Favorite Book Quotes

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Book Quotes

Thought it might be cool to see some of our favorite book quotes:

I'm currently reading The Masked Rider by Neil Peart and came across this gem as he was talking about crossing an armed checkpoint in West Africa on his bicycle tour.

And at that moment, out of nowhere, the origin of the word gendarmes came to me. Gens d'armes translates freely as "guys with guns". I like those sudden flashes of understanding, like the time in France when I was pedaling by a county line and noticed that the word for county, comte', was like the word for count, comte. Then I saw the connection. A Comte rules over a compte', just as a count rules over a county.

An interesting thing to know, simple, neat, and, like so many facts, useless. Like guys with Guns.
    It's the last bit I like best, but it's good to know the context.

Re: Favorite Book Quotes

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
    Nick Caraway in F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby

Excellent thread Gregg, thanks!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

"Don't underestimate the value of doing nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering."
      - Winnie the Pooh

I love this quote and I have always enjoyed pondering the authors intent!

The prospect of the long tram wait at the end of the day...

I have several:

"Yossarian was in love with the chaplain." -- Catch-22

"Call me Ishmael." -- Moby Dick

"The public good be damned!" -- Atlas Shrugged

"A philistine on the sidewalk." -- Calvin and Hobbes

HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

A little overused, but a great quote from The Perks of Being a Wallflower:

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
            It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

"A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
              The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
              Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
              Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
              For never was a story of more woe
              Than this of Juliet and her Romeo."

My favorite Shakespeare play. My daughter's named after it.

"Those who meant well behaved in the same way as those who meant badly"
                ~Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio
                  Then are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Shakespeare's Hamlet.

I usually fall upon this quote whilst ghost-hunting. It reminds me, no matter what our religions or beliefs tell us, that there is just no way of knowing everything.

husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Although I've never actually read the book, I love the line from A Tale of Two Cities, "It was the best of times, and it was the worst of times..."
                    Oh. That looks nice.

Originally posted by ashfordT View Post
                      Although I've never actually read the book, I love the line from A Tale of Two Cities, "It was the best of times, and it was the worst of times..."
                      That's the opening line I LOVE that book and read it at least once a year. A very powerful book indeed.

"Sadly, sadly, the sun rose; it rose upon no sadder sight than the man of good abilities and good emotions, incapable of their directed exercise, incapable of his own help and his own happiness, sensible of the blight on him, and resigning him-self to let it eat him away."
                      ~~ A Tale of Two Cities

"There is always more misery among the lower class than there is humanityin the higher."
                      ~~ Les Miserables

"The quantity of civilization is measured by the quality of imagination."
                      ~~ Les Miserables

"Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most."
                      ~~ Crime and Punishment

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Ad Widget

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 3,719 at 09:15 AM on 07-20-2012.