Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COST of plexiglass platform cover

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • COST of plexiglass platform cover

    I live in Minnesota. So far I have been given 2 quotes of over $800 for a plexiglass cover for my main street platform. That's a lot more than I was expecting, especially considering that a company in CA is selling them for a little over $300. What prices have people had to pay in other parts of the country? And where? (City, State, name of Co., etc.) I'd be willing to drive a day or so to save money on a platform! Any help you can offer would be appreciated! Thanks. Tiki God
    "Quit talking while I am interrupting..."


    Visit my bluegrass band's web site at: www.monroecrossing.com

  • #2
    Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

    I actually have avoided the cover for the cost reasons once the economy turned south. Trust me, dust does collect, but I just can't afford it. The 300 figure sounds about right here in KY, but it could be higher. Also, be aware, you may want to hold off if you want to put Fantasyland and Main Street together. Otherwise, you're re-buying a cover with expenses added in and have an existing cover that no longer fits.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

      Yeah just got the platform for our collection.. Anyone know a trick to get Sleeping beauty's castle off her base?

      Loving Disney Since 2006!
      Portfolio: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

        Originally posted by cakvalasc View Post
        Yeah just got the platform for our collection.. Anyone know a trick to get Sleeping beauty's castle off her base?
        Yes - carefully.

        Seriously, it's a two-person job. Make sure one person is holding the castle by it's walls while the second removes the screws from the base and battery pack, then disconnects the wires. Then, apply the footers and one person can just connect the wires to the lighting rig and put the castle in place.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

          well the one we have wont come off, we both have held it and tried to pull it off it wont come off at all. lol sigh.

          Loving Disney Since 2006!
          Portfolio: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

            Originally posted by cakvalasc View Post
            well the one we have wont come off, we both have held it and tried to pull it off it wont come off at all. lol sigh.
            Odd... make sure all the screws are removed from the four footers. But beyond that, contact the Olszewski Studios. Maybe they have some ideas.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

              Yeah all the screws are removed, this one is a special one signed by Olszewski back in 2004 i HIGHLY doubt it is any different from the ones they sell today.

              The battery slot inside did you have to remove any screws from that?

              Loving Disney Since 2006!
              Portfolio: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

                Originally posted by cakvalasc View Post
                Yeah all the screws are removed, this one is a special one signed by Olszewski back in 2004 i HIGHLY doubt it is any different from the ones they sell today.

                The battery slot inside did you have to remove any screws from that?
                No, those screws are mounted on the bottom of the battery compartment, same as the four screws on the foots. Once all the screws are out, the four in the footers and the four on the battery compartment, you should be fine.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

                  We just use a light dust cover like the ones sold for painters to cover the floors while they're painting(available at any hardware store)- it works fine and we can easily remove it when we want to display our platform for ourselves or our guests. The plexiglass cover is not only expensive but it looks heavy and cumbersome to move IMHO.
                  Last edited by tahnee; 12-30-2009, 09:37 AM.
                  Featuring a Model of Disneyland with Robert Olszewski's Disneyland Pieces

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

                    Originally posted by tahnee View Post
                    We just use a light dust cover like the ones sold for painters to cover the floors while they're painting(available at any hardware store)- it works fine and we can easily remove it when we want to display our platform for ourselves or our guests. The plexiglass cover is not only expensive but it looks heavy and cumbersome to move IMHO.
                    Good idea Tahnee! I was planning on getting a plexi cover, but with the future release of the Fantasyland platform, it just does not make sense to invest in one until I am sure of the layout and final dimensions. That dust cover is an excellent temporary solution.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

                      Think the castle platform has one still not able to get it off its base. lol.

                      Loving Disney Since 2006!
                      Portfolio: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

                        Originally posted by cakvalasc View Post
                        Think the castle platform has one still not able to get it off its base. lol.
                        I'm stumped. If the screws are out, it should come right out. Contact Olszewski or Disney for advice at this point.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

                          Because my platform table is right next to some stairs, and my new puppy loves to lie on them and stare at Main Street, I've decided to go ahead and order an acrylic cover (I have visions of her chomping on the Astro Orbiter or just jumping onto the plaform). I got a quote for $585.00 with 1/4" thickness (I know the Olszewski site recommends 3/8', but that increases the cost just shy of a grand. The person I talked to said the reason is that they are probably worried about sagging over time. However, he has built cases larger than the platform dimensions and has never had a problem).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

                            Originally posted by forestlite View Post
                            Because my platform table is right next to some stairs, and my new puppy loves to lie on them and stare at Main Street, I've decided to go ahead and order an acrylic cover (I have visions of her chomping on the Astro Orbiter or just jumping onto the plaform). I got a quote for $585.00 with 1/4" thickness (I know the Olszewski site recommends 3/8', but that increases the cost just shy of a grand. The person I talked to said the reason is that they are probably worried about sagging over time. However, he has built cases larger than the platform dimensions and has never had a problem).
                            Ouch, but makes total sense. Only thing I'd worry about is what to do in a year when you have to tack on another 2 1/2 feet for Fantasyland. That being said, having a curious one year old cat at my home, I have the same issues. She actually got up on the front of the platform yesterday and has been kept out of the room ever since.

                            The idea of sagging is something I hadn't thought about and the larger the piece gets, or longer, if you prefer, I do start to wonder how big an issue it may or may not be over time. We'll just have to see.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover



                              I was going to hold off until the Fantasyland base was issued, but based on my available space, it would block access to the stairs. Unless I move Main Street out of my collector room, the various lands will have to be on their own.

                              I feel for you about your cat, curious pets and collectibles don't mix well!

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

                                Originally posted by forestlite View Post


                                I was going to hold off until the Fantasyland base was issued, but based on my available space, it would block access to the stairs. Unless I move Main Street out of my collector room, the various lands will have to be on their own.

                                I feel for you about your cat, curious pets and collectibles don't mix well!
                                Heh! And I can see your dog has an interested eye on the castle. Set up looks great! Can't wait to see it with the tree accessories in place.

                                And yeah, I dunno what I'm going to do about Fantasyland either. Space in the back room is a premium and there really is no place else.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

                                  I have only the first two tree accessories and will order the 3rd pack when Olszewski Studios offers it up again. Was the 4th pack ever produced or was it placed on hold?

                                  I am wondering how long it will take to complete the Fantasyland platform. I know its scheduled to be released next year, but isn't King Arthur's Carousel on indefinite hold?

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

                                    Originally posted by forestlite View Post
                                    I have only the first two tree accessories and will order the 3rd pack when Olszewski Studios offers it up again. Was the 4th pack ever produced or was it placed on hold?

                                    I am wondering how long it will take to complete the Fantasyland platform. I know its scheduled to be released next year, but isn't King Arthur's Carousel on indefinite hold?
                                    Haven't heard anything about tree pack 4 in a while, so it's just up in the air right now. My guess is Olszewski is focusing it's energies on finishing Fantasyland as priority, but we'll see.

                                    Well, how long Fantasyland takes to finish depends on what's released, what's approved and when. Toad and Alice are coming in March, word is Snow White could be out in July and Pinocchio in October/November, leaving the two pieces of Storybook Land/Casey Jr., King Arthur and hopefully the Fantasyland Skyway station to go. King Arthur was held back because the price was soaring, so my money is it will be the last of the pieces to be released because of it's high dollar figure. Taking into account the rate of releases per year and how much is left, all of Fantasyland SHOULD be out by the middle of 2012 and the platform is set for release next year, so, depending on accessory packs to fill in any holes (we still dunno what's up with the Sword in the Stone courtyard, for example, plus any connecting Main Street/Fantasyland accessories), say done by mid 2012 with the main pieces with the whole thing done no later than the end of 2012.

                                    Can't wait to see the platform prototype in person. I'm honestly surprised it's not getting more conversation in these parts since we have seen a mockup of it and the pieces that will be involved in finishing it. Just been waiting for everyone else I guess.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

                                      I actually was disappointed when the King Arthur Carousel was cancelled, as I had a feeling it would be a "blow away" piece. Considering that it would/will probable cross the half grand price point, I think Olszewski should just go ahead with plans for the Matterhorn and other mountains. Even with shipping, I can't imagine it would be much more (maybe in the $600.00-650.00 range?).

                                      We should probably see more chatter on the Fantasyland platform when there is an actual mockup to view. I may have to rethink about finding space so I can butt it up next to Main Street as the overall impact would be much greater and immersive.
                                      Last edited by forestlite; 03-01-2010, 03:28 PM.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: COST of plexiglass platform cover

                                        Originally posted by forestlite View Post
                                        I actually was disappointed when the King Arthur Carousel was cancelled, as I had a feeling it would be a "blow away" piece. Considering that it would/will probable cross the half grand price point, I think Olszewski should just go ahead with plans for the Matterhorn and other mountains. Even with shipping, I can't imagine it would be much more (maybe in the $600.00-650.00 range?).

                                        We should probably see more chatter on the Fantasyland platform when there is an actual mockup to view. I may have to rethink about finding space so I can butt it up next to Main Street as the overall impact would be much greater and immersive.
                                        Well, Arthur isn't canceled, just delayed due to the costs. Bob didn't like the idea of using mirrors to create the illusion of 72 horses, so that meant sculpting each one individually. That means more resin, ergo, the cost goes up. Given we were looking at upwards of a 500 piece, Disney decided we should wait for a bit on it, which is where we are. It's still coming, just probably closer to the end of the collection than the beginning.

                                        As to the platform, I'm hoping we'll get to see the mock up or something like it at the Toad event in a week. Thing that I'm really excited about is it looks like Bob decided to include Matterhorn Way between Alice and the edge of the piece. I noticed a blank area between the edge and a mock up where the MSEP was positioned, so that looks good, plus you should have a tree accessory in the area to help blend it in with the edge of Main Street and the start of the Grotto piece.

                                        It's just I'm starting to get excited again about what the future holds, that's all.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X