For the Miley Cyrus franchise, 'Hannah Montana' is just the start

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the Miley Cyrus franchise, 'Hannah Montana' is just the start

For the Miley Cyrus franchise, 'Hannah Montana' is just the start

The Disney Channel 'tween star conquers TV and the pop scene. Up next is movies.

By Mary McNamara
    Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    July 8, 2007

Billy Ray and Miley Cyrus

MILEY CYRUS doesn't look like a mouse. Or a befuddled bear. Or even a princess. But make no mistake, like Mickey, Winnie the Pooh and Snow White before her, she is a Disney franchise.

Cyrus is the star of "Hannah Montana," a Disney Channel half-hour sitcom following the travails of Miley Stewart, a young girl living in Malibu who also happens to be pop star Hannah Montana. Costarring real-life Dad Billy Ray Cyrus and consistently featuring a wish list of costars including Dolly Parton and Larry David, "Hannah Montana" is one of the top-rated kids' shows of all time (in 2006, it was second only to "American Idol" among kids 6 to 14). Cyrus' first album, the 2006 "Hannah Montana" soundtrack, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard chart (a first for a TV soundtrack), sold more than 280,000 copies in its first week and subsequently went double-platinum. Her second album, a two-disc set titled "Hannah Montana 2/Meet Miley Cyrus," was released June 26 and beat out Kelly Clarkson's new album to be No. 1, selling 326,000 copies.

There is, of course, a feature film in the works.

This year, Cyrus performed as Hannah at London's famed Koko club (Madonna had been there a few days previous) and, with Mickey and Minnie, cut the ribbon to celebrate the 15th anniversary of Disneyland Paris.

Only a 14-year-old would have that much energy.

"I just had a 20-minute break," Cyrus recently announced as she took her place on set at a taping of "Hannah Montana." "The first I've had in about a year."

She's exaggerating, of course; the days of run-ragged young stars are long gone. Because she is a minor, Cyrus can work only 8 1/2 hours a day, three of which are to be tutor-taught schoolwork.
    Just recently, she says, she had to use a bodyguard for the first time. "We went to Six Flags and my little sister was with us so we had to have someone to stay with me so she could go on the rides with my mom and I could stay and sign autographs. But it's important because the more out there you are, the less people think of you as a character. They think of you as a real person."
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: For the Miley Cyrus franchise, 'Hannah Montana' is just the start

She sounds like a pretty level headed kid to me! And I know my 10 year old lives her to death.

Re: For the Miley Cyrus franchise, 'Hannah Montana' is just the start

Wow, she's going to be busy! It's a great show and i'm glad that at least for now, she's a good role model for young girls to look up to. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders.
      Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,719 at 09:15 AM on 07-20-2012.