Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues

The MiceChat staff is listening to your PM's and the notes provided in the flagged posts. We will provide more information in a post that will be published no later than Sunday night, 6/23/19. The link will be provided here.
See more
See less

New Duffy Merchandise

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Duffy Merchandise

Originally posted by Sapphire-Light View Post
    But actually what is bugging me the most is a typo in "Los Feliz Five & Dime"

If they are using "feliz" it's singular, example "ella es feliz" (she's happy) , but when it's plural it should be "felicesces five & dime", since they are talking about plural, since "los" means "the" in plural.
    *facepalm* Surely they could have asked a Spanish speaker to proof-read that...
    AP holder since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by madoka View Post
      *facepalm* Surely they could have asked a Spanish speaker to proof-read that...
      True, it's strange mostly when there's many spanish speakers in cali, but it appears they just used babel fish :/
      sigpic

Comment

At my last job, we translated pretty much all our workshop presentations and brochures into Spanish and the translations were checked very carefully by one of our bilingual employees to make sure everything was translated correctly. There are several dialects of Spanish, so the way for ALL Spanish speakers to understand was to do it in the simplest form of the language, which was tougher than you'd think.

Comment

I don't know about that Duffy...I have a sneaking suspicion that he's a 12", but I hope I'm wrong.

Los Feliz is the name of a fancy neighborhood in Hollywood, and Wikipedia has this to say which would explain why the shop has that name:

Mickey MouseWalt Disney drew his first image of the now-legendary character in the garage of his uncle's house which was located on Kingswell Avenue between Vermont and Rodney. Disney's first animation studio was on Kingswell Avenue, just down the street from his uncle's house and east of Vermont (now a photocopy store). The second, larger studio (now a Gelson's supermarket) was located at the corner of Griffith Park Blvd and Hyperion Avenue, on the Silver Lake side of the Los Feliz-Silver Lake boundary.

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
            At my last job, we translated pretty much all our workshop presentations and brochures into Spanish and the translations were checked very carefully by one of our bilingual employees to make sure everything was translated correctly. There are several dialects of Spanish, so the way for ALL Spanish speakers to understand was to do it in the simplest form of the language, which was tougher than you'd think.

True, spanish it's complicated, it's almost like french were many words have different meanings depending in the situation.
            --------------------------------------

I wish they could have made a bit of effort on this event thing that was lazy :sleep: , finishing something plural wit a z it's a mistake,

Spanish words that end in z

Spanish words that end in the letter z have a different way to make a plural -- just drop the letter Z and add ces. Here are some examples:

una vez dos veces one time
            una luz dos luces light
            source Instruction on How To Make a Noun Into A Plural in Spanish

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 09:48 PM ----------

Originally posted by Diznygrl View Post
            I don't know about that Duffy...I have a sneaking suspicion that he's a 12", but I hope I'm wrong.

Los Feliz is the name of a fancy neighborhood in Hollywood, and Wikipedia has this to say which would explain why the shop has that name:

Mickey Mouse was "born" in Los Feliz—Walt Disney drew his first image of the now-legendary character in the garage of his uncle's house which was located on Kingswell Avenue between Vermont and Rodney. Disney's first animation studio was on Kingswell Avenue, just down the street from his uncle's house and east of Vermont (now a photocopy store). The second, larger studio (now a Gelson's supermarket) was located at the corner of Griffith Park Blvd and Hyperion Avenue, on the Silver Lake side of the Los Feliz-Silver Lake boundary.
            Neat! thanks for the info first time I see that.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eeee-va View Post
              ....Obviously it's not super-detailed or perfect, but I like the concept of a merchandise event based on one concept...it reminds me a tiny bit of TDS in that regard. And I think the hat is something different we've seen since maybe even the first wave--it's an outfit with no link to an existing franchise like Pixar films, pirates, etc. but linked to a specific place or concept (DCA/Route 66/travel)...Too bad the merchandise overall isn't as cute as the concept art...
              I like the unified merchandise concept, and I agree that it's cool to see a concept not tied to a franchise, except that this is obviously tied to Pixar's Cars (the only Pixar project I can't stand) and the opening of Cars Land this summer, so I think it is actually linked to a film, but at least it's based in the park event and the Cars characters are not mixed in with the concept art. I don't really think this is anything like TDS, though, because here Duffy's events are completely centered on Duffy and Cape Cod, running alongside yet independent from park events. Here, Duffy looks like an add-on to the park event instead, like just one part of a larger merchandise push, which I think is pretty clearly how Disney Parks sees him.And I couldn't agree more about being obviously lacking in detail or approaching perfection. It's become the standard for US Duffy to have a seamless pattern slapped onto a generic "armholes and neckhole" design, now throwing on a zipper cos they already had that hoodie.* It makes for a "more interesting" look than just a plain solid color, without requiriing accent details like buttons or pockets. And since the "pattern" is a seamless mess, it doesn't matter where the hems/seams are or how it's cut. Even in the design process, you just click "fill with pattern" once and ta-da, you got it!^^

*I thought the red was a zipper, but I see now that it's a red T-shirt under a buttonless(?) open-front shortsleeve shirt with a decent pointed collar. I still scorn the click-n-fill and I certainly wouldn't buy it, but it's significantly less horrible than I thought, and more in tune with its design era than I understood at first glance.^^

Above images from Duffy's Facebook Wall. SHOCKING! This one's not even anti-aliased...You'd think they'd have the original artwork and wouldn't need to cut and paste it anyway...Above image from Disney Parks Blog
              Especially if it was just gonna be another top, I would have liked to see something like this:
              It would especially impress me if Duffy's name was actually embroidered on the left breast and a multicolor design (or even cheap out and do only the "Route 66" with Mickey marks - even as a patch) was embroidered on the back. The very coolest thing would be if they set it up like Mouse ears and would do the custom embroidery for you, or even let you mix-n-match sleeves and shirtfronts and the patch on the back, coming back to pick up your custom item later. That would have blown me away, because it would show they were actually trying to impress me.^^ The fact that there is nothing "Route 66" in the design of the outfit, just a repeated road sign mish-mash scattered over a totally generic shape with a zipper is seriously disappointing when I think about how both a) cheap and b) easy it would have been to make a fashionable retro shirt like this with just a couple details like Duffy's name (even printed) and the back detail (even printed). You'd just have to want to. The idea is obvious if you think of Duffy as a fashionable character and not just a piece of merch.
              it's this time limited merch?I really like the retro hat, now I have images in my mind of Duffy and Shellie in outfits of the Micke's shorth the niftynineties. :yea:
              Looks an awful lot like Duffy's Spring Voyage hat to me, the shape anyway. Only the Tokyo one won't have a big park logo splashed across the front of it and will most likely be constructed from better materials.:unsure:
              Originally posted by aimster View Post
              Yes that's the exact same 12" Valentine Duffy as last year. My mom carefully clipped the costume off hers and dresses the bear in BAB stuff the rest of the year, but will put him back in his cupid outfit next month.
              I didn't know BAB could fit the 12" bears!
              Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-12-2012, 11:50 PM. Reason: Hey...that ain't no zipper!^^

Comment

I was at Epcot today and look what I found:

Comment

Most of DCA (including Los Feliz Five and Dime) is going to be themed to the 1920s and 1930s, which seems more appropriate for Mickey's ensemble to me, and there were Route 66 references in different areas of DCA prior to (the unfortunately-named) Cars Land. I don't recall if those references are staying or have been removed; I would guess the latter.

The poster art shows several attractions from Paradise Pier, plus Soarin' and Grizzly River Rapids. So I don't consider this event JUST Cars Land. Now, granted, many of the rides shown are character tie-ins of some sort, but I'm OK with that. The event itself appears to be a celebration of the redesigned DCA--Cars Land is a big part of that but it's definitely not the ONLY part. (Nor the part I'm most excited about...though I think Paradise Pier is still the best land, and that's already done. )

Anyway, so in a sense (again, minus the truly excellent planning and merchandise of TDS) it's more like the "Be Magical" anniversary event than a "Sweet Duffy" event. (Though no, it's not much like either of those events.)

It sounds like Los Feliz is referring to the city, so the grammatical error is in the (existing) city name, not the store. Which is probably historically accurate for the 1920s-1930s as well. :blush:

Updebrooke, is that a new Duffy? Hate to see more of the 12" Duffies, but a Duffy actually dressed like Mickey would be cute. Don't see it coming, of course, but just saying.
                  Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

It's another 12" Duffy dressed as a Disney Tourist. He's kind of cute though.

Comment

Can you imagine if they did make this in the 17" size? What would they do in Tokyo if you had Duffy dressed like that? Probably point, smile and say "kawaii".
                      sigpic
                      Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
                      Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
                      :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

Comment

The hat is cute, and could easily be fitted to 17" Duffy with a bit of elastic and minimal sewing. The shirt is just the typical US click-n-fill "design," so no loss there. It was cool when they had the T-shirts for each park for the full-sized Duffys; do they even still make those, or is it all "Disney Parks" now? I was impressed with those because they were something we don't have in Tokyo that actually seemed like something American Disney tourists were likely to genuinely enjoy. It's a very American concept (Japanese Disney fashion is quite different), and it seemed like a sincere, natural and memorable item that might actually enhance someone's connection to Duffy. That's my measure.:love:

NOTE: Looked it up and they still exist. I could only find the WDW one on the website, but there was a different one for DCA. Well, it had a different print, at least. It's exactly the same colors and base design. I really thought these were different colors originally, too... Still, I like this. It's not something I would ever buy personally, but I can imagine that US park-goers might actually find it charming. If it was $10 or under, I'd also think it was somewhat reasonably priced. It's $18, though, which I consider highway robbery.

This Tampa Bay Rays shirt (hey, Aimster!^^) from Build-A-Bear goes for $6.50, but it doesn't include a hat. Still, it also has a more complex neckline and looks to be made from higher quality material:

This one is more directly comparable to the Disney one, though still with a far nicer neckline, and it sells for just $5, as do most of the other Raglan tees from BAB, except the ones that are $6.50...and the ones that are only $3:

My advice would be to buy an iron-on and a blank BAB raglan tee (also $5), and make it yourself. Or even make your own image, print out your own iron-on and have a super custom job just the way you want it.^^

Tokyo items cost more than the US, no doubt. But when it comes to value for money and not feeling like a chump, I'm far more impressed with OLC and BAB. You're probably right that some Tokyo fans also think the US stuff is cute, but I've never seen it in the parks. I've seen it for sale on auctions and websites and even in shops, but I've never seen anyone actually showing it off. Disney is not invested in doing this well and their prices are a total rip-off, speaking bluntly. They make Duffy look like a scam, and he's not!

Comment

Not impressed in the least. All just generic, generic, generic! Disney is not even trying anymore! Please Disney, LEAVE DUFFY ALONE!!!
                          Poor unfortunate Souls.

Comment

Cute I like the hat mostly, I agree that he needs shorts or pants.

But actually what is bugging me the most is a typo in "Los Feliz Five & Dime"

If they are using "feliz" it's singular, example "ella es feliz" (she's happy) , but when it's plural it should be "felicesces five & dime", since they are talking about plural, since "los" means "the" in plural.
                            You're right. The thing is, with this name, it's a real location in California. Los Feliz is a city near Los Angeles, so the store name is in reference to that, not the actual word.

---------- Post added 01-13-2012 at 09:17 AM ----------

As for the new costume...the DCA one. I like the hat. I really am hating the scatter patterns they keep using. Even the new "tourist" Duffy has the similar pattern on it. So cheap looking and boring. Like DuffyD said, it's just an easy way to avoid being careful with seams and hems. I like the bowling shirt concept DuffyD mentioned. That would be cute. I do admit to liking the "Mickey's Trailer" motif to the Route 66/DCA merchandise though. It fits, and I like the general feel of it. Duffy's costume is at least better than a patterned hoodie, or generic t-shirt, but not by a whole lot. Still, I do like that hat.
                            Meow

Comment

I have that Rays shirt from BAB and the Rays logo on it is actually kind of velvety feeling. They also make a pink version that has a few rhinestones for girly bling. Definitely higher quality than what the US parks have put out.

Comment

I want this!

Comment

I would buy those pajamas for a 17" bear, a 12" bear...or for a person. :shy: If only they'd put them on DUFFY and not that homely bear template.

I do understand BAB clothes fit the 12" bears, though I from my limited experience (girl clothes) they fit the 17" bears better. If there were a 12" Shellie May, I would definitely buy her some BAB clothes--I think a princess dress would look great on her, and skirts are more forgiving than pants.

If anyone still needs a 12" Duffy (not sure that applies to any posters here at this point, but you never know), the Disney Store online has the 2011 one for $11.25, and the code SALE30 gives you 30% off this weekend. So $7.87 plus tax and shipping!

One note, though--I think the noses might be crooked on the 2011 Duffies in general. The one I got had a crooked nose but I figured it was just a fluke and still loved him. But the one I bought for my brother's baby had the same issue. No wonder they didn't sell!

Still, if you were going to buy something else (so shipping doesn't get you), $7.87 is so cheap it makes me want to buy them and give them to Toys for Tots in December to share some Duffy love. If shipping were free and their noses might not be crooked, I just might. :shy:
                                  Last edited by Eeee-va; 01-14-2012, 08:19 AM.
                                  Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

The PJ set looks cute. I hope they would release the slippers & hat. That would add some nice touches. I'm not a fan of the hat saying Duffy. The hat looks like the same one TDS released a few years ago and Disney is using the left overs and adding Duffy name to it. I hope the quality on the pj set is good. Looking forward to seeing it.
                                    :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

Yeah, I don't know about the 12" Duffys (mine still hasn't arrived yet. Grr), but I know Lil D has trouble fitting into most BaB clothes. Some things are ok, like the black and red striped hoodie seems to fit him quite well, while most of the shirts are too baggy and long. Pants are a total bust.

BTW, I KNEW if I had waited just a little bit longer that 2011 Duffy would have been even cheaper! Dang, that always happens to me. Oh well. Oh and I'll also have to see if the one they send me has a crooked nose. That's one thing I don't like about ordering stuff online. I usually like to pick out my own stuff...with online you never know what the one they send you will be like, but I'm sure I'll love him anyway. Although if my new arrival DOES have a crooked nose, I suppose it would make Lil D feel pretty good since he too has his own nasal defect.

Comment

Eh, it's ok, but not my cup of tea. If it's an actual costume, I'll definitely get it for my sister. She's been bugging me to get her Duffy PJs because she likes sleeping with him! ^^

And about BAB clothes, I usually find a lot of the clothes is too small and too big in some parts for Duffy! Especially pants! They're all low riders! Haha, idk how aimster makes them look so good. Dresses usually fit Shellie may pretty well, with just a few alterations, but it's harder to find clothes that fits Duffy!
                                        Poor unfortunate Souls.

Comment

Have you tried Build a Dino pants for Duffy? The seem to fit him better in length but they are a bit big for him around his tummy. Some BaB shirts come up short on my Duffy. I have to remind myself that my Duffy has a bit of a different shape then your guys Duffy
                                          and that effects the clothes he wares. But try the Build a Dino pants you may like them.

As for BaB that I have for Shellie seems to big for her
                                          :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

Working...
                                          X