X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl lies about dead Dad for 'Hannah Montana' tickets

Girl loses Hannah Montana tickets for lying

GARLAND, Texas (AP) — A 6-year-old girl who won four tickets to a Hannah Montana concert with an essay falsely claiming her father died in Iraq isn't going to the show after all.

The contest's sponsor, a store chain named Club Libby Lu, withdrew the prize Saturday and awarded it to another contestant. It didn't identify the new winner.

"With this decision, we hope to revive the intended spirit of the contest, which was designed to make a little girl's holidays extra special," Club Libby Lu chief executive Mary Drolet said in a statement Saturday.

Officials of the Chicago-based chain surprised the girl on Friday at a Club Libby Lu store in mall in this Dallas suburb. Club Libby Lu sells clothes, accessories and games for young girls.

The girl won a makeover that included a blonde Hannah Montana wig, as well as the grand prize: airfare for four to Albany, N.Y., and four tickets to the sold-out Hannah Montana concert on Jan. 9.

The opening line in the essay was: "My daddy died this year in Iraq."

The girl's mother had told Club Libby Lu officials that the girl's father died April 17 in a roadside bombing in Iraq, company spokeswoman Robyn Caulfield said. But the mother, Priscilla Ceballos, admitted later Friday that the essay and the military information she provided about her daughter's father were untrue.

"We did the essay and that's what we did to win. We did whatever we could do to win," Ceballos said in an interview Friday with KDFW-TV of Dallas. "But when (Caulfield) asked me if this essay is true, I said 'No, this essay is not true.'"

The Associated Press was unable to find a phone number for Ceballos on Saturday.
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...ke-essay_N.htm
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: Girl lies about dead Dad for 'Hannah Montana' tickets

The girl's mother had told Club Libby Lu officials that the girl's father died April 17 in a roadside bombing in Iraq, company spokeswoman Robyn Caulfield said. But the mother, Priscilla Ceballos, admitted later Friday that the essay and the military information she provided about her daughter's father were untrue.

"We did the essay and that's what we did to win. We did whatever we could do to win," Ceballos said in an interview Friday with KDFW-TV of Dallas. "But when (Caulfield) asked me if this essay is true, I said 'No, this essay is not true.'"
    shame on the mom!! OYE

Comment

I'm glad they lost the tickets.
      Shame on those that did this.

Comment

Personally I'm glad they didn't win the tickets after all. Yes, they did what they had to do to win, but that isn't what the contest is.
        "With this decision, we hope to revive the intended spirit of the contest, which was designed to make a little girl's holidays extra special," Club Libby Lu chief executive Mary Drolet said in a statement Saturday.
        Hopefully they have actually taught this family a lesson and others as well. I hope the new winner and her family have a wonderful time.

Comment

That poor little girl, with a mother like that I fear what kind of person she'll become.

I'm glad they took the tickets away and shame on that mother.

Comment

That is absolutely terrible.

Shame on her Mother. Complete shame. :verymad:

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
            Mark Twain

Comment

As a person who had family in Iraq (thank god he came home safe) - I find this totally disgusting. That is unreal. I'm glad they took the tickets away. What are some people thinking?

Comment

Can't really blame the little girl (if anything we should actually feel sorry for her). The mother is totally to blame.

I echo everyone else, "Shame on You"! :verymad:
                sigpic
                Home away from Home.

Comment

talk about being low.

Comment

I'm sure this is the first and last time someone has lied to win a contest.
                    However it does cheapen the image of those people that we knew and loved that have died in Iraq.

Comment

Poor little girl, hope her mom learns the valuable lesson presented.
                      Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Comment

What a great role model. *rolls eyes*

Sad to say, but I'm not surprised. It's absolutely disgusting how low some people will go to get what they want.

Comment

I am very ashamed in the mother for being a main contributor to this lie. I can not believe she would encourage her daughter to do this!

Comment

I blame TV, with all those episodes of the Brady Bunch and Dif'rent Strokes where the kids lie about being sick to have a cameo appearance from some 'C' list personality.

Comment

She probably sets the example for her daughter to lie whenever she wants something... the whole story sickens me. :bash:
                              ♥ "Don't care about all the pain in front of me
                              'Cause I'm just trying to be happy." ♥

sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X