Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Duffy Merchandise

I don't know if this has been posted or not, but Duffy is in at least 3 of the Christmas ornaments this year (he might be in those big cast ones, too- I usually don't bother with them, so I didn't look).

All of them have Mickey playing Santa, and Duffy is one of the toys coming out of the bag. I haven't seen them on ds.com, but they were at Downtown Disney in the Christmas store.

Comment

I'd call it a not-quite Duffy, though I guess the mouse-ear type ears are rather more pronounced on the ornament than on Duffy...

Here is a picture of (left to right): 9" Santa Duffy, Tiny Shellie May, Spring Voyage Smiling Shellie May, 12" Duffy, Tiny Duffy.

The 9" Santa Duffy actually is a bit smaller than the 12" Shellie May...his nose is (if I recall correctly) notably smaller and his feet are just a tiny bit smaller. He is ADORABLE and his outfit is VERY soft. I did not see a plentiful number at the parks--in fact, I only saw 2 at World of Disney on October 30 (and one had some black stuff on the white part of the outfit!) and none the other days. There were enough in Duffy's shop at DCA and some on Buena Vista Street, too, but I wouldn't wait to get one, personally. The quality seemed very good to me. No beans in his bottom was the only "flaw," but he was only $15, so less than twice the price of a much smaller, undressed bear.
      Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

I picked up one of those 9" Christmas Duffys when I was at WDW last month. He really is adorable and I love how tiny he is! I call him "Itty Bitty Dinky Duffy". And when I got him, the CM who rang me up gave me the 20% Premium AP discount instead of my usual 10% (this seems to happen a lot), so I got him for like $12.

Comment

I got a $15 gift card for participating in a test drive at work, so I only had to pay like $1.30 for my Santa Duffy, I think?

I didn't remove his hat (would involve clipping at least 3 threads) but you can squeeze him out of his Santa outfit if needed. I'm not sure if I'd want to do it more than once or twice per year. Although since I've met Santa Duffy three times, regular Duffy once, and Halloween Duffy 0 times, the poor bear may just live in the outfit for good.
          Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Comment

A friend of mine in Tokyo mentioned on her Facebook that Duffy's outfit in the latest CCC offering is currently sold out and they won't be getting more in until around the middle of December.

Comment

Hey folks. Hope you had more luck than I did with the Duffy pj's. Sold out at disney.com. I'm heart broken. Maybe Disney.com will re-stock?

Comment

I'll be at WDW for a day late next week or early the following week. I want to see these jammies in person before I decide if I really want them or not.

Comment

They just arrived in the warehouse today, so hopefully will be available in the next couple of days.

:love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:
                  We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
                  Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

Comment

I am the proud owner of the pj set. They are so cute!. I love the packaging so much that I don't want to take them out of the box! Love this new outfit
                    sigpic

http://smallcrazyworldafterall.blogspot.com/

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
                    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum

Comment

There is an artificial demand for duffy merchandise, its easy to buy. Anyone could easily go to buy it in every store and buy more at each store. If we really wanted to limit Duffy merchandise there is need to sell it at one location and have a stamp system or something in place to prevent abuse.

Comment

For those who bought the Pj's, how do they feel? Are they made of flannel? What does the quality feel like? I'm with Aimster in that I want to see what the quality is like before I buy them. I did see them on Disney Store.com, but hesitated.
                        Meow

Comment

I know I could edit my post, but I really want them to be separate, since the one above is a question, and this is more info.

Anyway, apparently Hong Kong Disneyland is featuring Duffy on lots of it's Christmas merchandise. I was looking on Ebay and saw some of it. The official site has very little of the merchandise shown, but you can see some of it.

Hong Kong Disneyland | A Sparkling Christmas

There are Christmas ornaments, pins, stickers, candy tins, the small plush the US got, and it says that there are new outfits. I wonder it that is the sweater and the PJ's that were released here? Anyway, what I've seen looks pretty cute, and personally, it's like a cross between the TDS level of cuteness mixed with the American version of Duffy. I like that HKDL at least attempts to mimic what TDR does with it's seasonal and event merchandise.

Here's the cute ornament:

A sticker:

Gummy candy tins:

Photo frame with lots of characters:

Cell phone straps:

Keychain:

So, it looks like Hong Kong Disneyland is doing more with Duffy than any other park besides Tokyo DisneySEA.
                          Meow

Comment

That sticker is the same one they handed out last year at HKDL. I have one (courtesy of a friend who went there last year & snagged one for me).

Comment

Thanks for the scoop, Gurgi! I wonder how popular he really is there, and with whom?

Comment

Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                                For those who bought the Pj's, how do they feel? Are they made of flannel? What does the quality feel like? I'm with Aimster in that I want to see what the quality is like before I buy them. I did see them on Disney Store.com, but hesitated.
                                I would like to know too! We're planning on buying them in eight sleeps in DTD

Comment

They are a soft flannel material outfit. Very cute! The slippers are a super soft also. I really do love these jammies!
                                  sigpic

http://smallcrazyworldafterall.blogspot.com/

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
                                  Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum

Comment

Got back from DL earlier this week and found a couple new items I haven't seen before.

So I know that Disney's tactic with Duffy is basically subliminal advertising by sneaking him into the crowd on merchandise that features a variety of characters. Now it seems like Disney thinks the concept of Mickey having a teddy bear isn't connecting with guests, so they've started featuring Duffy with Minnie Mouse instead. Here's a cute magic towel (those washcloths that you soak in water and bring to life). The colors are really vibrant and I just love it. $3.95

There is also a series of plastic keychains that depict the 'Superb 6' (Whoa, Daisy was finally included! It's a miracle!) enjoying a day at DL/MK. Mickey holding Mickey balloons, Goofy studying a map upside down while eating a Mickey ice cream bar, etc. The Minnie keychain is holding a Duffy. $6.95

They are somewhat poorly painted and I tried to pick out a nice one, but this is the best Minnie one I could find.

There's a cute hidden Mickey on the back of her dress, though.

Comment

I LOVE Minnie with Duffy! It might be a great idea marketing-wise (I prefer Minnie to Mickey myself, and I reckon a lot of, um, littler girls do too). And I think it's still true to the spirit of Duffy, since Minnie made him and the Spring Voyage show definitely has Minnie and Mickey interacting with both bears, not just "their own."

That washcloth is crazy cute. It even says Disneyland! Too bad the keychain is so poorly painted. It's funny because the feet are painted just fine. That was $6.95 for a full set of keychains, right, not just the one?

Comment

Originally posted by Eeee-va View Post
                                        I LOVE Minnie with Duffy! It might be a great idea marketing-wise (I prefer Minnie to Mickey myself, and I reckon a lot of, um, littler girls do too). And I think it's still true to the spirit of Duffy, since Minnie made him and the Spring Voyage show definitely has Minnie and Mickey interacting with both bears, not just "their own."

That washcloth is crazy cute. It even says Disneyland! Too bad the keychain is so poorly painted. It's funny because the feet are painted just fine. That was $6.95 for a full set of keychains, right, not just the one?
                                        Haha, yeah no. $6.95 each! Sad considering they probably cost like 10 cents to make.

Comment

Wow, that's pretty pricey for the quality if that's the best keychain you could find. I'm happy they cheaped out and left that "Duffy" stamp off the hat, though!:thumbup:

I'm gonna be deeply sad if Duffy gets marketed as "for girls," though. I accepted "for kids" vs collectors, but one of the exciting things about the US is our more open sense of gender roles. In fact, I think of teddy bears as the "boys' toy" equivalent to "girls'" dolls. I really hope they don't move in that direction.

With the UK Disney Stores readying to sell Duffy, I doubt the US will be far behind. I predicted it, but I still don't like it. Park-exclusivity is a major component of the Duffy brand for me, as is Cape Cod. Widely available Duffy makes him much more "just another Disney plush." It is very difficult after that to think of Duffy as symbolic of and synonymous with the park experience or fan experience. He will no longer be Disney's most exclusively positioned mascot, and then what you're buying into is just the cute teddy bear. I wouldn't have gone for Duffy if he'd been like that four years ago. I don't see a lot of longevity without the park-exclusive component, and I can't really imagine that shift going over well in Japan.

Disney Stores here, too, are no longer run or operated by OLC. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next year.

Comment

Working...
                                          X