This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ship to LA??

Will Disney send a new ship to the West Coast or the Magic or Wonder or possibily none at all?

You decide.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...dlines-tourism

Re: New Ship to LA??

Hmmm, interesting article.

Comment

Interesting article! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

They had better give us a ship out here on the west coast. Maybe we should start a petition?

It wasn't me, it was Lisa! :angel:

Comment

This is old news.

There will be one ship permanently based in LA ... think Alaska cruises in summer and Mexican cruises in the winter. Hawaii is a possibility, but very doubtful at this point ... DVC will likely be the way Disney invades the islands and this announcement could come soon -- and even include a water park (oops, I guess I shouldn't have let that out!)

It is almost a certainty that one of the new/larger ships will be in LA. That will free up two to permanently be based in Port Canaveral -- and don't believe everything you read -- Disney isn't leaving for Miami or Port Everglades. They want to be near their park base ... and the terminal was built specifically for them. That won't happen in SoFla. The third ship, which will be one of the two older ships will be a 'floater' (well, we hope they all float, but you know what I mean) and will go anywhere (and I do mean anywhere ... NOTHING is off the table) depending on seasons and market trends.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Comment

I definately think they should keep the bigger ships for the longer cruises. They should keep the Magic and Wonder in Florida, then put the Dream (sure to be name) on the West Coast. What they will do with the fourth, we will find out. Maybe it will be out of New York?

Comment

I hope they bring one of the ships to Miami or Ft Lauderdale. We are the cruise capitol of the world, after all.

Comment

^^Hey, I'm a neighbor of yours!

But there's no way we get a Disney ship down here regularly.

Just won't happen. One will be in LA year-round. Two will sail out of Port Canaveral year round.

The third? Anywhere from Australia to Asia to Europe to South America ... Disney is thinking of all of the above.

Comment

Europe is my guess, someplace in France.

Comment

I had heard that neither of the current Disney Cruise
                  Ships were built with the thought of sailing them to
                  to colder climates (Alaska). The 2 current Disney
                  Ships wouldn't be able to sail to colder climates, and
                  a completely different ship would need to be built to
                  provide the proper equipment to keep guests comfortable
                  on such colder cruises. So the new ship would be sent
                  to the west coast.
                  Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                  An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                  Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                  Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

I read an article that suggested that the newer of the two existing ships was being considered for an Alaska cruise, but I don't have the link, and don't remember if they talked about drydocking it to prep it for a cold weather cruise.
                    Fight On!:sc: Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
                    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Comment

There was an article in one of the Southern California papers several months ago indicating the Disney Cruise Lines was listed on a Port of Los Angeles meeting agenda. If I remember correctly, it was to discuss a petition to establish a permanent port in the L.A. area.

Someone I know who works for DCL has stated that the cruise lines will permanently port a new ship on the West Coast for year round sailings to the Mexican Riviera and Alaska. It has to be a new ship because the Magic and Wonder were not built for Alaskan waters. They said another ship, it hadn't been determined which one, would be based in the Mediterranean area so it could cruise itineraires in Europe, the Mediterranean and Asia.

Of course, these plans could change between now and when the new ships are completed.

Comment

Originally posted by WDW1974 View Post
                        This is old news.

There will be one ship permanently based in LA ... think Alaska cruises in summer and Mexican cruises in the winter. Hawaii is a possibility, but very doubtful at this point ... DVC will likely be the way Disney invades the islands and this announcement could come soon -- and even include a water park (oops, I guess I shouldn't have let that out!)

It is almost a certainty that one of the new/larger ships will be in LA. That will free up two to permanently be based in Port Canaveral -- and don't believe everything you read -- Disney isn't leaving for Miami or Port Everglades. They want to be near their park base ... and the terminal was built specifically for them. That won't happen in SoFla. The third ship, which will be one of the two older ships will be a 'floater' (well, we hope they all float, but you know what I mean) and will go anywhere (and I do mean anywhere ... NOTHING is off the table) depending on seasons and market trends.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

WDW1974 has it perfect. West Coast will get the first new one. Port Canaveral will probally keep one old one and get the l8r to be finished new one. The other old one will probally do what the magic does dduring the summer moves around to location to location. Maybe visit near the other disney resorts. i could see it getting tied into Adventures by Disney or something like that.

Comment

From trends in the other cruise lines, the newer ships were always built to replace smaller ships on the most lucrative Caribbean market. If anything, they will place a new ship in Pt Canaveral to do the 7 day Caribbean sailings. The Magic or Wonder will probably stay as a 3/4 night ship. They might even have both new ships doing 7 day itineraries ... one sailing Eastern and the other doing a Western route. They rarely place a new ship doing the 3/4 day market.

Comment

They are definitely going to offer Alaska cruises that would leave from Long Beach. Alaska cruises are one of the most popular itineraries in the cruising industry.

However, they do need a new ship for this from what I understand. Ships cruising Alaskan waters needs to be constructed in a way to withstand extremely cold ocean temperatures and ice.

I am sure they will do this eventually, and probably sooner than later. I just don't know if they will be buying an existing ship or building an entirely new one.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                              They are definitely going to offer Alaska cruises that would leave from Long Beach. Alaska cruises are one of the most popular itineraries in the cruising industry.

However, they do need a new ship for this from what I understand. Ships cruising Alaskan waters needs to be constructed in a way to withstand extremely cold ocean temperatures and ice.

I am sure they will do this eventually, and probably sooner than later. I just don't know if they will be buying an existing ship or building an entirely new one.
                              If they are building 2 new ones wouldnt they make one of the new ones already set up for alaska instead of having to retrofit a different ship?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X