This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destination D Event Information Released

This morning, D23 released information about their upcoming "Destination D" event at the Disneyland Resort scheduled for August 11th and 12th, 2012. The event pays homage to Disney's animation legacy with two days of pannel discussions and screenings.

The event costs $225 per person. A "Diamond Level" which offers special seating and perks for $1,000 per person has sold out.

Here are the currently available event details:

Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animated Features

Walt Disney and the First Golden Age of Disney Animation
    • Joe HaleBurny MattinsonTed Thomas

Roy E. Disney and the Second Golden Age of Disney Animation
    • Dave BossertRoy P. DisneyDon Hahn

The Greatest Disney Animation You Never Saw Don Hahn and Creative Director for Walt Disney Animation Studios David Bossert present rarely seen (or never before seen at all) Disney artwork and animation from more than 75 years of Disney animated features.

Animating The Disney Parks
    • Tony BaxterEddie Sotto

An Evening Concert: Dick Van Dyke & The Vantastix
    The fun continues into the night with an unforgettable evening of harmony provided by Dick Van Dyke & The Vantastix. The popular vocal quartet is comprised of legendary television, Broadway and film star Dick Van Dyke

Wacky and Wild Disney Animation
    • Jerry BeckEric Goldberg

Tinker Bell: The Evolution of a Disney Character
    • Mindy JohnsonMargaret Kerry

• Andreas Deja

Hearing Voices: A Salute to Disney Character Voice Artists
    • Dick JonesKathryn BeaumontLisa DavisDavid FrankhamBruce ReithermanChris Sanders

Marge Champion, the live-action reference model for the character of Snow White. Also joining the presentation will be Gabriella Calicchio
    Tickets to Destination D are available now HERE

---------- Post added 06-05-2012 at 10:32 AM ----------

If you are planning to attend Destination D, click the Facebook Like button at the top left of this thread.

Here's an image of where you can find the LIKE button
    Last edited by Dustysage; 06-05-2012, 11:09 AM.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Re: Destination D Event Information Released

Since this event has yet to sell out, I'm thinking the membership has made it known that this event is too much money. I have spoken to a few members who went to the previous Destination D and have decided to sit this one out due to it's cost. What is everyone else thinking?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Carrefour View Post
      What is everyone else thinking?
      Pass. Dollars to churros, within a year it'll be on DVD for $29.95 -- which is all that this collection of B-listers and re-chewed history is worth.
      "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
      Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
      imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Several reasons IMO why this event hasn't sold out. These are not in any particular order...

-- This year's Destination D theme is narrower and less popular than previous Destination Ds. I would think theme parks and current animation are more popular than the history of Disney animation. I feel a lot of Disney fans are not into the historical aspect of the company and in fact for some unknow to me reason hate it. I think history in general is one of those things people love or hate.

-- The capacity of Destination Ds is quite large compared to some of the other D23 events (except the expo). The event can handle quite a few people. The screenings at the studios also has a high capacity, but those events are free.

-- There was no scavenger hunt attached to this year's Destination D. Again, it is my opinion that fan's that love the theme parks and wanted to do the scavenger hunt decided to also attend the Destination D since they were already going to be there. And the previous Destination Ds at both DLR and WDW were theme park themes.

-- Price point. Although there are varying opinions on the "value" of Destination Ds, $225 a head does start to eliminate a larger portion of the fan base. And since this is a multi-day event, many people also have to make sleeping accomodations which adds to the cost.

I'm sure you all will have your own opinions about which are the biggest reasons.

---------- Post added 08-02-2012 at 01:12 PM ----------

Since we are talking about the event... here is the final schedule of events for the weekend.

D23 Presents Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animated Features
        August 11 & 12, 2012
        Disneyland Hotel Grand Ballroom
        Anaheim, California
        Event Program

Friday, August 10
        Disneyland Hotel South Exhibit Hall

Saturday, August 11
        Breakfast/Snack carts available for food purchase until 9:00 am
        General Admission Seating
        Hosted by Becky Cline, director of the Walt Disney Archives. Disney Legend Burny Mattinson, famed Disney animation layout artist and film producer Joe Hale, and noted film documentary director Ted Thomas * All talent and presentations subject to change
        ROY E. DISNEY AND THE SECOND GOLDEN AGE OF DISNEY ANIMATION
        Roy Patrick Disney, Oscar-nominated Disney animation film producer Don Hahn, acclaimed Disney animation film writers, directors, and producers John Musker and Ron Clements and Dave Bossert, creative director and head of special projects at Walt Disney Animation Studios, remember Roy E. Disney and his impact on Disney animated features of the 1980s and ‗90s.
        Disneyland Resort restaurants will be open and snack carts available in the Exhibit Hall. Please note that all seating in the ballroom will be cleared. No reserved seating upon return.
        Hosted by Disney animator Darrin Butters.
        In a presentation created exclusively for Destination D, members will get an inside look at how the legacy of Disney animation lives on today with a never-before-seen peek into exciting current and upcoming projects from Walt Disney Animation Studios. Exclusive sneak peeks and footage from the comedy "
        Wreck-It Ralph," the 2013 feature film "Frozen" and short films "Paperman" and "Tangled Ever After" will be revealed by the filmmakers themselves.
        THE GREATEST DISNEY ANIMATION YOU NEVER SAW
        Hosted by Oscar-nominated Disney animation film producer and author Don Hahn and creative director and head of special projects at Walt Disney Animation Studios Dave Bossert.
        We have opened the film vaults to bring you rarely and never-before-seen Disney animation from throughout the years, including commercials, test animation, cut sequences, and more.
        Tony Baxter and Imagineering vice president of creative development Tom Morris join former Disney Imagineer and noted designer Eddie Sotto to discuss how famed Imagineers such as Herb Ryman, John Hench, Claude Coats, Marc Davis, and others brought their talents from the realm of Disney animation and applied those skills to creating Disney Parks.
        Disneyland Resort restaurants will be open for your convenience. Please note that all seating in the ballroom will be cleared. No reserved seating upon return. * All talent and presentations subject to change
        The fun continues into the night with an unforgettable evening of harmony provided by Dick Van Dyke & The Vantastix - the popular vocal quartet comprised of legendary television, Broadway and film star Dick Van Dyke Mike Mendyke, Bryan Chadima, and Eric BradleyWALT & EL GRUPO Walt & El Grupo. Hosted by director Ted Thomas and producer Kuniko Okubo, the film chronicles the amazing 10-week trip that Walt Disney and his hand-picked group of artists and filmmaking talent (later known as ―El Grupo‖) took to South America in 1941 at the behest of the U.S. Government.

Sunday, August 12
        Breakfast/Snack carts available for food purchase until 9:00 am
        Eric Goldberg and animation historian Jerry Beck * All talent and presentations subject to change
        Hosted by Mindy Johnson, Disney animation historian and author.
        Mindy (author of the upcoming book Tinker Bell: An Evolution Margaret Kerry and Ginni Mack, actress and voice artist Mae Whitman, and animation director Peggy Holmes.
        Disneyland Resort restaurants will be open and snack carts will be available in the Exhibit Hall. Please note that all seating in the ballroom will be cleared. No reserved seating upon return.
        Dickie Jones - Pinocchio (Pinocchio)
        Kathryn Beaumont - Alice and Wendy Darling (Alice in Wonderland & Peter Pan)
        Lisa Davis - Anita (One Hundred and One Dalmatians)
        David Frankham - Sgt. Tibbs (One Hundred and One Dalmatians)
        Bruce Reitherman - Mowgli/Christopher Robin (Jungle Book & Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree)
        Bill Farmer - Goofy (The Goofy Movie)
        Chris Sanders - Stitch (Lilo & Stitch)
        * All talent and presentations subject to change
        Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Marge Champion, the live-action reference model for the character of Snow White. Also joining the presentation will be Gabriella CalicchioAlex Rannie.
        Disneyland Resort restaurants will be open for your convenience. Please note that all seating in the ballroom will be cleared. No reserved seating upon return.
        Please ―Be Our Guest‖ as we conclude our celebration with a rare musical concert by Disney Legend Alan Menken. With eight Academy AwardsTangled (Oscarnominee), Enchanted (three Oscar nominations) The Little Mermaid (two Oscar wins), Beauty and the Beast (two Oscar wins), Aladdin (two Oscar wins), Pocahontas (two Oscar wins), Hercules (Oscar nominee), The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Oscar nominee), Little Shop of Horrors (Oscar nominee), Home on the Range, and Newsies.
        Alan is currently the first songwriter in 13 years to have three new shows running concurrently on Broadway (Sister Act, Newsies, and Leap of Faith). His Broadway successes include The Little Mermaid (Tony Awardnominee), Beauty and the Beast, Little Shop of Horrors, and Sister Act (Tony Award nominee). His other stage productions include King David, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Aladdin.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger55 View Post
          -- This year's Destination D theme is narrower and less popular than previous Destination Ds. I would think theme parks and current animation are more popular than the history of Disney animation. I feel a lot of Disney fans are not into the historical aspect of the company and in fact for some unknow to me reason hate it. I think history in general is one of those things people love or hate.
          If it wasn't for the animation, well ... the Disney we know and love wouldn't be here today. For me, the animation is what defines Disney and why I like Disney. I wanted to be an animator growing up. For me, it's not the parks (which I do enjoy) which define Disney - although they are important. This is the dream D23 event I pretty much had hoped for when signing up. If D23 went away tomorrow (which I hope it doesn't), I will have received more than my money's worth just from them doing this event.

-- There was no scavenger hunt attached to this year's Destination D. Again, it is my opinion that fan's that love the theme parks and wanted to do the scavenger hunt decided to also attend the Destination D since they were already going to be there. And the previous Destination Ds at both DLR and WDW were theme park themes.
          Having attended the WDW Destination D, I can say I had less than zero interest in some cockamamie scavenger hunt.

-- Price point. Although there are varying opinions on the "value" of Destination Ds, $225 a head does start to eliminate a larger portion of the fan base. And since this is a multi-day event, many people also have to make sleeping accomodations which adds to the cost.
          Here's where we'll agree to disagree. I said this elsewhere, but the WDW Destination D was I believe $175. A $50 increase for the Destination D event this year, while not cheap, I still feel is good value since it is much better content than you get elsewhere (of course if it appeals to you).

Where it does get questionable is the Diamond Level. I paid it, but for me, like I said, this is my holy grail - getting the tour of the animation stuff over at the Studios. It saves me money from ever taking the ABD tour. So while expensive, it's focused and just what I wanted.

I would gladly attend a Destination D event every year over the Expo. Speaking of, where's the outrage for the Expo tickets? The multi-day pass for the 2011 one was $85 for early bird. Now it's $115 - a 35% increase. In comparison, the Destination D at $225 - while more expensive - is only a 28% increase. Add to that I won't have to get in line hours early just to sit in a 60 minute talk and kill my day ... and possibly not even get into said session. Brilliant. Destination D for the win.

Then you have the Sorcerer package. If memory serves me correctly, that package was like $500 last time. $1500 now? What drugs are they on? It will still sell out in mere minutes - that I have no doubt. Disney has yet to prove to me the Expo and the abomination that was the experience in 2011 will not be repeated.

I'm very much looking forward to next weekend. I can't wait.

Comment

Since you in fact are going it isnt shocking at all that none of my reasons listed matched your personal opinion. The reasons I listed are meant to be opinions held by those NOT going! Lol

And the fact you complain that prices for the expo packages are too hight actually shows we AGREE on my point that event price points do affect people's decisions on if the will attend or not. Lol. Everyone has their own personal financial situation. Disagreeing with my statement means you believe price point has NO effect on people's decision to attend or that you think $225 should be affordable for everyone.

So it is great this event matches your interest and provides good value for your personal situation. Your situation and opinions however doesn't provide any explanation of why it didn't sell out, which WAS the point I was making.

ps I'm doing Diamond so you really missed the point I was making. :lol:

Comment

Is the event now sold out...when I try to buy tickets, it doesn't say sold out, but is says the event is now closed. Are they selling tickets there?

Comment

My guess would be that they have a deadline to get numbers to the Disneyland Hotel, so they can make their logisitical plans for the event. Since the registration at the hotel open Friday night, along with first access to the merchandise area, and main activiites kicking off Saturday morning, I think they've hit that deadline.
                My Disney blog: http://disneyhistory-myjourneyofdiscovery.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ticket sales were available again today.

Comment

Hey is there anyone out there who could pick me up the buttons sets for sale at the event. They look really cool . I am more than happy to pay retail + shipping + extra for processing. If anyone can help me please contact me.
                    Thanks,
                    Andrew

Comment

Was an online PDF catalog of the Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation Merchandise released?

Timekeeper
                      sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
                      Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X