New Duffy Merchandise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Duffy Merchandise

The TDS costume is agreeably better, but the US one isn't that bad. Just needs pants and you can get a pair of black pants at BAB for $6 and you can get some black boots for $7. So yea that adds more to the overall cost (almost doubles it really), but you can use the pants & boots for other outfits, so it's a good investment overall.

Comment

Yes, that's the one I was talking about...which, like I said, I have and know the details off as my Duffy has been wearing it since I got it that year. It was one of the three costumes I got when I went to Tokyo Disney for the first time. I still think the buttons are nice though and that both are very similar in style.

Not to mention it's not essentially a bad thing there's no pants--it means you could try on other pairs, rather than the pants that are attached to the shirt in the Tokyo Disney Sea outfit.

I think the main thing with the US release is it looks more like a Pirate Captain than the TDS one does.

Comment

Originally posted by Wondering View Post
        Yes, that's the one I was talking about...which, like I said, I have and know the details off as my Duffy has been wearing it since I got it that year. It was one of the three costumes I got when I went to Tokyo Disney for the first time. I still think the buttons are nice though and that both are very similar in style.

Not to mention it's not essentially a bad thing there's no pants--it means you could try on other pairs, rather than the pants that are attached to the shirt in the Tokyo Disney Sea outfit.

I think the main thing with the US release is it looks more like a Pirate Captain than the TDS one does.
        I didn't realize you had the costume; I thought you said you saw photos of it on eBay. I've only seen it in photos, so I never noticed the gold buttons. I also didn't know that the shirt and pants are one piece. I can't imagine TDS ever releasing a costume like that now.

I guess even the TDS quality standard has evolved over time, and I hope it will continue to do so. Perhaps in the US they are trying to slowly increase expectations, rather than knock our socks off right from the start. I don't see "very similar in style," but I guess you're right about the US one looking more like a captain, unless you're thinking of Captain Jack Sparrow, which the Japanese team clearly was. I wish I had the TDS release and the hat from the US; that would be the ultimate Duffy pirate! I mean, you'd have to do a little alteration to the hat to shape it more like Sparrow's, but the elements are all there. That would have been a smart re-release to go with the film here in Japan; TDS needs to release something new for Duffy so he can start making money for them...

Originally posted by aimster View Post
        The TDS costume is agreeably better, but the US one isn't that bad...
        I never said it was bad; I said I want to want it. It just is clearly not the best creativity, quality or value that the Walt Disney Company can offer. It is not their best artistic work and it is not representative of the ethos of the Disney legacy. In that sense, it is disappointing. What it says to me is that they don't love Duffy as much as I do and they're just pimping him out for money with no integrity or commitment. It also suggests that since this is "good enough" for the fans, there is still some level of the people in the company seeing the fans of the company as sheep to be easily herded. In this sense, it is distasteful. I want to look at Duffy releases and see a company of proud artists trying to impress me. I didn't see it with TDS releases last Halloween either, so I didn't buy anything.
        Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 05-15-2011, 07:55 PM.

Comment

I meant I saw another photo of the US Pirate outfit on Ebay. ^^;

Comment

Originally posted by updebrooke View Post
            It was actually in a store that I didn't expect. It's the little shop at the International Gateway going towards the resorts (Beach Club, Boardwalk). They didn't have a lot of them, just a few. I don't know if this is because they didn't get a lot in yet or if all those ebayers are buying like a thousand of them.
            That is really odd because the computer system shows that WDW does not have these costumes yet. That store usually sells the sailor and baseball outfit but no other costumes, it is not listed as one of the stores that will carry those outfits either.

Comment

I don't know! That is where I saw them unles I'm seeing things. Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me. I have seen things in that store where I haven't seen them in other places though.

Comment

I'm shocked to hear DCA has something before WDW. that brings a huge smile to my face. WDC always for gets the park how started it all.

Anyhow, picked up the pirate costume yesterday, along with BaB black pants. He's so cute in this costume.

For those who might be looking for grey pants/shorts for the UnivBEARsity school uniform BaB on the Build a Dino section has grey cargo I think they are shorts. It comes in a set witha Dino tshirt. The Build a Dino section at DtD store is up stairs.
                Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
                Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
                :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

• Re: Christmas and Valentine Duffy on Sale!

FYI - The Character Premiere store at the Premium Outlet Stores - Vineland near DTD has the Christmas and Valetine Duffy bears on sale for $18.
                  Mike L
                  Premier Annual Passport
                  D23 Charter Member

'09 - D23 Expo, Princess & the Frog preview, Magic & Merriment Weekend
                  '10 - 1st Anniversary Party, Roy Disney Tribute, Pollyanna screening, Toy Story Marathon, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Dateline Disneyland 1955, Secretariat preview, Destination D, Zorro screening, Tangled preview
                  '11 - Love is Magical, 2nd Anniversary Mixer, Absent Minded Professor screening, Destination D, Studio Tour, Sci-Fi Academy, D23 Expo (premier), Babes in Toyland screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
                  '12 - Newsies screening, Journey to Marceline tour, Sister Act screening, Brave preview, Brave artists meet/greet/screening, Treasures Exhibit - Reagan Library preview, Timothy Green premiere, Destination D (diamond), Treasure Island screening, Magic & Merriment Weekend
                  '13 - El Capitan Peter Pan Panel & Screening, Disney Video Game Unveiling, Fanniversary, OZ preview, Son of Flubber screening, Summer Magic screening, Tiki Room 50th anniversary, D23 Expo (sorcerer), Sword in the Stone screening, Hocus Pocus screening, Frozen preview, 20,000 Leagues screening
                  '14 - Pirate Fairy screening, Rebel Rendezvous, Three Musketeers screening, Mr. Toad screening, Snow White screening, Big Hero 6 preview, Little Mermaid screening, Destination D
                  '15 - D23 Expo, Pinocchio screening,

Comment

^ I'll be at that outlet mall on Sunday. Maybe I'll pick up a Christmas one to give as a gift if they're still there.

Comment

Last edited by FI183; 05-25-2011, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I forgot about the birthday one! I'll need to get him (and the WDW 40th) too. Crap I'm going to spend a small fortune in Duffy stuff this weekend! :lol:

Comment

I got home a little while ago from DTD in Orlando and guess what? The wrislet pouches and plush magnets are now available at Once Upon a Toy and World of Disney. Didn't see the keychains. Oh and I got the ONLY pirate costume at Once Upon a Toy... didn't see it at World of Disney.

Comment

You can now buy Duffy merchandise in Disneyland park...good one DLR

Comment

Oh that is sad that they didn't leave Duffy in DCA.

I wonder if with all the DCA construction and the possibility of the two front of the park stores be down for the re-constuction if that is why Duffy ended up at DL? Im not a fan of it either way, because really Duffy fans will walk to the PP to get his latest items. So there is no need for him to be other places. Its just so sad.

Comment

I was at Epcot today and I noticed that they took out the Duffy photo spots. They don't have them anymore. I wonder what this means for Duffy. Also, I asked about the popcorn buckets and they told me that Disney is not selling them at this time. I guess he's not as popular as Disney hoped he would be. I love the mug though, I just hope they have the popcorn buckets. They are sooo cute!

Comment

I noticed that a couple a weeks ago as well, made me upset! They always do everything half a$$

We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
                                  Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Comment

I had a feeling this would happen. Deep down I knew Duffy's success in Japan would not mirror in the US. Stupid Americans don't "get it" and just think of him as a Build-A-Bear rip-off for the most part because they can't associate him with anything (film, cartoon shorts, etc.). He's just there to be a cash cow for Disney.

The crazy thing is he ALWAYS gets attention when I bring him to Busch Gardens and some of the employees recognize who he is right off the bat. I've even had a few Japanese tourists come over and point and exclaim "DUFFY!" when they see him sticking out of my bag or I'm posing him for photos.

Comment

That makes me super depressed. I was really looking forward to the photo spots when I go this November :/

Comment

Yet another thing Disney will let fail. I don't know about WDW, SLR budget umber dip into for other projects, like movies and sometimes even WDW. So I'm not surprised they are cutting back on Duffy. Oh well we love him and have a place to chat about him to others who love him so all is good. Duffy will always go with me to the parks. Heck he went to San Diego this weekend. lol

Comment

Duffy...the "Rodney Dangerfield" of Disney characters...at least in the US, that is.
                                          Meow

Comment

Working...
                                          X