X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Iron Man 2'

Robert Downey Jr.: The 'Iron Man' Effect

The star touches base with EW.com after his big opening weekend, talking about how his life has changed and spilling details on ''Iron Man 2,'' ''The Soloist,'' and more

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How are you doing today? You've had a pretty great weekend, I would think.

ROBERT DOWNEY JR.: I'm verrrrry well. It's been absolutely nutty.
    When you were brainstorming with Jon Favreau, what were the elements that you wanted to bring to the next Iron Man movie?

There's this idea of Terrence [Howard] putting on a suit and coming back as War Machine, who is pretty iconic in the Iron Man and Marvel universe. Just seeing where it can all go, but grounding it in a very modern mythology. I see it as greatest dysfunctional family story ever told.... In The New York Post a couple days ago, [there was a cartoon] of Iron Man suited up, and he's telling the governor even his super-powers can't get him out of the budget problem. That was what Jon was hoping for and excited to see the most, the idea that Tony Stark and Iron Man can become part of the cultural fabric. When we heard posters were being defaced to promote political or social ideas, he just got such a hoot out of that.

A central element of Tony Stark's story arc in the comics is his alcoholism. How much will that be incorporated into the storylines, or, at least, from your perspective, how much would you like that to happen?

Well, you know. [Pause] I think I was reading in the Times, it was saying ''Most Conflicted'' — it was comparing character defects from one superhero to another. Interestingly, Tony's Achilles heel isn't that he boozes too hard and then he winds up becoming an alcoholic in the genesis; his character defect is narcissism. I think there's a way to capitalize on that, and if you want to use the drinking as a metaphor to that, that's fine. But in and of itself, I don't think it's any more interesting than having a superhero who has cancer. That's why I think the mythology of these things is cool, because a Gamma Ray means a lot more than a gamma ray, whereas a non-specific urethritis can be only that. Again, I defer to Jon. He really, really crafted this thing in a way that was so smart. And, also, what I love is that kids are enjoying it. It's important to me, strangely, in my old age, to do something that is appropriate and still entertaining and engaging and evocative, and is about more than you might expect it to be about. I mean, clearly, I'm going to have a lot more juice at the writing table than I did a few years ago.

To that end, I know you're under contract for another Iron Man movie — do you know how far that goes? They just announced an Avengers movie for 2011, which would ostensibly involve Iron Man. Would you be on board for that?

I really don't know. What I'm on board for right now is the ride home. I don't want to start talking out of my league, because that would have certainly been my inclination in the past. I kind of know how to keep my teeth together a little better than I used to.
    http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20198228_2,00.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Re: 'Iron Man 2'

I saw him on Kimmel last night, great interview. I'm so glad for Downey, he's really turned his life around. And I can't imagine them not wanting him for The Avengers.

Comment

Agreed. One of the coolest things about this success (and his) is that he could help draw in additional upper-tier talent also new to this genre.
      "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

I loved the movie, but don't know too much about Iron Man. Any ideas on whom the next villian might be?
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by bigwavedave View Post
          I loved the movie, but don't know too much about Iron Man. Any ideas on whom the next villian might be?
          Well considering they never really said the name of the villain in the first movie:
          Spoiler
          Obadiah Stone's "Villain Name" in the comic book is Iron Monger

There are alot of places they can go.

If they want to stay with the "Corporate Villain" they can go with
          Spoiler
          Justin Hammer - (A Business Rival of Tony Stark) But he's not really a super-villain, he just hires them. But I can certainly see him playing a role in a sequel. Which could possibly bring in the Death Squad (Firefight, Airborne, Boobytrap, Smokescreen and Rocketlauncher).

They can also bring in better known villains
          Spoiler
          Crimson Dynamo and Titanium Man

They can go "Asian" and bring in
          Spoiler
          The Mandarin or Radioactive Man

Or if they want to start with the
          Spoiler
          Avengers Villains

the possibilities are seemingly endless.

I'll take my geek hat off now. :geek:

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post

They can go "Asian" and bring in
            Spoiler
            The Mandarin or Radioactive Man

sorry, couldn't resist!
            Will there be screams when the sun sets,
            -=Is It October Yet?=-

Originally posted by Tinkermonkey
            elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
            Originally posted by pratt55
            Elly is adorkable.

Comment

Lol!!!

Comment

Loving everything I'm hearing so far. Clinks, one of my co-workers would absolutely love talking Marvel Universe geekery with you! :lol:

Comment

wow taling about iron man 2 already?
                  sigpicDISNEYROYALTY

Comment

it was a box office successful thrax.

Comment

Originally posted by thrax View Post
                      wow taling about iron man 2 already?
                      It's been announced, so yeah.

Comment

Jon Favreau on Iron Man 2!

Source: ComingSoon.net
                        June 5, 2008

CS/SHH!: "Iron Man" did really well.
                        Jon Favreau: Really, really good. You guys were the only ones who gave a sh*t before Comic-Con. Then since Comic-Con, everything just started to build, then people got excited by it, and then we just were at the MTV Awards a couple of days ago. Everybody online voted for the movie, we got some golden popcorn, and you could tell by the reviews and box office that everybody seems to have jumped on board and really loves the movie. That is really, really gratifying for all of us who worked so hard for so many years on the thing.
                        [quote]CS/SHH!: Are you still working on DVD features?
                        Favreau: Yeah, we are going to do a commentary. I just got delivered a whole bunch of extras that look really, really good. We had cameras on the set all the time. They put together something for "Iron Man" that spans from the first story meetings, to designing the suit, all the way through mixing it up at Skywalker Ranch, through the premiere. There are hours and hours of great stuff that will be available eventually. We have to look over all of that stuff so there is still a lot of work to be done. Then there is trying to figure out where the hell we are now and what we are doing.

CS/SHH!: Would you launch into another two year movie after this?
                        Favreau: Yeah, I would do it. Hopefully we'll figure out how to get "Iron Man 2" going and I'll be involved with that. You have got to out-do what you did before. So, if the last one took two years, we would need at least that to do what we are talking about, or at least thinking about. Nobody knew about "Iron Man," and that was a disadvantage in some ways, but nobody expected anything. I think people were pleased based on the fact that they had no preconceptions about the project. Now, we have a movie that people seem to like and you can't give them less. You have to give them more. There are challenges that come with that as well as the benefit of people already understanding who he is and the character. We told the origin story so where do you go from here? There are plenty of story lines to explore from the 40 years of history from that character.
                        [/QUOTE]

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=45704

Comment

I love it when directors are that involved with the DVD extras. They sound cool.

Comment

I had heard rumours that Manderin would be the villain in the sequel.
                            WDW - 1987 & 1991
                            DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
                            DLR - October 2011

Comment

Here's an article about how the next villian could be The Mandarin:

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008...ans-repul.html

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X