Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Share your Duffy Photos

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanted to go to Litlte Tokyo! I had been probably 10-15 years ago and it was so much fun, and I also loved Japantown in San Francisco. So I assumed Little Tokyo would be wonderful.

Almost nothing was open when we arrived!

But the scenery was nice. Well, kind of. OK, not really. There were people begging for money and we passed an area that from the smell, my mom whispered that she thinks they had cats there. Given how hard restrooms are to come by in the area (a problem we faced later), I do not think it was cats. (It was NOTHING like ANYTHING I saw in Tokyo, by the way. The closest would be under the bridge by the train station where we happened to see one homeless person, but I don't remember that being dirty.)

The grocery store was very nice, though.

I really wanted a boba drink (aka bubble tea) and we ended up crossing the street to get one.

The lid was ill-fitting, but it was a pretty good drink. (I was also able to pick up a Pocari Sweat sports drink for another friend who had always wanted to try one.)

"There may not be restrooms, but at least there are a few places to sit."

My friend got treated poorly in several shops (she's so unlucky!). One shopkeep did think Shellie May was adorable, but she thought she was a sheep!

The Sanrio store did have Hello Kitty pressed pennies, so that was nice for me.

So yeah, we did not really enjoy Little Tokyo. We weren't sure what else to do, but my best friend had always wanted to see/get her picture taken by the office building from Remington Steele, and we had nothing better to do, so one exorbitant parking fee later....

"Yay?"

Traffic was GHASTLY going back to our room. We ended up eating at a Panera Bread where I got a decent but overpriced sandwich and my mom got a salad that she enjoyed quite a bit until she found a hair near the bottom. Kind of capped off our day.

"At least sunset from our room was pretty!"

This was one of those vacations that I was almost ready to just go home, which is good because we headed back the next day. But we still had a little fun left.

Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

• Hi, Eeee-va, that shrimp breading looks like tempura instead of the crumbly breading, and I love grilled vegetables.

Lovely view from your room.

Downtown Nashville has areas that smell like pee, also, and not from cats! EW!

Comment

• Steam is having their summer sale and it's a good one! We got 11 games for $14.31 but as it turns out we only liked 6 of them. That's still a good deal, though. Then Duffy just went online because the sale is running through July 5 and he saw that he can get digital stickers for completing quests!

"Uh, I guess I like the truck," said Duffy of the selection he saw when he opened his sticker pack.

"Hey, Bearami, come see if you get anything better."

"Nope, we'll just stick to playing the real video games and not doing these quests," said Bearami, as he convinced me to buy another bundle of 9 games for $3.99.

Comment

• Well, that is the end of that (momism). My sister and I adopted some of our parents' phrases.

Apparently, Photobucket will no longer allow me to copy and paste my images on a 3rd party site like this unless I upgrade to a Plus 500 plan. I'm like hmm, what is that? How much does that cost? Okay, I'll bite. So I followed the link and guess how much they want?

$399 per year! Yes, that is almost four hundred dollars; it is not a mistake where I forgot the decimal place.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm not on facebook by the way.

Comment

• How infuriating about Photobucket! Not cool at all. I'd almost call it extortion!

I use Google Photos and Blogger together to get photos here. But it is a bit of a pain to get the photos up here from there. Basically, I make posts on Blogger and then just copy them over here, tweak the formatting a bit, and they work. (Annoying!) If you think you want to try it, I'll try to figure out how. Or you could just post adventures on Blogger and link here....
            Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Comment

• Hi, Eeee-va, for some reason I had some photos of da bears on google photos so that must have not worked for me. Yeah, Photobucket got pretty much overrun by ads that would keep popping up to the point that it was barely functional (close one, another pops up, even though I have protection). I'll have to hunt around for another solution. I can't upload them directly from here because no matter how small I reformat them, they're still over the tiny allowance for file size.

Comment

• Let's see if this works.

Comment

• nope

Comment

• DING DING DING we have a winner! Just right click and copy the image from the postimage website.

we'll see how long THAT works. Unfortunately, photobucket just like you said, Eeee-va, decided to unexpectedly extort me and none of my pictures will show up anymore so hopefully everyone already read what they wanted LOL.

But for now, I can do it this way.

Comment

• Here y'all go:

Hopefully everyone else can see them.

Comment

• I can! Yay!

Comment

• Today Frothy Monkey, a coffee, sandwich, liquor, breakfast, lunch, and dinner "hip hangout" had a donut muffin. Duffy loves donuts and so does my sister so I brought one home for him to taste. Of course, I couldn't leave Shellie May out (I love da bears equally), so I got her a green tea creme frappacino from Starbucks with extra creme, minus the classic sweetener.

Shellie May was already halfway through her drink, slurping appreciatively, by the time Duffy unwrapped and tasted his.

"They made a mistake. This is cinnamon on top like a thin glaze and it tastes like an apple muffin minus the apple pieces, just like apple juice was in the batter," he said. He liked it but he said I need to go back and try again! LOL!

Then Duffy wanted to try Shellie May's "martian drink" (that's what he calls it) and so since da bears have a policy of share and share alike, they switched.

JillT

Comment

• Oh, how funny about the donut muffin!

Finally, I'll post our last day in California!

There was a little rooftop place where you could see the ocean, too.

We dropped my mom off at a quilting (?) store and just a mile or so away was a strip mall with a Japanese used book store AND a Japanese grocery store! Both of these places were much nicer than anything we saw in Little Tokyo (except the grocery store in Little Tokyo was nice).

File photos taken at home months later, but look what I found!

This is The Silver Chair, my favorite book in the Chronicles of Narnia, in a slipcase and in Japanese!

And then I wanted something that I might have some chance of being able to read, so I got this cute little kids' book. They did have some Disney books, but either because the store is not that far from Disneyland, or just because Disney, they were pricier, and I didn't see any I needed.

We got heading to home a bit later than I meant to, but we did manage to stop at TKB Bakery in Indio. They brag about being the 4th rated restaurant in the nation on Yelp.com. They really do have probably the best sandwich I've ever had. But they are huge! My friend and I should have shared one. Even with Shellie May to help me eat this one, it was way too much food...

And that was the end of our trip to California! I need to find somewhere else to go now, and probably bring Duffy too. Too bad it's roughly a million degrees here right now...
                            Last edited by Eeee-va; 07-10-2017, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• Eeee-va, my bears said you have good taste in food. That sandwich IS huge!

Do you read Japanese? I know a few words verbally because my Dad was born in 1926 and got drafted when he was 18 but he went to Europe, the war ended, and then he ended up in Japan for cleanup duty. He learned some Japanese and taught it to me (my parents had me and my sister later in life; I'm 50 now and my parents are both deceased), but I don't read any of the kanji.

JillT

Comment

• Oh, wow, JillT, that's really neat! Sugoi desu! I read a LITTLE Japanese (I'm OK at katakana, which is used to spell English words and pretty bad at hiragana) and can recognize a few kanji. I'd probably do better with a book that has a few kanji characters because it doesn't help to sound out a word if you don't know what the word means! I took a bunch of online lessons through Mango through my library and those were really great. When I visited Tokyo Disney Resort, I even used some of what I learned! Though mostly I relied on pantomime.
                                Last edited by Eeee-va; 07-11-2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X