• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hathaway Browne
    MiceChatter
    • Jul 2008

Disney's Planes to get theatrical release

Direct to DVD no more, Planes due to fly into cinemas this coming summer.

While Planes takes place in the CarsTangled and Wreck-It Ralph. Instead, it hails from DisneyToon Studios. Their credits include a handful of theatrical features, like and A Goofy Movie, but consists mostly of direct-to-DVD sequels such as Mulan II, Tarzan II, and Bambi III.

The studio announced today that Planes will get a theatrical release on August 9, 2013.
    - /film

The original teaser trailer.
    sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney
  • indianajack
    will-o-the-whip
    • Dec 2009

Re: Disney's Planes to get theatrical release

When I first saw this trailer months ago, I thought it was a parody of Cars, and was then shocked to find out it wasn't.

Comment

• calsig31
      -
      • Aug 2009

Here comes the next expansion of CA Adventure: Planes Land.
      "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

• MrsMonroe
        I am not a Krusty Krab
        • Jun 2012

Time to retheme Soarin
        sigpic

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Comment

• Coheteboy
          Starcruiser.. crash crash
          MiceChat Moderator
          • Sep 2005

Sadly, toonifying Soarin' would make it more entertaining.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
          http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• penguinsoda
            Jester of Randomness
            MiceChat Moderator
            • Jan 2005

I think it looks cute! I was going to buy it when it came out on DVD... I still will but guess I will have to wait a bit longer to get it.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
            all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

• Hathaway Browne
              MiceChatter
              • Jul 2008

I guess giving it a cinematic release removes the stigma of "direct-to-DVD" but some will still see it as a cash grab.
              Putting my Disney fan business hat on for a moment, it doesn't seem a bad idea expanding the Cars market (even if this isn't a Pixar product) and may just find a niche for itself, at least in the Disney Stores.

I'll reserve judgement until we see more, but I'll admit though, it looks well done.
              sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
              Walt Disney

Comment

• DisneylandTraveler
                MiceChatter
                • Jun 2011

Easy to explain. The Pixar release in June, Monsters University - not exactly a merchandising dynamo though it should do quite nicely in theaters-. But next Christmas after the Planes release - shelves lined with toy planes, racks of plane t-shirts, large end-caps stuffed with DVD's and Blu-Rays. A new cash cow.
                Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Comment

• A113PoCfan
                  New MiceChatter
                  • Apr 2012

Wait, this is real?!?

Comment

• Coheteboy
                    Starcruiser.. crash crash
                    MiceChat Moderator
                    • Sep 2005

Or... the movie just might be better than they all expected it to be and if that's the case, has a shot of bigger money in a theatrical release and a shot at the Oscars and Annie Awards (its a long shot but a shot nonetheless).

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

• fifthrider
                      Banned User
                      • Oct 2008

What's everyone surprised for? This isn't new. I could have sworn I saw this trailer online 1.5 to 2 years ago.

Also, whether this is Pixar or Disney, it started out as a Pixar effort. I wish I could name names, but my friend who works there was slated to be on Planes 3 ( talk about planning into the future! ) when he was told there would be no Planes 3, maybe a 2 at best.

Comment

• Hathaway Browne
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jul 2008

^You are correct, the trailer first came out August '11, but that was back when it was Direct-to-DVD, however they've now elevated it to a theatrical release. Which one could hope means that they've realised its "too good just for DVD" (pause for laughter).
                        sigpic

Walt Disney

Comment

• krystledm
                          MiceChatter
                          • Mar 2006

I'm actually excited for this, as if my brother. I think it looks more entertaining than a car movie. But that is just me.

Comment

• MWH1980
                            MiceChatter
                            • Aug 2012

When I first heard about 'Cars' back in 2004, I was already sold on that concept.

However, I've always had a soft-spot for automobiles since I was young.

As for 'Planes,' I haven't been pulled in by the previews.
                            The list of Disney people I've encountered in my life: John Lasseter, Brad Bird, Lee Unkrich, Darla K Anderson, Eric Goldberg, Don Hahn, Peter Schneider, Burney Mattinson, John Musker, Ron Clements, Nik Ranieri, John Kahrs, Jeff Turley, Patrick Osbourne, Dave Bossert, Roy P Disney.

People I would love to meet in person: Glen Keane, Andreas Deja.

Comment

• fifthrider
                              Banned User
                              • Oct 2008

Of all the ideas that were shown to test audiences, this one had the best response. This either means it was that good or the rest weren't as interesting. This trailer alone doesn't show much of anything.

Comment

• gatheringrosebuds
                                ~
                                • Aug 2012

Yes. Anything released by the DisneyToon Studios is automatically golden. I'll start bracing myself for the shelves upon shelves filled with planes merchandise and the inevitable retheme of Condor Flats into "Planes Land".

Seriously though, I am a little surprised that this is getting a theatrical release. And it just strikes me odd that it's based off the original world from a Pixar film but isn't going to be Pixar film-- there's something obviously askew that signals that this really isn't a genuine effort by the world's creators to take you to another part of that universe, but rather a spin-off whose relative success can be expected due to the popularity and marketability of the franchise of which it will be a part. I don't see anything special happening here.

But the little plane is cute.

Comment

• explodingboy
                                  • Jan 2010

Honestly, it looks awful.

Comment

• fifthrider
                                    Banned User
                                    • Oct 2008

Based on such a short and unsubstantive trailer I can't see how anyone can have enough info to tell if it's bad or good. Looking back at the original trailer for Cars one could have come to the same conclusion. Was this really any better of an indication of what lie ahead than the trailer for Planes?

Comment

• DuffylovrDisney
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Dec 2012

I am very interested in seeing more previews of this movie. From what I can tell it will definitely be something cute and something I can take my little brothers to see.

Comment

• Hathaway Browne
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Jul 2008

Cast list and a plot synopsis from /film.com

CarsPlanes centers on a crop duster named Dusty who unexpectedly qualifies for a prestigious around-the-world race. His competition includes French-Canadian racer Rochelle (Julia Louis-Dreyfus), RAF aircraft Bulldog (John Cleese), and his ultimate nemesis, defending World Rally champ Ripslinger (Roger Craig Smith). Fortunately, Dusty will also have plenty of supporters to help him along the way. That includes his best friend, fuel truck Chug (Brad Garrett), forklift Dottie (Teri Hatcher), and his WWII-era Corsair mentor Skipper (Stacy Keach). In addition, F-18 fighter jets Bravo and Echo (Val Kilmer and Anthony Edwards) are there to help out when Dusty gets into a situation over the Pacific.

The race will take Dusty to far-off locales including Iceland, Germany, India, and Mexico, but it begins and ends in New York, the home base of Cars Racing Sports Network. Reporting on the event will be blimp Colin Cowling, voiced by ESPN host Colin Cowherd. Cedric the Entertainer (as Leadbottom), Gabriel Iglesias (Ned and Zed), Carlos Alazraqui (El Chupacabra), Priyanka Chopra (Ishani), and Sinbad (Roper) round out the rest of the cast.
                                        sigpic

Walt Disney

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X