• Show
Clear All

• The ShellieMay Tsum Tsum plush are now on sale:
    http://www.disneystore.com/duffy-the...omSearch=10002

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

• It looks like the Valentine's bears are 9", not 12". I'm excited to see a 9" ShellieMay at last! Though I'm still hoping Japan releases the SS-size bears so I can get an even cuter ShellieMay in a perfect scale to my Smiling Shellie May.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valentines-D...gAAOSwoydWkT0m

(I am assuming the bear's feet are not deformed but that Disney US just did a terrible job making shoes to fit her.)
      Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

• Was in the California parks over the holidays (to renew our passports, generally avoid that time period!) and stopped by "Treasures in Paradise" in Disney's California Adventure to check out what was new... Nothing Duffy/Shellie May at all. Not a single piece.

I assume that they have moved to another location...I hope.

Comment

• In early December I tried to find ShellieMay in DL's Emporium, with no luck. Was thinking to find one at Disneyland Park since I have Duffy from Epcot, but couldn't find her. (I am shy and didn't ask.) I'm sure she's around somewhere, and she was in Downtown Disney too.
          Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Comment

• Originally posted by mercy View Post
            Was in the California parks over the holidays (to renew our passports, generally avoid that time period!) and stopped by "Treasures in Paradise" in Disney's California Adventure to check out what was new... Nothing Duffy/Shellie May at all. Not a single piece.

I assume that they have moved to another location...I hope.
            I believe they moved Duffy and ShellieMay to the stores on the backside of Paradise Pier.
            It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

Comment

• Originally posted by Eeee-va View Post
              In early December I tried to find ShellieMay in DL's Emporium, with no luck. Was thinking to find one at Disneyland Park since I have Duffy from Epcot, but couldn't find her. (I am shy and didn't ask.) I'm sure she's around somewhere, and she was in Downtown Disney too.
              I picked up my ShellieMay a few days after she was released at Disneyland, at the Emporium, and I was just at Disneyland on Jan. 12 and they were still stocked in the same exact location. I'm sorry you were too shy to ask a Cast Member where she was, but that IS what they are there for, after all. If you go back again, look in the plush section of the Emporium around the pillow pets.
              It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

Comment

• Thanks, Ghosty4! I won't be at Disneyland Resort again anytime soon (I can never give a timeline because I always seem to get there earlier than I'd panned, but I'm guessing not until at least 2017). But as far as I could tell, ShellieMay was NOT by any of the pillow pets/plush at the Emporium when I happened to go in early December; I looked through the plush section twice.

It was a very hectic weekend with Candlelight going on. I saw they had Tourist ShellieMay at Downtown Disney that Friday but by Sunday she was all gone, and on Sunday I only saw about five 17" ShellieMay plushes! So while I might have missed her in the Emporium, I feel it's more likely that they were out of stock on Saturday, or at least they'd run out of what was on the shelves. They might have had some in the back somewhere if I'd asked...but my dream/plan was a ShellieMay that had been IN Disneyland Park. I really was not looking for a ShellieMay that was in Downtown Disney or in a box backstage somewhere at the Emporium. I honestly really didn't WANT one if she wasn't out on display. (Yeah, I'm weird, but I have a 17" Duffy from Epcot so I thought a 17" ShellieMay from DisneyLAND, not the Disneyland Resort, would be a great match. If she had come from a box in the back, then as far as the "story" in my mind, I'd feel like I might as well have ordered her online.)

So now I plan to get my ShellieMay at Tokyo DisneySea instead. I like the elastic on DisneySea's bow MUCH better anyway, and since I'll be there in person instead of buying online, the Japanese one may actually end up costing slightly LESS in USD than the American one would have. So it will work out fine for me. Duffy just has to wait a few extra months to get his matching-size friend.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghosty4 View Post

I believe they moved Duffy and ShellieMay to the stores on the backside of Paradise Pier.
                  Oh, I'll have to look when I'm at the park...thanks. We were just there for the Star Wars 5K, but didn't get a lot of park time in. I had to bolt just after the race for work, my Aunt checked Big Top Toys and D/SM weren't there.

She did find them at World of Disney, but I find it weird that they are scarce in the parks.

Comment

• i haven't been paying close attention this past january, but as far as the initial launch of shelliemay in the disneyland parks, things seemed a bit random and erratic. the first FIRST day they released her and then immediately pulled her off the shelves again, i paid $60 for one of the shelliemay 'pillow pet' dream friends that now retail for like $30ish. frankly she was one of my dream items and i am not sorry i pounced on her when i did. since then i have seen her in and out of stock in many stores in the land, but seem to see her (and duffy)!! most consistently at the WOD in downtown.

i don't dislike the funny newer bow design but love the japanese bow. there is a huge difference between the disneyparks and OLC versions of the actual plush bears (well the difference seems huge to me) and if i had to choose a favorite, japan would win. Eeee-va, its amazing that you are visiting TDS!!!!!! wow!!

Comment

• Ooooh. I re-read my post worry that I wasn't making much sense. I meant to say that ShellieMay seems to be in and out of stock at several locations in the CA parks (and prices sometimes change) but I find the bears stocked most consistently at the World of Disney store next to Starbucks in DTD (and even that store can run out of that special bear or outfit you came for)... And that the Japanese ShellieMay bears are more awesome than the ones found in the US.

Comment

• Sorry you didn't manage to get your Disneyland ShellieMay, Eeee-va, but I'm sure you'll be better off getting her at TDS anyway! Incidentally I was at DL the same time as you, and I did see 17" Shellies in the children's section of Disney Clothiers on Main Street...you know the spot where they have the little mountain of plush right in front of the cash registers.

Comment

• I've been looking for Shellie May at DL and DCA almost every time we've been in the parks since her release the first day. On the first day back in October, Disneyland had zero stock at any of the stores, DCA had very limited stock at Elias & Co. and Treasures hadn't even set up their displays for her when they opened that day. World of Disney was the only store that had all of the Shellie May's (12", 17" and pillow pets) and by far the most costumes. Since then, Disneyland has occasionally had her in stock at Clothiers but I've never seen her anywhere else there. CMs have told me that she's not a Disneyland character so they are not supposed to carry her and there was an agreement with Tokyo Disney to that effect (yeah, right). DCA took her out of Treasures when the Star Wars merchandise the last time I was there about 6 weeks ago and they moved her to a store back in Paradise Pier. Elias has barely anything--a few plushes but very little else--almost every time I've been in there. World of Disney has been the only store to keep SM in stock all this time and still has good selection.

Now for the good news: last week when we were at World of Disney, as we were checking on SM, we finally saw the Cinderella and the Prince costume set--which was featured in the Disney Blog last fall. They had several in stock; they're $50 for the two costumes and are really cute. SM's bow fits a bit tight around her head but the dress is very pretty. Duffy's prince costume is nice; at least the pants fit (after making do with BAB, it's a blessing).

After all the years that we tried so hard to have the US parks carry Shellie May, this has been one of the most disappointing experiences I've ever had with Disney. I don't understand why they didn't adequately stock the stores and promote her release, especially in October. If handled well, they could have made lots of $ over the holidays. Sadly, since they're barely carrying the merchandise, I'm afraid this is going to be short-lived in the U.S. parks.

Comment

• That is very very weird about ShellieMay being at different places (and not at all). I'm not exactly a casual Disneyland and Duffy fan and I'd just assumed that if she wasn't at the Emporium (or if I couldn't find her there) she probably wasn't around Disneyland anyway, aside from maybe one random shop that I didn't care to take the trouble to track down...

But the one display I did see of ShellieMay, she seemed to be selling very well, unless the CMs were just too busy to restock. If Disney had done a better job releasing her, I'd think they were maybe creating a (false?) scarcity to increase sales somehow. But given how disastrously haphazard the entire release was handled, if her sporadic placement WERE somehow increasing sales, I suspect that would be pure luck on Disney's part.

Comment

• These were posted on Hong Kong Main Street Gazette's Facebook page:

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
                              Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
                              :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

• The Valentine set is up on the Disney Store site. I saw it this morning and they have the Tsum Tsum of her back up as well. I looked the night before the Star Wars 5k for the Tsum Tsum of her and there was none. Was hoping so I wouldn't have to order and would save on shipping but oh well. I did see that costume set as well but daughter had wanted a Build A Bear for awhile now so we did that the next day when she meet up with me. So ShellieMay has been having fun with the Rapunzel bear and sharing outfits. LOL
                                A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

etsy.com/shop/FantasyFunTutus

Comment

• I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I saw the Cinderella/Charming combo costumes at WDW when I was on vacation there a few weeks ago. They are rather simple outfits .

Comment

• The merchandising is just baffling. I thought the October release shenanigans was bad, but now the random product placement is just annoying. Sigh. Now that my runDisney experiences have calmed down (first the Star Wars event, then the Disneyland registration), now I'm back in Duffy-mode. Aggravating. It's all so lackadaisical.

Eeee-va, picking her out in Tokyo will be extra special. I cannot tell you how different Duffy (and everything from Cape Cod to Shellie May) is there. It's a different experience.

Comment

• I'm so glad to hear you're ready to refocus, mercy! Me, too! I've got some fun stuff planned for this major anniversary year.

I feel most people in the US have no idea who Duffy really is or what the Duffy experience is actually about. Five years later, through half of Duffy's history, there's been no significant investment.

People in the US don't understand because they think they've been exposed to Duffy. Folks who've been on MiceChat since before the Duffeteer boards existed aren't posting around here as much lately. But those who remember will recall that among my greatest fears for "global Duffy" was an aggressively marketed subpar product that could corrupt the image of the character. I also feared that, backed by Disney, the "OneDuffy" agenda could become the prevailing narrative. Not only could it provide an inauthentic experience in its locales, but over time it could appear that authentic Cape Cod Duffy was the outlier. You know, because the "quirky" Japanese "love anything cute." That's totally sarcasm on my part, by the way. Duffy's success is clearly more significant than "Japanese like cute."

Recently I've been re-reading old posts, many from just before and after the US launch. Simultaneously I've been reflecting on the history of Tokyo DisneySEA, leading to the upcoming 15th Anniversary. This inspired me to look back at the US releases in terms of both execution and communication. This process has guided me to view the US releases as The Disney Bear 2.0 +With Costumes!+. That's fine. It is a Disney Bear and it does wear costumes. But that's not what makes Duffy feel like Duffy. A Duffy with no clothes can still be Duffy. A Disney Bear truly loved by a tender might be Duffy, but the tender would have to know what "Duffy" means. A Disney Bear who seems to have no personality, who seems to exist as nothing more than a corporate mascot, is NOT Duffy. It's not Mickey Mouse, either. At least in Tokyo.

The Disney Bear is a generic template Disney product, designed to cross-sell other fairly generic Disney products. Duffy is a bonafide Disney character, grounded in lived park experience and constantly renewed by carefully designed merchandise. Duffy goods are intentionally created to be loved so irresistably that Duffy merchandise eclipses all other categories by a significant margin. Simultaneously, The Oriental Land Company is both birthing a character and turning huge profits, both in ways unprecedented before. In the crowded Japanese character market, Duffy still feels immediately unique and clearly at the top. Would anyone say that about US Duffy, having no knowledge of Japan? I doubt it very much.

It should be noted that Mercy's reply below was to a very different post, now moved to its own thread:

http://discuss.micechat.com/forum/co...r-is-not-duffy

I'm not sure whether or not Mercy still agrees, but I imagine so. In any case, that discussion ought to move to the thread I've just linked. This topic seems to be mostly for merchandise announcement and retail outlet availability in the US. I didn't mean to veer us too far off that course.
                                      Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 02-01-2016, 11:39 PM.

Comment

• DuffyD is right, the Tokyo Resort is phenomenal. And TDS is my Disney Parks benchmark now. I see Duffy as a solely Tokyo-based entity. When I see Duffy and Shellie May in our Parks, it warms my heart but for me... They are Tokyo. The product here is a different thing, pure and simple.

As for why we never met up... I was on this board about a week after I returned in March 2011, DuffyD... So we hadn't "met" yet.

Comment

• I see, Mercy. Well, next time you come, be sure to tell me in advance!^^

Comment

Working...
                                          X