This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Disney Withdraws Request To Trademark "Dia de los Muertos"

After outcry, Disney nixes attempt to trademark 'Dia de Los Muertos' for movie-themed products (Updated) | Multi-American | 89.3 KPCC

Disney Withdraws Request To Trademark "Dia de los Muertos"

Disney recently requested a trademark for the phrase "Dia de los Muertos", for a possible title for a previously announced Disney - Pixar animated movie. However, word got out about this yesterday, Tuesday, and it created a backlash against Disney, with people asking how Disnwy could trademark a cultural tradition.

Later that same day Disney said they were withdrawing the filing forthe trademark request.

This news story is from Fronteras, a coalition of public radio stations in Phoenix AZ and the Arizona Republic.
    Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
    An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
    Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
    Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Re: Disney Withdraws Request To Trademark "Dia de los Muertos"

I just posted this under PIXAR, maybe they can merge the two threads?

Comment

I think Disney has the right idea trying to trademark holidays. I'm going to file an application to get the rights to the word "Chanukah" before anyone else grabs it.
        "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

thank god. that was a horrible idea. so sickening that they try to do that.

Comment

Cheeky. Either that or Disney's legal team was so clueless that they didn't even know that it's the name of a holiday.

By the way, this reminds me of the time when Disney was successfully sued by PING, a manufacturer of golf equipment, for using the Chinese name Ping for one of their toy action figures (Mulan as a soldier--nothing to do with golf). Even though "ping" is a common word found in the dictionary, in addition to being a Chinese person's name, it had been trademarked by PING (how did that happen?!), and therefore Disney was found to be in violation (much to the disgust of the judge who was compelled by law to make the ruling, as I recall). Maybe this time Disney's lawyers were thinking "We can do that too!" but obviously it didn't work out for them.
            Last edited by Robert Cook; 05-11-2013, 08:48 PM.

Comment

it sad that disney is sinking to new lows like that one. trying to be all hip hop and edgy and now that. wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
                it sad that disney is sinking to new lows like that one. trying to be all hip hop and edgy and now that. wow.
                A little confused about how trademarking the name of a holiday is hip and edgy. Its a terrible idea of course, i just dont get it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ridesandstuff

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
                  I just posted this under PIXAR, maybe they can merge the two threads?
                  Make that three threads -- I just posted it under "The Walt Disney Company." :blush:
                  Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-12-2013, 12:08 AM.
                  "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                  Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                  imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by imaginashton View Post
                    A little confused about how trademarking the name of a holiday is hip and edgy. Its a terrible idea of course, i just dont get it.
                    all that matter is that it did not happen. it is just too weird in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
                      all that matter is that it did not happen. it is just too weird in my opinion.
                      I think it would have been an intersting idea for a movie, especially a PIXAR one at that. Yet trademarjing a holiday is going a little far. By the way, the only thing "hip and edgey" that Disney is trying to do is the Disney Channel. Which we all know fails harder than Howard the Duck.
                      sigpic

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LordVader View Post
                        I think it would have been an intersting idea for a movie, especially a PIXAR one at that. Yet trademarjing a holiday is going a little far. By the way, the only thing "hip and edgey" that Disney is trying to do is the Disney Channel. Which we all know fails harder than Howard the Duck.
                        :lol:

Comment

Thank you, Thank you. I'll be here all week.
                          sigpic

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                            Make that three threads -- I just posted it under "The Walt Disney Company." :blush:
                            Wait I wanted to trademark the thread

Comment

I'm actually still excited for this film...I hope it does well

http://www.youtube.com/user/ridesandstuff

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X