X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of Destination D - thoughts, reactions and suggestions

Re: Review of Destination D - thoughts, reactions and suggestions

Good piece about the weekend...thanks!

I will disagree heartily about one thing. I do NOT want any D23 events to be about 'me' or about any other member. I want it to be about Disney. If I want to see people's ideas or performances or costumes or anything else, the web is full of narcissistic sites for just that purpose. I want Disney. I don't want 'celebrities' from ABC shows. I want Disney. A trivia competition is great, it is based on the subject but allows people to interact and even grab attention in a non-annoying way

Interesting ideas for the Florida event. All in all, a really good post.

Comment

I enjoyed the panels. Even the ones that I didn't expect to be interested in turned out to be very fascinating. I'm too young to have seen the original Mickey Mouse Club but hearing their stories about Walt and being on the studio was incredibly interesting.

So overall, I really enjoyed the presentations and I can go on about what I liked but here's a few things that weren't TRUE negatives, but things that could be improved somehow.

1. The ballroom's viewing was great for maybe 1/4th of the guests. Everyone else was stuck in front of a screen. Without a good view of the guests. This to me is not great because everyone paid the same money so everyone should have the same good decent view. I agree with the OP's suggestion for a premium payment for the better view. OR... find a larger ballroom to hold the event in.

2. Due to the poor viewing conditions for the stage, meal breaks became "wait in line" breaks. Nobody wanted a bad view so as soon as we were "released" for meals, everyone poured right back in line for the next 2 hours.

3. They really should have had some sort of Mixer on one of these nights. It would have been great for them to have everyone go into another ballroom (say on Friday) during dinner time to enjoy some food, meet other members, do trivia contests, and then put on the concert THERE.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
      http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Maybe I am in the minority, but I thought the viewing was fine. Due to recent surgery, we were more concerned about finding a spot where my DH could stretch his legs whenever needed than getting a seat upfront. So we sat in the back of the room on purpose and enjoyed it immensely.

To get better sitelines for more people (and still accomodate 1000+), it would have to have been held in a theater, not a ballroom. I personally enjoyed that it was at the DLR, but we spent our lunch and dinner breaks in the parks, the hotel and DTD, not in line.

Even with premium packages, I think there will be some Disney fans that will still wait in line for 2 hours or more to make sure they have the best of the best. Too many hours logged in theme parks may have left an indelible mark. -- Suzanne

Comment

I enjoyed the event, it was a bit intense, may have been way to much content for me. I was really getting kind of tired at times. I would maybe liked something to walk around and interact and see as well. Great event, just a bit intense schedule wise for myself.

Comment

Another suggestion: Have President George Kalogridis talk on his own without Garth "doesn't really know disney parks too well" Kemp moderating. He was okay... but just not my cup of tea for this type of thing. Nice synergy though... I enjoyed seeing the video of them doing the canoe races.

Comment

I agree that the interview set up thing with George was a little odd..especially since the interviewer wasn't up to to Disney knowledge snuff for that crowd. I would have rather seen him just talk to us without an interviewer. I like the idea of a trivia contest, but would like to see something offered for shyer fans (like me, who, although I knew the answers would never raise my hand). I don't mind some fan stuff, but I agree that I am there to see DISNEY pros. I am not at all bothered by the offererings of other arms of the company, as I found alot of that interesting at the Expo..(not too thrilled about the Marvel stuff that will be there next year, but oh well, it will bring more people in and that's good..anyone want my Sorcerer seat for Marvel stuff? I will also be giving away the massage certificate..ack. ). Since I had been to the Expo, several of the presentations were basically re-runs, but still enjoyed for the most part. But I won't watch them a third time at the Expo so hope they change it up.
              I thought having the concert on Friday night was odd as it should be more of a finale thing (but maybe performers could only come on Friday), and the presentation chosen to end it with just fell flat as an ending. They could have just expanded the Follow Me Boys segment, with Tony Baxter's heartfelt comments and more clips playing along with the song and ended it that way. I also thought they might have a little parting gift for us...we do love our swag. I also thought time in those chairs got to be too long. They could have given some breaks and done away with a presentation or two that kinda was repetitive of others we had already seen..maybe set up a mill around/snack area with some archive stuff or something to stretch our legs. I also thought the lining up thing was ridiculous and we didn't do it until about 1/2 hour out of the doors opening. We did ok with seeing on the first side section most of the time. I thought it was nuts people would leave for a break and get right back in line., but to each his own.
              My biggest concern is that D23 is going to run out of things to discuss..but they really shouldn't...they just need to think outside the box going forward. Instead of having the same basic Imagineer panel (although I like that they are adding the younger ones) have just one or two go in more detail about a smaller subject. I could listen to Bob Gurr go on about just about anything for a whole hour easily.
              But..overall. Well done and I can't wait for the Expo!
              (I did think it was strange that they announced a Destination D next year when it was originally announced to be bi-yearly alternating with the Expo, but since they have had so many angry members and ex members not thinking WDW is getting enough play, I guess that pushed them to do it early)

Comment

They sent out surveys and I suggested that Destination D and Scavenger Hunt for Disneyland should be 2 days TOTAL. Have a mixer at the end of Destination D and have a party at the end of the scavenger hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                  They sent out surveys and I suggested that Destination D and Scavenger Hunt for Disneyland should be 2 days TOTAL. Have a mixer at the end of Destination D and have a party at the end of the scavenger hunt.
                  Aw, poop. It looks like only the team leader's from the Scavenger Hunt get surveys. I wonder if there is any way for me to tell them my thoughts that would actually reach them.
                  "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
                  "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

Comment

First, I love all things Disney & especially the history of Disneyland-I was looking forward to this event- However, I felt the two full days of meetings was a little too much, especially since some of the stories mentioned were repeated in some of the following seminars.

There really should have been short breaks between each of the meetings- Yes, I know it would be hard to have a lot of people get up, leave and come back- but sitting for 3 or more hours at a time was a real pain in the butt.

Even though I wanted to attend the meetings, I left early both days since I was getting a little stir crazy and there were still things I wanted to get done at Disneyland & unfortunately missed out on the concert and the seminar where the posters were given out.

Either way, I still had a good time, but still think that the days could have been a bit shorter.

Comment

I LOVED the 2 days, but there were a few things that could have changed. I agree witht the seating. The stage was amazing to look at, but unless you stood in line for 2 hours you weren't able to get decent seats and ended up watching a screen. The concert Friday night was amzing, but a little off. It really felt like a finale kind of thing and then the actual "finale", just seemed like one of the regular sessions. Most of the people presenting were really great. Becky Kline was a great way to start with weird Disney, but the guy she was with was just plain obnoxious. When he came back later in a panel, we just left. I couldn't stand to listen to him at all. There also seemed to be a lot of Tim O'Day. It was interesting that some people you only saw once, and others were there many times. I guess it had to do with what you are an expert about.

There were so many things that were amazing about the two days. Seeing Walt's last video, all the amazing pics and video of Disneyland being built and the early years, and the Mouseketeers were all awesome, but I think the highlight for me and something I will NEVER forget is getting to listen to Richard Sherman talk about and play his songs!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X