Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues

The MiceChat staff is listening to your PM's and the notes provided in the flagged posts. We will provide more information in a post that will be published no later than Sunday night, 6/23/19. The link will be provided here.
See more
See less

New Duffy Merchandise

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Duffy Merchandise

Gurgi, I will be in the store tonight with my Girl Scout troop. It is no hardship for me to look at what is on the hangers. ILG

Comment

If you can't find it, I did see them at BaB DtD Anaheim. I can pick one up for you. Just let me know.
      Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
      Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
      :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

Thanks Janell. I'll post what I find. Looking for a crushed velvet blazer for DuffyD as well.

Comment

I have not seen the Queen of Hearts costume at BaB here in Orlando. Of course, it's been a couple of weeks since I've gone, so they may have something I don't know about!
          Luv Duffy & Shellie May
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Naelyan View Post
            I have not seen the Queen of Hearts costume at BaB here in Orlando. Of course, it's been a couple of weeks since I've gone, so they may have something I don't know about!
            Okay, good to know Naelyan. Figured that store would have a better count being closer to DisneyWorld.

Comment

Does anybody know why the Arribas Brothers figure is so expensive? I thought that most of the Swarovski crystals were glass? Unless it's a very limited edition, like DuffyD joked about. But, $815 for such a small figure seems a little out of scale. I bought a trinket box that was about that size during Disneyland's 50th anniversary, and it's also covered in Swarovski crystals, but it was only $40...(and not from Arribas Brothers).
              Meow

Comment

I know that Swarovski crystals are made with about 30% lead, but I don't know why that figure is so incredibly expensive unless it's due to an obscene amount of crystals used (talking in the thousand-range) with an added, hefty "luxury tax" for the sake of being a limited item by a renowned store (is Arribas Brothers "renowned"?? I haven't heard of them until this thread but then again, I am poor).

You know, I actually like the $40 Duffy figure. Not so much because I think he resembles the bear himself, but because his expression screams "I have seen things that cannot be unseen" and I think that's hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Rococo View Post
                  You know, I actually like the $40 Duffy figure. Not so much because I think he resembles the bear himself, but because his expression screams "I have seen things that cannot be unseen" and I think that's hilarious.
                  Your comment gave me a good laugh! Thanks for that. I need one today.

Comment

Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                    Does anybody know why the Arribas Brothers figure is so expensive? I thought that most of the Swarovski crystals were glass? Unless it's a very limited edition, like DuffyD joked about. But, $815 for such a small figure seems a little out of scale. I bought a trinket box that was about that size during Disneyland's 50th anniversary, and it's also covered in Swarovski crystals, but it was only $40...(and not from Arribas Brothers).
                    As I've mentioned before, ALL of those figurines are VERY expensive, not just the Duffy one.

Here's a link to a Pooh & Tigger one that's $1200:
                    Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Figurine by Arribas Brothers | Figurines & Keepsakes | Disney Store

And a Mickey one that is $950:
                    Magician Mickey Mouse Figurine by Arribas Brothers | Figurines & Keepsakes | Disney Store

And one of Cinderellas Castle that is a whopping $6800!
                    Walt Disney World Cinderella Castle Miniature by Arribas Brothers | Figurines & Keepsakes | Disney Store

Considering the very tiny Duffy one is $40 (he's maybe an inch tall, if that)... and that is too much for something that small.

Here's a Bambi & Thumper figurine for $835:
                    Bambi and Thumper Figurine by Arribas Brothers | Figurines & Keepsakes | Disney Store

The Genie from Aladdin for $1500:
                    Genie Figurine by Arribas | Figurines & Keepsakes | Disney Store

So you see, it's not just Duffy... it's ALL of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rococo View Post
                      I know that Swarovski crystals are made with about 30% lead, but I don't know why that figure is so incredibly expensive unless it's due to an obscene amount of crystals used (talking in the thousand-range) with an added, hefty "luxury tax" for the sake of being a limited item by a renowned store (is Arribas Brothers "renowned"?? I haven't heard of them until this thread but then again, I am poor).

The lead content was true until last autumn; now Swarovski crystal contains .009% lead or less. It's called "Advanced Crystal":

http://www.shopharmanbeads.com/asset...20Crystals.pdf

Maybe we pay a premium for R&D? I vaguely recall reading that this caused a real controversy among enthusiasts, with some feeling that the crystal itself was no longer as valuable because it is now ostensibly "just glass." Others argue that the technology to create such dazzling crystal with practically no concerns about potential health risks from lead is an extraordinary innovation that is worth at least as much, if not more.

As for Arribas Brothers, I also had never heard of them before this thread, but I don't follow crystals so much. I can't even accurately recall why I knew about that lead change last year.

"I have seen things that cannot be unseen." You just made me love this figure!:lmao:

Comment

Arribas Bros have been in WDW for many years. They have shops in Downtown Disney, Magic Kingdom (on main Street... the crystal shop) and even the Mexico pavilion at Epcot. They sell more than just the figurines. They also do glass blowing and make some really beautiful glass items that can be personalized. They also sell really pretty (and expensive) tiaras, jewelry... you name it.

Comment

Yeah, Arribas Brothers is a park fixture...at least since 1967 anyway. Here is what Disney has to say about them:

"The Arribas Brothers’ affiliation with Disney began in 1967, when they opened a shop and studio at Disneyland. Since then, Arribas Brothers have expanded their expertise: from glass cutting and glassblowing to glass sculpturing and damascene, the art of inlaying gold and silver into a blackened steel surface. Arribas Brothers have also expanded their locations to include Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, Disneyland Park in California, Tokyo Disneyland Park, and Disneyland Paris. Arribas Brothers opened their newest location, Hong Kong Disneyland, in the September 2005.

Today, Arribas Brothers employ master artisans from countries such as Spain, Austria, Italy, France, Germany, Lithuania, Japan, and Peru. In addition to their own one-of-a-kind glass creations, Arribas Brothers carry a variety of unique gift items imported from Europe. At Disney locations worldwide, Arribas Brothers’ fourth generation of glass cutters can be seen practicing their rare and exacting craft."

I've only ever seen them at a Disney park. I know all of their crystal figures are expensive (not just the Duffy one), I just don't know why they are. I can't imagine it's just because of the crystals added.
                          Meow

Comment

How much effort do you think goes into gluing hundreds of crystals onto a little statue without getting glue everywhere?
                            They likely use machines, but I'll bet it is a very expensive process. Not to mention the creation of many little gems.

Comment

They may actually have to do that by hand. It's so small, nod just glass I dunno… I never noticed they're called Arribas Brothers here, but I'll check next time I'm in the parks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilovegreataur View Post
                                How much effort do you think goes into gluing hundreds of crystals onto a little statue without getting glue everywhere?
                                They likely use machines, but I'll bet it is a very expensive process. Not to mention the creation of many little gems.
                                I've hand rhinestoned a couple pairs of Mickey ears and I can tell you firsthand it is a TEDIOUS project. I normally have the patience of a gnat, so managing to do this twice... yeah. It takes me about a week or so to do just one pair because of the work involved. Part of me wants to do another pair, but it's very time consuming and expensive (I end up buying my rhinestones in bulk because it's easier).

Comment

Originally posted by gurgi View Post
                                  Ok, I just found a picture of Build-a-Bear's Queen of Hearts costume. I do wish this was in stock at BAB though, it's very cute.
                                  Originally posted by tenchikiss View Post
                                  XO I am super interested in the Queen of Hearts outfit too.
                                  Originally posted by Janell View Post
                                  If you can't find it, I did see them at BaB DtD Anaheim. I can pick one up for you. Just let me know.
                                  gurgi, tenchikiss, and Janell,
                                  no luck on the Queen of Hearts at my local BAB store.

On an alternate note, they have some very small outfits that may be suitable for a (understand me here) large small Duffy. Maybe a keychain size one?

Comment

On an alternate note, they have some very small outfits that may be suitable for a (understand me here) large small Duffy. Maybe a keychain size one?
                                    Are these Smallfrys outfits (smallfrys Accessories - Build-A-Bear Workshop US), or something smaller? The Smallfrys outfits fit the 8" Duffy you can buy at the Disney Store; Aimster enlightened me to that fact.
                                    Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

The Smallfrys outfits. I realized after posting that they would be too big for key chain sized bears.

Freakish dolls though. Small body, huge head.

I'm thinking maybe some baby doll outfits for Puppet Shellie May.

Comment

gurgi, tenchikiss, and Janell,
                                        no luck on the Queen of Hearts at my local BAB store.
                                        Thanks for looking. I will keep this in mind to check any Build a Bears I come across. Told the husband of my quest (because calling it a quest sounds cooler than loving a bear outfit) and he thinks it is dumb that all the outfits aren't available on the website.

Comment

The associate said that the NYC store has things that cannot be found elsewhere. If you really want it, you may want to call that store. Maybe they can do a store-to-store transfer?

Comment

Working...
                                          X