the an Addams Family one ...Since I was so tall, other kids called me "Herman" sometimes in school...

--Barry
                      God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

What's next "Chico and the Man - The Musical"?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X