Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

Share your Duffy Photos

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Share your Duffy Photos

Say hello to our new friend.... Bearemy!

I love the storyline and captions. Cute name!

Comment

OMGoshness, Aimster!:love: I love Duffy's and Shellie's outfits here, too! And the peek at your collection shelf is a great bonus!

The BAB armoires are a little plasticky and branded for my taste. The Meijer one looks like real wood and has a more sophisticated, classic feel to me. But it sounds like it may be sized more for slimmer dolls' clothes than wider bears' clothes, too…:unsure:

Comment

On the American girl website, they sell a massive wooden doll armoire for $349. It's really nice and it comes with a shoe bag to hang on one of the doors, shelves, and some fabric cubes for the clothes. I didn't take note of the link, but it's under the furniture tab. It's not something I am buying anytime soon, no space and none of my real furniture cost that much lol. It would be nice to keep all of the BAB and Snoopy doll clothes in one place though.

Comment

Originally posted by dazyhill View Post
          On the American girl website, they sell a massive wooden doll armoire for $349. It's really nice and it comes with a shoe bag to hang on one of the doors, shelves, and some fabric cubes for the clothes. I didn't take note of the link, but it's under the furniture tab. It's not something I am buying anytime soon, no space and none of my real furniture cost that much lol. It would be nice to keep all of the BAB and Snoopy doll clothes in one place though.
          I was on the American Girl website recently also even though I heard the clothes are too narrow for the Disney bears (that makes sense). I wanted to see what accessories they have. I love the banana seat bike but OMG, $100 for a bike for a doll? I don't care "if the wheels really turn". Or how about $349 for a car wash set? Makes me feel alot better accessorizing Duffy and Shellie May PLUS would an American Girl doll bring me joy like Shellie May or be the doll of happiness and luck like Duffy? I don't THINK so! )

Not bashing American Girl dolls, just sayin' :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by JillT View Post
            I was on the American Girl website recently also even though I heard the clothes are too narrow for the Disney bears (that makes sense). I wanted to see what accessories they have. I love the banana seat bike but OMG, $100 for a bike for a doll? I don't care "if the wheels really turn". Or how about $349 for a car wash set? Makes me feel alot better accessorizing Duffy and Shellie May PLUS would an American Girl doll bring me joy like Shellie May or be the doll of happiness and luck like Duffy? I don't THINK so! )

Not bashing American Girl dolls, just sayin' :lol:
            American Girl is what convinces me that Disney COULD sell Duffy items as a quality, luxury line. (Honestly, a lot of the moms get as excited about the American Girl items as the kids...or even more so. I have no children but I have my childhood doll and a few more I acquired.)

As to if they could make Duffy a quality, luxury, gender-neutral line in America, I don't know.

Some American Girl clothes fit the 12" US or even the Smiling Spring Voyage bears. The Duffys' arms are a bit shorter (and I think chunkier), and both the 12" Duffy and ESPECIALLY the Spring Voyage bears are shorter in the trunk/legs.

12" US Duffy with outfit I sewed for an American Girl (sash and hat were for Duffy though)

12" US Duffy in Addy dress

With some sort of pants (I think they're pajama pants?)--you can see how they're rather bunched up at the leg. Shorts are a better fit.

In common American Girl jeans (not the most comfortable; poor Duffy!) and hoodie

Smiling Shellie May in same hoodie, and with shorts handmade for American Girl

Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

American Girl is what convinces me that Disney COULD sell Duffy items as a quality, luxury line. (Honestly, a lot of the moms get as excited about the American Girl items as the kids...or even more so. I have no children but I have my childhood doll and a few more I acquired.)

It's proof if Disney looked at this thread that there are plenty of adults, both men and women, who love Duffy and Shellie May and are on the constant hunt for more clothes and accessories.

By the way, speaking of customizing, have you (or anyone on this thread) sewn a Shellie May hand puppet into a plushie? I'd love to get Shellie May a sister but there is nothing smaller than 17" other than a pre-dressed Smiling Sweet Shellie May from spring voyage 2012 (I have her, yay). I would like something that I can dress. Since the hand puppet has legs instead of just being cut off where you put your arm in, I'm thinking it's a possibility but a seamstress I am not. I kind of just "wing it" with a needle and thread and don't own a sewing machine.

Comment

Jill, you can definitely remove Smiling Shellie May's shirt with no difficulty--just clip a couple threads, if I recall correctly, and then you do kind of have to squish it off of her, but it was fine. The bow comes off fine too...getting it back ON might be a challenge, but someday I'll sew it to some elastic so I can. :shy: I assume 2013 Smiling Spring Voyage Shellie May will be the same, since the outfit's design is similar.

Anyway, I love her SO much more after I redressed her...and she was already rather lovable.

I know there is a Duffy fan site with a ton of clothing patterns that, if Google's translation was accurate, gave instructions on how to size for the puppet. So I imagine you don't NEED to sew the puppet up to make her clothe-able, either.

I haven't seen the puppet but my GUESS would be that she'd be kind of squished if you just sewed up the bottom...I would THINK you'd have to cut a round or D-shaped piece of fabric to sew onto the part where the hand goes, so she'd be 3-D at the bottom. (Then stuff her and sew up the spot where you put in the stuffing.) Finding fabric that matched her fur perfectly would be difficult (and probably extremely pricey, if you cut up some Shellie May merchandise to get the fur!). But you could always acquire/make some bloomers to go on top so the off-spot didn't show.
                Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Comment

I haven't seen the puppet but my GUESS would be that she'd be kind of squished if you just sewed up the bottom...I would THINK you'd have to cut a round or D-shaped piece of fabric to sew onto the part where the hand goes, so she'd be 3-D at the bottom. (Then stuff her and sew up the spot where you put in the stuffing.) Finding fabric that matched her fur perfectly would be difficult (and probably extremely pricey, if you cut up some Shellie May merchandise to get the fur!). But you could always acquire/make some bloomers to go on top so the off-spot didn't show

I was going to stuff the puppet, not just sew it closed. I have some little 8" teddy bear clothes already. I guess I got a little ahead of myself. I love the smiling Sweet Shellie May but I really only want one with that expression for now. Thanks for your advice. I might attempt it.

Comment

Right, I know you'd stuff the puppet, but I ASSUME the puppet has an open spot at the bottom that is meant to be filled by a hand. If you just sewed that closed straight across, it might give Shellie May a flat, wide appearance at the bottom, since the puppet was designed to have that space rounded off. And she'd probably have a lot of trouble sitting, since her bottom would be a straight line! (when stuffed, that straight line would be rounded but I'm not sure if that would be enough to make her sit right; I think she'd be wobbly because her backside wouldn't have enough volume to it...but I haven't seen the puppets)

But if you sewed on a circle or D shaped piece of fabric around the edges at the bottom, to fill that space (and then stuffed her), she'd probably be more properly proportioned.

Comment

It should make for an interesting, educational project, that's for sure! :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Eeee-va View Post

As to if they could make Duffy a quality, luxury, gender-neutral line in America, I don't know.

Some American Girl clothes fit the 12" US or even the Smiling Spring Voyage bears. The Duffys' arms are a bit shorter (and I think chunkier), and both the 12" Duffy and ESPECIALLY the Spring Voyage bears are shorter in the trunk/legs.

12" US Duffy with outfit I sewed for an American Girl (sash and hat were for Duffy though)

12" US Duffy in Addy dress

With some sort of pants (I think they're pajama pants?)--you can see how they're rather bunched up at the leg. Shorts are a better fit.

In common American Girl jeans (not the most comfortable; poor Duffy!) and hoodie

Smiling Shellie May in same hoodie, and with shorts handmade for American Girl

My daughter's American girl dolls and Duffy share clothes all the time! (Saves me from sewing two different outfits). I had to look twice at your pictures-we have the pink jacket too LOL

Comment

Shellie May is still too shy to leave her new cozy home in TN (remember, she was shipped from Ohio curled tightly into a shoe box L), but I went to Build-A-Bear to get my first pawsport stamp.

Upon looking at some of the bows, I was concerned that the rubber band might damage her ear. The Build-A-Bear employee showed me how to put it on one of their bears which prompted me to explain it was for Shellie May, the Disney bear, you know, Duffy’s friend. The clerk humored me even though I’m sure she had no clue what I was talking about so I explained that Shellie’s fur is in little tufts instead of uniform and her ears are more delicate and thinner. The clerk said, “oh, well, if you’re concerned, you can have some of THESE for free,” leading me behind the cash register, to a shelf with several different colored bows in buckets. I already had some items to purchase so I asked if it would be too piggish if I took 3 of some colors in case one broke. She said, “no, help yourself. You can have as many of those as you want. Really, it’s fine,” with a smile. I thanked her.

When I brought them home and showed Shellie May she was so happy! “All those for ME?” she said? She was thrilled and can’t decide which color is her favorite! It kept her out of mischief for several hours! Duffy, meanwhile, was hibernating.

I'm beginning to think all he does is sleep!

Click image for larger version

Name:	085 - Oh, wow, all those bows are for me, Shellie May said (427x640).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	7348168Click image for larger version

Name:	086 - I put two in her hair (640x427).jpg
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	7348169Click image for larger version

Name:	087 - Shellie May playing with the bows that the nice lady at Build A Bear gave me for her (640x.jpg
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	7348170Click image for larger version

Name:	088 - Close-up of Shellie May playing with the bows (640x427).jpg
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	7348171Click image for larger version

Name:	089 - She can't decide which color is her favorite (426x640).jpg
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	7348172Click image for larger version

Name:	084 - Look at the cute heart sequin sewn on her leggings (427x640) (427x640).jpg
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	7348173

Comment

With the BAB bows, a trick I did was, snip off the elastic, take a small safety pin and slide into the back of the bow's knot, then pin the bow to Shellie's ear. It's a little tricky but it can be done. Shellie's ears are much larger than BAB animal ears, so I now go with the "alligator clip" bows you can find at most stores that sell hair accessories. I just don't like squishing her ears unless it's to put them under one of the couple hats she has (and then it's just folding them back against her head).

Comment

With the BAB bows, a trick I did was, snip off the elastic, take a small safety pin and slide into the back of the bow's knot, then pin the bow to Shellie's ear. It's a little tricky but it can be done. Shellie's ears are much larger than BAB animal ears, so I now go with the "alligator clip" bows you can find at most stores that sell hair accessories. I just don't like squishing her ears unless it's to put them under one of the couple hats she has (and then it's just folding them back against her head).

Good idea. Thanks for the tip. These actually fit her okay, because they're simple and have a thinner rubber band and um, yes, I found myself wandering down the craft aisle at Walmart and they had hair accessories for babies (not sure why those would be in the craft half-aisle).

Comment

Another good place to look is Claire's and The Icing at the mall. They have lots of bows in all sorts of colors, sizes and variations.

Comment

I agree. And I think Duffy has broader appeal, by virtue of a more gender-neutral concept and Disney pedigree. If Hasbro can accidentally produce a concept that appears to cross age and gender barriers (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic), surely Disney can intentionally do so.

The Disney Bear's success in 2004 was a happy accident, but not a shocking surprise. Everything with Duffy since 2005 has been meticulously crafted and is very intentional. The problem with Disney so far is that the only intentions I can make out are to genericize the story and specific character/location spirit, lower production quality, cheapen the brand, and flood the market, effectively ruining Duffy's image and reputation. I'm not in favor of any of these, and I am DEEPLY opposed to what I feel is the above-mentioned inevitable outcome of this approach.

American Girl items are too pricey for me, generally, because that's not my "thing." But I can immediately understand the quality and why someone who likes it would buy it. In contrast, Duffy is totally my thing, yet I can't understand why anyone would purchase the Mother's/Father's Day shirts from last year, most of the 12" bears, nor that Easter chicken. In these cases, I strongly feel it is not just a matter of "personal taste." Those products, to my eye, demonstrate an apparent lack of both effort and artistic integrity. What's worse, it seems so blatant that I find it insulting to the fans the items were "created" for.

It's proof if Disney looked at this thread that there are plenty of adults, both men and women, who love Duffy and Shellie May and are on the constant hunt for more clothes and accessories…
                                  If Monty Maldovan (or his assistant/staff) isn't reading these boards every day, something is very wrong. You know, I can't thank Gurgi enough for turning my attention to MLP:FIM. I have no intention of becoming a "brony" myself; Duffy is enough! I won't collect the dolls or go to conventions, but I will definitely watch more episodes of the show because what I've seen impressed me.

More impressive even than the show itself, though, is the way Hasbro and the show's creative team actively seek opportunities to engage with adult fans and respond positively to feedback. And even as they do these things, they make no secret that the show is still designed primarily for young girls, while occasionally adding layers that equally amuse adult fans as little in-jokes. These marketers, show runners and voice actors found out where fans were meeting, made accounts, and went there. They wanted the conversation, even though these people were and are not and will never be their primary audience. They care about what they're doing, and I imagine it feels pretty good to have adults articulate the merits of your kids' show. They are proud of their work and it shows.

…I know there is a Duffy fan site with a ton of clothing patterns that, if Google's translation was accurate, gave instructions on how to size for the puppet...
                                  Um, yeah, that LINK!!!

It should make for an interesting, educational project, that's for sure! :lol:
                                  As Eeee-va said, I think the hardest part will be finding plush fabric in exactly the same pile and hue as the puppet's fur. If you can find that, or accept that she'll just have a mismatched "baboon bottom," the stitching and stuffing itself shouldn't be too tough. I think it'd be easier to do something like that by hand anyway, and the plush pile should completely hide your stitches, as long as you're careful not to see the plush under your stitch!

Comment

Looks like the old Sewing Thread is locked, or I would've posted this there.

(Cotoro.net)

I haven't tried out the patterns (I have an ambitious project planned with a deadline of about...3 weeks... and frankly, I am scared, since I'll be modifying existing patterns...so I'm kind of procrastinating).

is the page that gives the scaling. The Google Translate doesn't quite make sense to me but it sounds like if you're sewing for a puppet, the size might be 70%--actually, I can't figure that out at all, so ignore that number--of if you were using a pattern for the S (17") Duffy? (and then SS--Smiling Spring Voyage bears, I believe--is 75%) It does translate an item as "porch" which I guess would be "pouch," which I'd guess is the bears you can put coins/etc. in. Which I have seen a zipper/pouch Shellie May dressed, I believe, and she was cute. )

I THINK the site mentions that certain proportions are different in some of the bears (I know the legs in particular on the SS bears are VERY short!). But I don't remember for sure if it says that. It does note that Shellie May is slimmer than Duffy (except I believe the magnet bears are identical, or at least, mine seem to be).
                                    Last edited by Eeee-va; 02-24-2013, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Wait-there is a Duffy sewing thread? Gotta go look at that

Comment

Thanks, Eeee-va!^^ These people are TALENTED!

Comment

Just a Duffy photo I want to share:

This is something I worked on recently.

A Disney Dollar concept piece. We've seen various characters depicted on the notes, but never the recently introduced characters. In this case, Duffy.

What do you guys think?

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
                                          Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
                                          :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

Working...
                                          X