• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spike Lee to direct 'Stalag 17' Broadway revival

Spike Lee to Direct Stalag 17 Revival

By Andrew Gans
    27 Jun 2007

Spike Lee

Acclaimed film director Spike Lee plans to direct a Broadway revival of Stalag 17Stalag 17, according to press notes, "is a drama about a group of American airmen in a German prisoner-of-war camp during World War II. At Stalag 17, while the inmates spend their waking hours circumventing the boredom of prison life, at night, they attempt to arrange escapes. Lightened by the antics of these restless prisoners, the play depicts the conflicts among these volatile and desperate men."

The war-themed drama will mark the Broadway bow for Lee, whose many films include "She's Gotta Have It," "School Daze," "Do the Right Thing," "Malcolm X" and "Jungle Fever." In a statement Lee said, "I'm very happy to get the opportunity to make my first foray into the theatre and Broadway. I've never been one to put limits on my art. I was too young to see the play but I've seen the movie numerous times and Billy Wilder is one of my favorite directors. This production will have a contemporary look, yet still stay true to the period and the original play."
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,719 at 08:15 AM on 07-20-2012.