This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D23 Worth it?

I was wondering is the membership worth the price of silver. Is there a list of all events they have done and will be doing in the future? Because after hearing about the final boarding patch for Star Tours I got really sad that I was not a part of it.

Re: D23 Worth it?

It really depends. If I had to give a generic answer I would say no.

The Membership is only worth it if first you are a person that can and will be planning on attending many of these D23 events.

Problem with the events:
    They are mostly located in the Southern California Area. So do you live in this area?

Many of these events are now paid events, very few are free. Are you willing to pay on average of $50 for the D23 Events?

Many of the events are hard to get into. Are you available to try and get tickets on ticket sale day?

If Yes to all of these I would say yes. I and yes to the second 2 questions. and I live in N Cal so I can attend some of the weekend events. Even then I am not sure how worth it is. Cause the much cheaper events at the WalT DIsney Family Museum are sometimes better and always much cheaper.

Plus with events like Destination D... this event really needs to be something special. Cause for $125 for an event that seems very similar to what they did for WDFM for much less, I am worried I may have wasted my money.

Comment

Originally posted by Homan View Post
      It really depends. If I had to give a generic answer I would say no.

The Membership is only worth it if first you are a person that can and will be planning on attending many of these D23 events.

Problem with the events:
      They are mostly located in the Southern California Area. So do you live in this area?

Many of these events are now paid events, very few are free. Are you willing to pay on average of $50 for the D23 Events?

Many of the events are hard to get into. Are you available to try and get tickets on ticket sale day?

If Yes to all of these I would say yes. I and yes to the second 2 questions. and I live in N Cal so I can attend some of the weekend events. Even then I am not sure how worth it is. Cause the much cheaper events at the WalT DIsney Family Museum are sometimes better and always much cheaper.

Plus with events like Destination D... this event really needs to be something special. Cause for $125 for an event that seems very similar to what they did for WDFM for much less, I am worried I may have wasted my money.
      Well what events have happened so far? Is there a general list?
      I do live in Southern California and if the event is worth it than I would pay up to 50.

Comment

If it was worth it to me, I would have joined. But it is not, for basically the reason pointed out by Homan. I live on the east coast, so I can't take advantage of the D23 events.

Comment

There's an entire forum based around D23, where there are several other threads similar to this one where lots of people have voiced their opinions on the subject.
          You can also find all sorts of info on the events they have (past, present, and future).
          D23 - Disney Twenty Three - MiceChat

As far as whether I think it's worth it... yes.
          The 4 magazines you get are pretty dang cool. Extremely high quality and, while not all of the articles are really interesting, there's always something worth reading. Cool pictures too :P
          Also it comes with a cool gift. This year's gift is the Undiscovered calendar featuring Disney attractions and stuff that never came to be. (2 year calendar).
          Plus, if you're planning on attending the D23 Expo next year, it'll save you at least $10 per ticket.

So just by price alone it's completely worth it.
          $15 per magazine, a calendar (let's say $20), then $10 per D23 Expo ticket (let's say you buy 2 tickets).
          That's $75 for $100 of stuff. And that's not including the events you can attend.
          They're always trying to find more and more events for their members. It's hard to just pull random events out of thin air, but they truly do their best.
          I say it's worth it.

Comment

The magazine alone (which comes with goodies for subscribers, though they'll probably cut those out once everyone is hooked), is worth it, plus being able to go to Destination D. I live on the east coast, and would like to attend some events, but they're only going to hold those where most of the subscribers are (southern California).
            Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

I live in Michigan and have attended a Mary Poppins event in Chicago, The Expo last year, the D23 one year anniversary party at DLR, The Aloha party at WDW, and will be attending the Destination D event. There are many events I would have loved to have done, but I had to pick and choose the ones that meant the most to me. If you want to read about some of the previous events, go to the D23 site's Expo and Events page and click on check out previous events.

With you living closer I would say it is very worth it as the Studio has various events and movie showings. For the people that don't live in the area, the magazines and the gifts equal the cost of their membership. The folks at D23 understand peoples' frustration and are trying their best to expand their offerings. :thumbup:

The problem arises from the people that seem to feel that D23 owes them much more for their membership fee. If you read through the various complaints, every event should take place in every state, at a time that is not too early in the day or not too late in the evening and not cost anything. But make sure that each event is equal, so no one feels cheated.

Logically, the Disney company is mainly based in Southern CA, and this is where most things take place. To be able to bring celebrity guests, archive materials and other guest speakers/presentations on the road is just not a realistic expectation. I'm sure some people are just letting off steam with a little wishful thinking, but some are being just plain demanding.

So in other words, it's totally subjective whether 'it's worth it'. I just want people to remember that all that was promised with our membership was the 4 magazines, the chance to go behind the scenes of our favorite company and the opportunity to attend the Expo of all things Disney. If someone signs up for a year and feels they didn't get their money's worth, fine, don't renew, but don't discourage someone else from joining. Let them decide for themselves.:thumbup:

The above is my opinion only.

Comment

I do live in So Cal and have gotten to do things I never dreamt of with d23 - so it's been well worth it. I've:
                1. been on a studio and archives tour (before they started charging)
                2. seen Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins reprise his role as Mr. Dawes Sr. (this was at a discount from the regular ticket price for the show)
                3. gone to the dedication of the Animation Building to Roy E Disney ( $50 - a bit high but once in a lifetime event)
                4. gone to the Expo last year. Had its bumps but got better over the 4 days as they realized people in attendance were much more interested in DL history/legends than ABC shows.
                5. went to the Luau for the new Hawaii resort. Kind of weak - only $5 though.
                6. went to the WDFM before it opened. That was free -and worth $80 or so for 4 tickets.
                7. Went to an event at DL last year on the anniversary - saw an old restored special from the 60s on DL hosted by Tony B with Bob Gurr and had cupcakes and a good viewing of the fireworks.
                8. Will be going to Destination 55 and the trivia hunt.
                skipped several movie screenings ($5) at the studio.

Frustrations: trying to get tickets to things. Have to treat it like a Springsteen concert, but often have encountered server errors ( or email mess like the recent Star Tours event ).

So a definite strong Yes - it's been worth it - from me.

Comment

It was not worth it to me. I never read the magazine and all the events were during the week when I was at work. The expo was a joke. I got zero for my money that I felt was worth anything. I did not renew.

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
                    It was not worth it to me. I never read the magazine and all the events were during the week when I was at work. The expo was a joke. I got zero for my money that I felt was worth anything. I did not renew.
                    Just curious...why did you join in the first place? What did you think you were going to get?

Comment

I think Homan has it right. If you live in the LA or can get there easily there have been quite a few events. Keep in mind that a "free" event actually costs $5 but such is life. If you are a pin collector or a merchandise freak than D23 is perfect for you no matter where you live. Selling merchandise is it's greatest strength.

I also agree that the Disneyland anniversary program at the Walt Disney Family Museum was terrific and an incredible bargain. For less money than a D23 membership you could visit an incredible museum and listen to Disney Legends like Marty Sklar, Tony Baxter, Dick Nunis, Jack Lindquist, Buzz Price, Diane Disney Miller, Ron Miller, Matt Ouimet, and current Imagineers Bruce Vaughn and Craig Russell. I missed the celebration at Disneyland this year for this once in a lifetime event.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickeychick62 View Post
                        Just curious...why did you join in the first place? What did you think you were going to get?
                        Not knowing their schedule of "special events" ahead of time, being able to go on a few weekends...but they all seem to be during the week. There may have been a few on the weekend. I'm not even sure about that. The tickets usually sold on weekday mornings...when yes...I'm at work. So, I guess if you don't have a mon-fri 40 hour a week job it may be worth it to people....or perhaps if you work for a company that does not mind you not working and spending your time on the internet for personal reasons. For me as I stated it was not worth it at all.

The expo, I did get tickets for. As I stated it was a very disappointing. The whole time we were there it was a ghost town. I'm guessing it was not a success since I have not heard about one for this year. That really does not surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post

The expo, I did get tickets for. As I stated it was a very disappointing. The whole time we were there it was a ghost town. I'm guessing it was not a success since I have not heard about one for this year. That really does not surprise me.
                          The Expo did have it's issues. I had a WONDERFUL time, but the problem was having to wait in so many lines, which would make it appear that there weren't a lot of people out on the Expo floor. The first couple of days probably had fewer attendees, but once the word got out about the surprise guest appearances-it got quite a bit busier.

They announced back in March that there would not be an Expo this year, Destination D will alternate with it every other year. Speculation has been that they wouldn't have enough new news and presentations to make it exciting. Can't wait for next year and am looking forward to Destination D. :yea:

Comment

If you enjoy the magazine, the cost of the membership is pretty much worth it. I read most of them cover to cover, skipping Pixar articles because I'm a snot like that.

I lived in Phoenix last year, so the only event I went to was the Expo and I didn't think it was very good. Overall, I'd never realized until the Expo that I'm apparently just not THAT big of a Disney fan. It didn't help that I had to arrive a day late, leave a day early, and missed a couple panels while I was there, either, but that isn't Disney's fault.

I'm maybe a unique Disney fan in that I'm not a collector or a parent (and never want to have children), so 90% of Disney's current offerings are not, and will never be, for me. (The Disney Store panel talking about how the new stores would cater basically only to children from now on = you just lost my business forever. A family business should include every age, shouldn't it?)

BUT.

The Parks & Resorts exhibit at the Expo was almost worth the price of admission. I was a total kid in a candy shop in there. I think the Mystic Manor stuff single-handedly convinced me to finish college so I can afford to go to China.

So, if I'd lived in Southern California last year (like I do now), the membership would have been worth it to me. After thinking it over the past few days, I'm planning on renewing. But if I still lived in Phoenix, I wouldn't.

Hope that helps a little.

Comment

Yeah, if you don't live in SoCal, to be able to take advantage of some of the special events. It may not be worthwhile. Even then, several of the events have had issues with limited capacity (although that's how several of them are apparently designed). Not only that, but many of the events are during the week, so unless you live in the L.A area, it may be difficult to get to the events, if you are even able to sign up for them in the 1st place. Of course most of these special events have separate fees anyway.

The magazines I purchased during the first years aren't that great. Personally, I really hate the format, with the extra heavy cover, with pages that are just to big. It really doesn't make it very easy to page through the magazine, as other previous disney fan magazines were (The old Disney Magazine, the E-Ticket, among others) Because of oversized albotros of the D23 magazine, I looked through, and glanced through the articles, but the layout and print size, type and front, with the various colored picture backgrounds, along with the oversized pages, and binding that doesn't allow you to fold the mazazine along the center binding, ALL combine to make it VERY unreadable.

I was excited to pick up the first 4 issues. But each time, when I got home to review and read through each magazine thoroughly (as I used to with the old more normal style Disney Magazine), I found myself just barely leafing through the thing, (for the reasons already mentioned) and just set them away. I haven't gone back to look at them at all. With the older style Disney Magazine, not only did I go through them thoroughly, but I also would often go back to review them again. I still love going back to look the one with EuroDL info, and the last issue of the Magazine, which was for DL's 50th.

D23 just isn't worth it to me. Plus it seems to me, that with the large size of the magazine, it would get all banged up going through US Mail, and didn't want to take that chance. So I picked them up at my local Disney Store.

For just the magazine, definitely not worth it. And even if it was in an easier to use format, it would still be WAY overpriced. I am a BIG disney fan, and would be willing to pay 8 to 10 buck for a regular style Disney magazine, even with ads.
                              Last edited by Aladdin; 07-31-2010, 10:12 PM.
                              Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                              An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                              Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                              Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X