Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm absolutely horrified about whoever puncturing the bows with the security tag...that's ridiculous! And the insistence on the October 13th is also ludicrous. I didn't think Disney could do worse than my expectations with their release of Shellie May, but it looks like I was wrong.

So the bears aren't off-model? I know you have issues with the photos but I'd love to see if you get them to work. I'm curious to see them in person...if she's not delightful I probably will need to not buy one at Disneyland.

Obviously it's not the same thing, but I know my Smiling Shellie May from Tokyo DisneySea from 2012 (the first year of release) is noticeably different from the 2014 (last year of release) one. Granted, probably most of the differences are because the 2012 model was rather well-loved by 2014 (certainly that accounts for differences in color and fur texture) and her face shape has probably been altered by being squished out of her Spring Voyage top and possibly by my homemade bows. But there are still differences.

2014 Smiling Shellie May on the left in her "meet" outfit; 2012 Smiling Shellie May on the right in a magenta Hello Kitty happi coat and bloomers made by Aimster's aunt

And here was 2012 Shellie May when she was new. She's not nearly as different as she is now, but I still think the difference is noticeable, and I'm not all that good at seeing subtle differences...

Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

• Does anyone know if the rain poncho or sailor outfits are still available at DL or WDW or have the sku numbers so I can check with the mail order? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by simbeau1 View Post
        Does anyone know if the rain poncho or sailor outfits are still available at DL or WDW or have the sku numbers so I can check with the mail order? Thanks
        I may have a poncho with the SKU still attached I will look. I have not seen the sailor set recently-but my suggestion is is you are going to WDW check Mouse Gears- they seem to have what used to be at the Duffy shop.

Comment

• Just read a report that Shellie may is available right now at the Disneystore at the airport. REALLLY Disney?

Comment

• Was Duffy previously sold at the Orlando airport, outside of the Disney Store release? I flew in there in January 2014--after he had been pulled out of the Disney Stores nationwide--and they had a large Duffy sign outside the Disney Store. But my friend was waiting for me at the resort so I was in a hurry and didn't go in (!). Then I traveled with her within Florida so I did not fly out of Orlando. So I never checked...

(That doesn't mean I like the idea of ShellieMay being sold there, but if Duffy was already there then it at least makes sense. Though if they pulled Duffy to replace with ShellieMay...ugh...)
            Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Comment

• To add insult to injury, I just pulled out the DisneyStore on my phone and searched toys-Duffy comes up under most popular!

Comment

• Eeee-va, I'll take some more photos and try PhotoBucket again this weekend with a different computer. Off-Model may be a good way to describe it. Her face is just not round, but more pointed. Thinking about it, I'd describe it as a copy of a copy...know what I mean? The bear from TDR is absolutely plumper, especially in her face.

And to add more fuel to the disaster that the release has been....apparently Shellie May and her accessories have been pulled *again* from the shelves in California. A Mice Chat member posted yesterday evening on the Facebook group asking if anyone had seen her in the Disneyland Resort. I posted what I told you all, that I was able to purchase her Wednesday morning. She thanked me and headed out. When she arrived, there was nothing on the shelves. Several managers told her that Shellie May had sold out AND had been released too early. There will be no stock replaced until the official release date of 10/20.

I am so baffled.

Comment

• So I got Duffy his new pj set and tried it on him only to find that the ear holes in the hat are way too small I realize the quality isn't that great but it would've been nice if they could cut the holes bigger for $30! The new Tinkerbell outfit for Shellie is cute on her but it really needed to come with some panties. My girl doesn't like her naked tail sticking out. I'm hoping the new Shellie plush will be cute when I head over on Tuesday.

Comment

• Originally posted by tink1223 View Post
                    So I got Duffy his new pj set and tried it on him only to find that the ear holes in the hat are way too small I realize the quality isn't that great but it would've been nice if they could cut the holes bigger for $30! The new Tinkerbell outfit for Shellie is cute on her but it really needed to come with some panties. My girl doesn't like her naked tail sticking out. I'm hoping the new Shellie plush will be cute when I head over on Tuesday.
                    Pictures?

Comment

• Having a hard time posting pics

Comment

• I've had no trouble using Picasa, then right-clicking on the image, copying the URL, and then posting it in between img brackets (so like {img}https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-948ANLMI3-U/VY8RJFSaOiI/AAAAAAAAoWE/1WxCrxUCDk8/s512-Ic42/P1140479.JPG{/img} except replace the { } with [ ])

Maybe that same kind of idea works for other image hosts?

(Oh, and Mercy, they pulled the items AGAIN? Seriously???? I'm not sure what Disney could do to make me more upset with this release if they tried. Odds of getting a 17" Shellie May at Disneyland continue to decrease. :P The ill-fitting costume tink1223 described is also a terrible sign, and yes, I feel like the 17" Shellie Mays, at least, should definitely have an option for underclothes. I still haven't made any for Smiling Shellie May (blushing face :P ) but she came without any bottoms and she's small...somehow it works for us. Would definitely do something different if she had a Tinkerbell-length skirt, though!)

Comment

• Yes, again. I literally just shook my head. I just don't understand their logic.

Ok, the two Shellie Mays...if the photo will work... Left, with the longer face is the one I just purchased for my friend in Anaheim, right is the one from Tokyo Disney Sea.

The one from Tokyo is just fuller and cuter!
                          Last edited by mercy; 10-22-2015, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• Thank you, Mercy! I'm not certain if I'd call the Disneyland version "off-model," but I am very bad at identifying differences between plush. (Yours is obviously much nicer, though I wonder if a "face massage," as I think a friend on Facebook called it, might help distribute Anaheim's Shellie May's stuffing a bit.)

To demonstrate my own definition of off-model, I'd call some of the keychain versions in Hong Kong indisputably off-model, like Duffy's weird smile, weirdly-placed nose, and widely-placed eyes here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hong-Kong-Di...cAAOSwQTVV8vdy To me, off-model is not just a natural variation (the Duffy meet-and-greet character looks different from the Duffy plush, but both are clearly Duffy). When I think "off-model" I think of when the plush doesn't even look like the character it's representing. I refuse to purchase anything I consider so far off as to be "off-model" and not even look like the character.

Since I see the big picture more than the details, my top frustration is the squished ears that comes from using 2 small loops around the ears instead of 1 around the back of the head. That might bring her into the realm of "off-model" and I feel like it makes her meet bow almost useless. I am sure I could juryrig a solution so it would go around the back of her head instead of her ears, but it's irritating (to say the least) that a consumer would have to make up a solution, when OLC created the bow in a better way....

OH! I'll bet the obnoxious two-loop system for the bows is to prevent a potential strangulation hazard. I just looked at my Sweet Duffy chef hat and I think there's a good chance I could get the elastic over my OWN head, so a child in theory could harm himself or herself with the longer, more attractive elastic loop. I assume it hasn't ever been a problem in Japan and might never be a problem here, but if it would be an actual danger to children, I can't say I disagree with the reasoning. But they should have figured out a better way to affix the bow, maybe with clips (?) like Gelatoni's beret. If Disney would have properly planned the Disney Parks release, they could have incorporated such a device in their very first Shellie May releases, so that all the Shellie May clothes would be compatible with the US Shellie May plush. Instead, Disney Parks Shellie Mays all get sore ears.

(Of course, clips would probably be considered a "choking hazard", though. Darn it. Maybe a Velcro strap that doesn't have so much stretch...? Except that might not hold as tight...)

Comment

• I have to agree, she's not off-model based on your example. And yikes, that link! She could probably use a face massage...it could also be the transportation in a packed box with other bears on a long shipping voyage. Hmm. She didn't strike me as not-Shellie May-like until I had her next to mine. Then I was struck by the variation.

The different regulations totally would explain the bow elastic. The bear from Anaheim also has a floppier bow, although that could be because I rescued one with the security tag bow impalent. She was hiding in the back and just peeking out when I rushed the shelf.

Comment

• Mercy, I'm relieved to see that your Disney Parks ShellieMay looks much better than I'd imagined. There were some Duffys stateside for a while that had a kind of "rat face," so I feared the worst. I'm honored to hear how much you love the Shellie I adopted for you, but I'm equally confident that your friend will love the one you selected. And surely, the fact that you could choose yourself is valuable.

In fact, every ShellieMay is unique, and I'd wager that except for shmushed ears, there probably are Shellies at TDS that look more like the one from Anaheim than the one from Tokyo. I really think that could just be down to my very careful selection process. I'd always choose the one on the right.

Don't get me wrong, though, Mercy. I'm not saying I'm a better selector than you…"better selector," hee hee!^^ I hear you; you're saying there were none on the shelf like the one on the right, and that may also be true, sadly.

In any case, it changes nothing about my feelings regarding the level of respect, investment, and commitment thus far displayed by Disney, but I am genuinely relieved that your friend should most likely love her ShellieMay just as much as if it came from Tokyo. Cos for your friend, the important point is really that she comes from you.^^
                                Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-18-2015, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• I truly think she's just smooshed in her own unique way, part of her (their) journey. And she is growing on me...which is both good and bad, because she's due to fly to New Jersey with me on the 30th, so she's not staying in California. Ha!

I'm going back out tomorrow for what will (hopefully) be the real release date - I've been tasked with selecting another bear for someone else. Hopefully they will be plentiful and full of their own character. Fingers crossed!

Comment

• Just for giggles, I tried searching Shellie May in the app. Nothing shows up not even the book.

Comment

• The Disneylifestylers girl just posted a pic of Shellie May pillow pet at Hollywood Studios and I think late last week she posted a picture of Shellie May at the Orlando airport store.

Comment

• So I'm at WDW now and looked at tons of Shelliemay plush. I noticed that they have different furs! One has longer soft fur and the other has rough nasty fur and feels like she's been loved on for awhile. It's very disappointing. Also they raised the price from $30 to $33 as well as the prices for the outfits

Comment

• Originally posted by tink1223 View Post
                                          So I'm at WDW now and looked at tons of Shelliemay plush. I noticed that they have different furs! One has longer soft fur and the other has rough nasty fur and feels like she's been loved on for awhile. It's very disappointing. Also they raised the price from $30 to $33 as well as the prices for the outfits
                                          What store are you in right now? I find a lot of Disney products have way different quality between the same item. Like the tsums or designer dolls so one REALLY has to search sometimes. May I ask the prices for the outfits? I bought Duffy the Pluto one in August for 22 dollars and I want the similar Marie one for Shellie May.

Comment

Working...
                                          X