We've been missing in action for the past few weeks on this blog. Here's what we've been up to over the past few weeks.
We participated in the Seal Beach Parade and it was rather fun since many people recognized the truck right off the bat. Other's seemed a bit confused. Either way we made some kind of impression on them.
Then the holidays hit, family gatherings, and overtime at work took their toll, however we were able to find some time to work on the rocket.
After many weeks of work and countless prototypes we thought we had finished the rocket. But after less than a week with it we realized that we could do better. Although the above rocket was sturdy, the top fin was slightly off centered due to the seam. Another problem was that the material was not transparent enough to be lit from the inside, a detail we had hoped to achieve since day one. So, it was back to the drawing board for now.
The Ricchio's went back to work and plowed through several versions of the rocket. After a week and a half of near constant work they earned their degree in light up rocket science (Imagine the montage from October Sky with less explosions).
One of the keys to the Ricchio's design was that the updated rocket would have it's own internal light and support system provided by some modified towing lights.
Joining the two halves of the rocket body was most troublesome step of the process. Several shells cracked and destroyed or converted to various sea creatures (Blimpie the Dolphin for example)
With the rocket completed we were ready for installation but first there were some minor wiring issues to be dealt with. We called David C. (previous appearances) for his technical knowhow.
After several hours of rewiring (and finding out that the previous owner did not take the best care of the taillights) we hadn't made much progress. That coupled with the battery being drained from the parade several weeks before did not help matters and we had to be cautious with how long we had the lights on without the engine running.
After a bit more rewiring and soldering we were ready to test the rocket. In our excitement we forgot to start the truck and this did not end well and we had to back the truck into the garage with people power.
But, before the truck refused to start we took this picture.
We are almost finished. All we have left to do is weather the exterior paint and a few minor details here and there. We are also in the process of finalizing our itinerary and planning our road trip.
Thank you for your support and stay tuned.
Login or Sign Up
- Log in with Facebook