• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WarriorPoets
    MiceChatter
    • Dec 2005

Crystal gazing: the future for Olszewski

Well, we're starting to get an idea of how this year and the next will shape up for Olszewski with wave 3 of the MSEP in May, Monsanto and (hopefully) Snow White in July and Pinocchio in November. Plus the possibility of getting accessory packs back in September and twice a year thereafter means some good stuff.

So, that's 2010. Thought we'd do some guessing for 2011 and beyond.

What we "know" will be coming in 2011 - Fantasyland will be virtually complete, missing only three (or four) parts: the bisected Storybook Land/Casey Jr. set, the Carousel and the possibility of the Skyway. Add to that the annual May release of the MSEP and the July Nostalgia piece and it looks fairly full. What I'm curious to see is if the Skyway is done is if it will be considered Nostalgia since, technically, it no longer exists in Disneyland. Anyway, figure three Fantasyland releases for 2011 at least, which will give us Storybook Land. If the Skyway is considered Nostalgia, we may get that in July. If not, it will count as the third release, which means the Carousel waits until 2012 for it's spotlight. I think the Nostalgia piece is tentatively supposed to be the People Mover, but depending on the Skyway, that could change. We'll also have to see about the Fantasyland Platform Base, hopefully that will be no later than the end of 2011.

2012 is where we really begin to guess since the only things we "know" are coming would be, presumably, the Carousel, wave 5 of the MSEP and a Nostalgia piece. Wave 5 should finish the MSEP, unless there is an extension for more floats (hoping for something to happen on that front personally) and the Carousel would finish Fantasyland. As for the rest of 2012, I really gotta say, especially with the Skyway and the trends of the Nostalgia collection, all signs are pointing toward a Tomorrowland collection next. Here lies a question - all Tomorrowland releases so far have been of attractions dating from between 1957 (Mark I Monorail) to 2005 (Astro-Orbiter), but the majority releases date the land to between 1957 and the 1967 remodel of Tomorrowland. Guess the question is what does Olszewski think will work and if Disney will sell it. Frankly, I'd love a retro-Tomorrowland collection over a modern Tomorrowland, but that's just me. Needless to say, the centerpieces for a Tomorrowland would be the Autopia, Small World and Matterhorn. Were I to place a bet, I see Matterhorn being saved until dead last, much like the Carousel. Costs might be a bit too high to justify it any earlier. Besides, gives collectors something to both work and look forward to.

One presumes that a Tomorrowland would take another 3-4 years to complete. So, what, ideally would you like to see? Brainstorm, wish, vent, demand. Can make for conversation at any rate.
  • forestlite
    MiceChatter
    • Jul 2008

Re: Crystal gazing: the future for Olszewski

I too prefer a retro Tomrrowland, but I wish the Matterhorn would come sooner rather than later. With the amount of money invested into this collection, I just don't see price point being a major detriment to sales. But you are probably right Matt that it will be saved until last (when there might be less releases in a given year thus minimizing the impact on the wallet). However since I am hoping for a Splash Mountain too, it would neat to have it spread out and get one of those pieces in the not too distant future.

Also, as a side thought, I would love if Olszewski would go back and create additional new insert scenes for the POTC and Haunted Mansion pieces. Heck, add Peter Pan and other ride attraction to that mix too. Can you imagine eventually having the whole ride represented and you could pick and choose scenes to display at your whim?

Comment

• EvilQueen
      Disgruntled Former CM
      • Apr 2007

I predict continued fame - and fortune - for Mr. Olszewski...!

"I've got the heart of a child..." - I keep it in a box, next to my bed...

Comment

• WarriorPoets
        MiceChatter
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by forestlite View Post
        I too prefer a retro Tomrrowland, but I wish the Matterhorn would come sooner rather than later. With the amount of money invested into this collection, I just don't see price point being a major detriment to sales. But you are probably right Matt that it will be saved until last (when there might be less releases in a given year thus minimizing the impact on the wallet). However since I am hoping for a Splash Mountain too, it would neat to have it spread out and get one of those pieces in the not too distant future.

Also, as a side thought, I would love if Olszewski would go back and create additional new insert scenes for the POTC and Haunted Mansion pieces. Heck, add Peter Pan and other ride attraction to that mix too. Can you imagine eventually having the whole ride represented and you could pick and choose scenes to display at your whim?
        Well, strange you should mentioned insert scenes or newer versions of the attractions because there's a rumble going around that a holiday version of SB Castle, Cindy Castle and Haunted Mansion COULD be coming. The rumor is extremely unclear and I'm hoping for someone to clear it up at the next event in May, but I think it's promising.

As for the insert boxes, I agree. I'd love to see a representation of the Haunted Caverns and/or the Burning of the Town for POTC. As for the Mansion, Leota's Seance would be a nice addition as well.

Aside from the loading dock, I'm not sure if there are even enough scenes from Pan that could be added. Bob really hit the highlights well with flying over London and Never Never Land. As for Toad, again, the Train is memorable, but would love to see Toad's trip to the dark side and the Golden Afternoon scene for Alice.

Comment

• Epcot2000
          MiceChatter
          • May 2009

Retro tomorrowland, with the Murals and everything. Tomorrowland actually contains several indoor attractions, and the facades aren't anything extremely detailed/amazing. I think the glory of these pieces will be in the inserts...Hopefully the CoP/America Sings insert. Can't wait for that!! It's a small world will also be GREAT to have!
          I think that they will release a major piece in each land first so that you buy that piece, and then say they release the building/area next to it...you buy that to go along with the piece, and then they release the next big piece of the land, causing you to buy the pieces inbetween so they fit together...
          If he actually plans to do the skyway and not just the stations, they plans for the matterhorn will have to be well on their way by then.

As for current/past attractions...
          CoP>Innoventions
          Country Bears>Pooh
          BTM>Mine train through nature's wonderland

He seems to know what he's doing with the set, mixing the best of the past with the good of the present to create a Disneyland that is neither past nor present, but a Disneyland representative of both the past and present.

I can't wait for the Christmas Castle pieces, it'll be great of have them, but I'm not sure exactly how they'd attach.

I'm wondering how exactly he's going to do the Tom Sawyer's Island piece... will the Rivers of america, etc. be included? Will Fantasmic be present? How exactly will the Mark Twain fit into the river with it's blue-water base?

Find out next time on.... Olszewski: The Man behind the Miniatures. (Sorry. random.)
          Matt!

Comment

• Tiki God
            New MiceChatter
            • Apr 2007

If Tomorrowland is the next big focus for Olszewski, that'll be good news for me. I currently don't plan to collect all of Tomorrowland. I am in the process of collecting the Main Street and Fantasyland pieces concurrently - Fantasyland as they are released, and playing catch-up with Main Street. I should be done with both by 2014. I never saw "old" Tomorrowland first-hand, so it's a land I can forego. However...

I really want New Orleans Square!!! All of it. Relatively small, self-contained and gorgeous.

Next, Frontierland!! Golden Horseshoe w/ an insert with the classic Wally Boag show. (Which I never saw in person! Only on DVD.) The SS Columbia!! Etc.

So, if Robert gives me a little time to catch up, while he focuses on T-land, that's fine with me. Although can I pass up on the Autopia and the Subs? I'm weakening already.

I am very interested in Holiday sets (Christmas & Halloween especially).

And more characters! Daisy, Chip N Dale, etc. A Peter Pan 5 pack, the 7 dwarves, an Alice 5 pack, etc.

That's all for now.

Tiki God
            "Quit talking while I am interrupting..."

Visit my bluegrass band's web site at: www.monroecrossing.com

Comment

• Tiki God
              New MiceChatter
              • Apr 2007

OK. More more comment.

I was VERY pleased to hear that the Village Haus piece is going to be made as well. The recent update on Cold Dead Fish was the first I had heard anything "conclusive" about it. I was never clear on what was going to happen with that part... I believe a December 2010 release was mentioned. Of course, we'll have to wait and see.

Is there a Cafe Orleans in the future? Blue Bayou? (with scene insert) French Market? (BTW I find it amusing that I can't get french dressing in the French Market. Wierd.)

TG

Comment

• Eternal Disney
                Future Animator
                • Aug 2009

If he does focus on Tomorrowland next, I really, REALLY hope he puts Captain EO in the theater and not HISTA.

Comment

• WarriorPoets
                  MiceChatter
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Tiki God View Post
                  OK. More more comment.

I was VERY pleased to hear that the Village Haus piece is going to be made as well. The recent update on Cold Dead Fish was the first I had heard anything "conclusive" about it. I was never clear on what was going to happen with that part... I believe a December 2010 release was mentioned. Of course, we'll have to wait and see.

Is there a Cafe Orleans in the future? Blue Bayou? (with scene insert) French Market? (BTW I find it amusing that I can't get french dressing in the French Market. Wierd.)

TG
                  Village Haus will come attached to Pinocchio, I think, since they share the same building. Looks like an October/November release for that.

Comment

• WarriorPoets
                    MiceChatter
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Eternal Disney View Post
                    If he does focus on Tomorrowland next, I really, REALLY hope he puts Captain EO in the theater and not HISTA.
                    If Bob sticks to the Retro plan, there won't be a Magic Eye theater, it'll be the Flying Saucers instead.

Comment

• Eternal Disney
                      Future Animator
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by WarriorPoets View Post
                      If Bob sticks to the Retro plan, there won't be a Magic Eye theater, it'll be the Flying Saucers instead.
                      What?? Which means no Star Tours? And no Space Mountain? I don't think so... at least I hope not. He already placed the new Astro Orbiter in the front, as part of the Main Street Collection, so I highly doubt he's going full Retro.

Comment

• huntzilla
                        New MiceChatter
                        • Aug 2007

It's great to see that the plan for Fantasyland is all but complete and we can look onto the future. I think Tomorrowland is the next obvious step. I would like to see a combination of both new and retro. Have the classic white look which defines DL's TL. It will be great to see what he chooses to put in here with ATIS, COP, FS, and all the other TL attractions on the table. The most important pieces here though have to be SM, MH, and the subs. I think a Space Mountain figure is something we could all agree would be a must have at any price. This line of thinking is also with the Matterhorn. As a side note, I think it would be really cool to have the skyway going through the mountain, would give the entire set so much more depth. I think the subs would be fantastic as well. Have the water features with the caves and monorail going through it. Imagine the MH with skyway going through it, with the subs and monorail right next to it, this would look really fantastic. My biggest question for TL though would be the peoplemover track. I really think he should add it within each piece so that way when the nostalgia piece comes out, you can add it onto the track, like the monorail on the track.

As for after tomorrowland, I think adventureland should be next but most likely won't. This way you could have the north, south, east, and west done and then expand outward. Overall the mountains are a must as they really deserve the Olszewski treatment. However, I think the goal should be to do the entire park, he has come this far, I don't see why he would want to stop when he has such a great opportunity to create the entire thing.

Gazing even father into the future I REALLY want to see WDW's MK as well. I know this is a DL centric forum but I'm a WDW guy. I think the entire Magic Kingdom would look really fantastic in miniature. My dream piece (or pieces) would be MK's Tomorrowland. I can just imagine it with all the lights of the TTA, Astro Orbitor, the rocks and water ways, and all of TL. It would be fantastic having a miniature version of this in my basement.

Tomorrowland area 011 062007

So is this crazy to even think about? Has Olszewski ever mentioned a stopping point or anything? It seems like he really enjoys it, I'm sure Disney really enjoys the money, and we all enjoy the pieces. I mean, there's never been miniature versions of say, Spaceship Earth, Tower of Terror, Polynesian Hotel, Tree of Life, that anybody could take home other then on a pin. I'd personally really like to see him just keep going with it. He's really amazing at what he does, I'd hate to see his talent go elsewhere.

Comment

• WarriorPoets
                          MiceChatter
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Eternal Disney View Post
                          What?? Which means no Star Tours? And no Space Mountain? I don't think so... at least I hope not. He already placed the new Astro Orbiter in the front, as part of the Main Street Collection, so I highly doubt he's going full Retro.
                          The problem with modern Tomorrowland is so much of it is indoors and frankly boring. While a Space Mountain miniature would look cool, what do you show for the actual ride, aside from the loading station?

Star Tours is fine, can just do insert boxes of the entrance queue and a Starspeeder.

Fact of the matter is the Astro Orbiter is, thus so far, the ONLY modern Tomorrowland attraction we've seen and I seem to recall there being discussions for a Clock of the World miniature to fill that hole if you want to. I must also admit that when I worked for Disney and the subject of Tomorrowland came up, the preference for the retro version outnumbered the current considerably. With all due respect to Buzz, Star Tours and Space, people have fonder memories of Flying Saucers, Carousel of Progress and Adventures through Inner Space.

I could be very wrong about this and it'll be at least another year before we get an answer, but my gut feeling is it'll be based off classic 1960s Tomorrowland.

Comment

• WarriorPoets
                            MiceChatter
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by huntzilla View Post
                            It's great to see that the plan for Fantasyland is all but complete and we can look onto the future. I think Tomorrowland is the next obvious step. I would like to see a combination of both new and retro. Have the classic white look which defines DL's TL. It will be great to see what he chooses to put in here with ATIS, COP, FS, and all the other TL attractions on the table. The most important pieces here though have to be SM, MH, and the subs. I think a Space Mountain figure is something we could all agree would be a must have at any price. This line of thinking is also with the Matterhorn. As a side note, I think it would be really cool to have the skyway going through the mountain, would give the entire set so much more depth. I think the subs would be fantastic as well. Have the water features with the caves and monorail going through it. Imagine the MH with skyway going through it, with the subs and monorail right next to it, this would look really fantastic. My biggest question for TL though would be the peoplemover track. I really think he should add it within each piece so that way when the nostalgia piece comes out, you can add it onto the track, like the monorail on the track.

As for after tomorrowland, I think adventureland should be next but most likely won't. This way you could have the north, south, east, and west done and then expand outward. Overall the mountains are a must as they really deserve the Olszewski treatment. However, I think the goal should be to do the entire park, he has come this far, I don't see why he would want to stop when he has such a great opportunity to create the entire thing.

Gazing even father into the future I REALLY want to see WDW's MK as well. I know this is a DL centric forum but I'm a WDW guy. I think the entire Magic Kingdom would look really fantastic in miniature. My dream piece (or pieces) would be MK's Tomorrowland. I can just imagine it with all the lights of the TTA, Astro Orbitor, the rocks and water ways, and all of TL. It would be fantastic having a miniature version of this in my basement.

Tomorrowland area 011 062007

So is this crazy to even think about? Has Olszewski ever mentioned a stopping point or anything? It seems like he really enjoys it, I'm sure Disney really enjoys the money, and we all enjoy the pieces. I mean, there's never been miniature versions of say, Spaceship Earth, Tower of Terror, Polynesian Hotel, Tree of Life, that anybody could take home other then on a pin. I'd personally really like to see him just keep going with it. He's really amazing at what he does, I'd hate to see his talent go elsewhere.
                            Bob has never said anything about stopping. From what I gather about the conversations I had with him and his co-worker Travis some years ago, he actually does have a plan for the entire Disneyland park, he's just refining it as he goes. It's really just a question of sales permitting him to continue in addition to costs. Oh, and yes, every piece has to be approved by Disney, so there's that nugget too.

As for how far he could take it, if you had asked me that question two years ago, I would have said Main Streets for both Disneyland and WDW, possibly Fantasyland and isolated attractions for Disneyland. Since then, things have changed. Fantasyland got approved, but with the Monorail wrapping around the Matterhorn, it became part of Tomorrowland. Plus, having the gulf of dead space between Storybook Land and Small World Mall made it easy to defer Small World and make it a part of Tomorrowland. Add in the Nostalgia Series, which have been all Tomorrowland attractions to date, plus the desire to do the Skyway and have it pass through the Matterhorn and I think you can see where this is headed. Looking very likely a minimum of three lands for Disneyland.

As for WDW, until a year ago, I was dead certain Main Street would be it. Then, right around Christmas, I started hearing Bob wanted to do miniatures of both Haunted Mansion and Pirates for WDW. This doesn't mean he's going beyond Main Street yet, but he is testing the waters. Depends on sales and reception I suppose.

Bottom line - where does it end? When we stop buying the pieces. At this rate, that doesn't look too likely anytime real soon, does it?

Comment

• Dr. G
                              Distant Disneylandaholic
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by WarriorPoets View Post
                              While a Space Mountain miniature would look cool, what do you show for the actual ride, aside from the loading station?
                              That's easy--the complete track, with the lights on . Just make it so the entire roof lifts off and you see the entire track. Oh, think of the sales to be made, even to the non-Olszewski collectors...

Comment

• Epcot2000
                                MiceChatter
                                • May 2009

Uhm... I think the pieces are nice and all, but where's the shrinking machine so I can visit my Main Street? Haha. I wish. anyway. Back on topic, as I said in an earlier post, I'd rather not have a full-retro or a full-present tomorrowland. A blend of the "Best of tomorrowland...1995-2010" would be great.
                                Matt!

Comment

• Eternal Disney
                                  Future Animator
                                  • Aug 2009

A best of tomorrowland would be better, but I think there would still be a conflict on what is considered 'best.' I don't think it would matter that the majority of the attractions are indoors, since most of Disneyland's attractions are indoors anyways.

Comment

• Tiki God
                                    New MiceChatter
                                    • Apr 2007

Tomorrowland is HUGE! I can't imagine how $$$ it would be to acquire the whole land. That's why I'm for selected attractions as opposed to collecting the whole land. Autopia. Subs. Plus, perhaps, some attractions from the Magic Kingdom's tomorrowland: Space Mountain, which is free standing. CoP - with inserts for CoP, Americas Sings.

Tiki God

Comment

• forestlite
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jul 2008

Tomorrowland is the least appealing area of the park to me (at least as how it stands now). I would cast a vote for vintage TL, but would still rather see a Frontierland with the Golden Horse Shoe Revue or New Orleans Square first.

I agree with Tiki God, a Blue Bayou would be incredible. I may have mentioned this ina prior post, but my ultimate dream would be a Carousel of Progress with all 4 scenes (I believe that was how much time periods were shown...it's been a while). I can just imagine playing "It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" while admiring the piece. Also a Thunder Mountain piece as well a Nostalgia Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland would be cool.

Comment

• Dr. G
                                        Distant Disneylandaholic
                                        • May 2005

Originally posted by forestlite View Post
                                        Tomorrowland is the least appealing area of the park to me (at least as how it stands now). I would cast a vote for vintage TL, but would still rather see a Frontierland with the Golden Horse Shoe Revue or New Orleans Square first.

I agree with Tiki God, a Blue Bayou would be incredible. I may have mentioned this ina prior post, but my ultimate dream would be a Carousel of Progress with all 4 scenes (I believe that was how much time periods were shown...it's been a while). I can just imagine playing "It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" while admiring the piece. Also a Thunder Mountain piece as well a Nostalgia Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland would be cool.
                                        If they did COP, I'd love for the design to be "round" inside with a scene insert that spins within the piece so you can rotate between the scenes without having to replace each one. A guy can dream...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X