• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Forbidden Eye
    • Jul 2006

Re: New Duffy Merchandise

F183 has pics available in her twitter
    Last edited by The Forbidden Eye; 05-14-2011, 11:53 PM. Reason: Removed pics at the request of F183

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Comment

• DuffyGuardian
      Adventures with Duffy
      • Sep 2005

They look cute. I hope they are cute in person. Anyone seen them at WDW or DCA?
      Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
      Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
      :love:Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011:love:

Comment

• FI183
        Banned User
        • Jul 2005

We got new costumes! They'll be released soon!
        Last edited by FI183; 05-14-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• DuffyDaisuki

• Feb 2009

Comment

• updebrooke
            Wag More, Bark Less!
            • Jan 2011

I'll be at Downtown Disney today for the Disney Cars Masters Weekend event. They should have the Cars one there. I will also check Epcot for the Pirates.

Comment

• DuffyGuardian
              Adventures with Duffy
              • Sep 2005

DuffyD, you can always sew your own button on to make the quality of the costume better. Adding your own detail can go a long way.

Comment

• DuffyDaisuki

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Janell View Post
                DuffyD, you can always sew your own button on to make the quality of the costume better. Adding your own detail can go a long way.
                Yeah, I have done that with a lot of things. Added claws and changed the eye buttons on the Halloween cat costume... Swapped the buttons and made different shoes for Candlelight Reflections... Done some BAB edits and will be using BAB costumes I already bought with UniBEARsity details to make school uniforms to fit my overstuffed armature bears...

If the paint came off, maybe I'd try that here. I'd have to add a metal sash buckle, too. That was my first thought, but then I looked closely at the material and stitching and decided it wasn't really worth it to me.

Comment

• The Forbidden Eye
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by FI183 View Post
                  Thanks for posting my pics TFE! They're in DCA! We just got them in today! I'm not even sure if they're onstage yet! LOL
                  I'll see if they're in the store today. I'll let you know via Twitter!

The world is a treasure trove of places.
                  The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
                  Indy Ride Count: 2211
                  World of Color Count: 74

Comment

• FI183
                    Banned User
                    • Jul 2005

The details on the new costumes are great!
                    Last edited by FI183; 05-14-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• aimster
                      Waiting for my E-Ticket

• May 2005

Hopefully I can find these when I'm at DTD next weekend. I don't care for the Lightning McQueen one, but the pirate one looks pretty cool. If I like it upon closer inspection I'll definitely buy it.

Comment

• FI183
                        Banned User
                        • Jul 2005

Can't wait till you guys see them!
                        Last edited by FI183; 05-14-2011, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• Erika Glagowski
                          MiceChatter
                          • Apr 2011

OmG! I want the Pirate on Duffy dress like Captain Jack Sparrow <3
                          sigpic

Comment

• Wondering
                            ~*Princess*~
                            • Oct 2009

I really love the pirate costume. The Cars costume isn't my cup of tea, but I think some of the patches look nice.

Comment

• updebrooke
                              Wag More, Bark Less!
                              • Jan 2011

Just wanted to let everyone know that Epcot has the Priates and Cars outfit. Another surprise that I found, they have the 7 piece Pin set. I love it!!

Comment

• messica
                                New MiceChatter
                                • Jan 2011

Just saw the Seven piece pin set on ebay! They really look adorable!!!! Cant wait till my next trip so I can pick them up
                                sigpic

http://smallcrazyworldafterall.blogspot.com/

Comment

• DBEAR
                                  New MiceChatter
                                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by updebrooke View Post
                                  Just wanted to let everyone know that Epcot has the Priates and Cars outfit. Another surprise that I found, they have the 7 piece Pin set. I love it!!
                                  I was at EPCOT today and didn't see these. Can I ask where and what time you saw them?

Comment

• DuffyDaisuki

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by FI183 View Post
                                    All the details on both costumes are embroidered or stitched! They did not skimp out on these! The pockets are even REAL! They are so cute in person! And finally we're getting some detail!!! Can't wait to see them on Duffy! I REALLY want the pirate one! It's just too cute to pass up!
                                    It's nice to hear that the pockets are not just flaps (I had assumed they were). And while I agree that embroidery is generally better than painted on, it certainly isn't the same quality as a sewn-on button. Further, since it's even harder to remove than painted on, replacing these "buttons" with real ones wouldn't even be a very practical option unless you use simple plastic discs exactly the same size and shade as the existinge embroidery. Build-A-Bear never does painted-on or embroidered buttons - shame on you, Disney!

I expect Disney, as the owner of the character and the planet's most celebrated and well-resourced character merchandising house, to be the industry leader producing the absolute pinnacle of creativity and construction. Disney's details should be perfect; that's what makes it Disney. The problem is that if these sell well, we should expect to see more corner-cutting in the future. I think it's a step in the right direction, but I'm reserving my jumping claps for when they actually start producing at an acceptable standard of quality appropriate to the Disney legacy, which is precisely what the Duffy character/product is meant to be ensouled by and embody.

The pirate costume is cute, but clearly not their best possible work, which for me creates a disappointment. How much are these, by the way? At $15 I'd say it's "reasonable" but not a bargain; I'm thinking they're up around $30 now, though. That's getting close to Tokyo price for not nearly the same quality - and they don't have to pay licensing fees! I find that outrageous. I would like to see more photos, though. My opinion could change considerably if those garishly over-bright and unsophisticated colors look really adorable when they're on an actual Duffy.^^

Comment

• Wondering
                                      ~*Princess*~
                                      • Oct 2009

To be honest, the pirate costume reminds me of a Blue version of the Halloween Pirate costume that had come out in...2007 I believe for Tokyo Disney Sea. I saw another picture on Ebay and the gold buttons look almost exact. I personally don't mind them not being real buttons as it's nice to just have a soft outfit.

I think the costumes are 18-20 now. Maybe 25 tops. I believe it's only 25-30 for the 12 inch Duffy that come with costumes on.

Comment

• updebrooke
                                        Wag More, Bark Less!
                                        • Jan 2011

It was actually in a store that I didn't expect. It's the little shop at the International Gateway going towards the resorts (Beach Club, Boardwalk). They didn't have a lot of them, just a few. I don't know if this is because they didn't get a lot in yet or if all those ebayers are buying like a thousand of them.

Comment

• DuffyDaisuki

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Wondering View Post
                                          To be honest, the pirate costume reminds me of a Blue version of the Halloween Pirate costume that had come out in...2007 I believe for Tokyo Disney Sea. I saw another picture on Ebay and the gold buttons look almost exact. I personally don't mind them not being real buttons as it's nice to just have a soft outfit.

I think the costumes are 18-20 now. Maybe 25 tops. I believe it's only 25-30 for the 12 inch Duffy that come with costumes on.
                                          I guess you're talking about this one. I never noticed the stitched buttons.:yuck: Still, while I suppose you could argue that these terrible buttons and that hexagonal sash buckle are similar, I think that's a pretty weak connection considering how very different all the other elements and the overall impression are. Plus, it includes pants and boots that are among the best of all the TDS footwear releases. Check the details at the Disney Bear Duffy blog. Is this what you're talking about?

Here's the TDS Pirate for comparison, clearly more inspired by Jack Sparrow than by the cartoony eyepatch pirates I grew up with - and FAR more complex, detailed and sophisticated than the US one, terrible buttons aside (although at least they look gold and not yellow, making it easier to sew on metal buttons, which it would be worth doing with such a generally well-constructed costume and which I would do immediately):

As for US pricing, I really only go by what people post here. I remembered there being a bit of discussion about a price hike around the time of the release of the Buzz Lightyear costume. I was thinking of DBEAR's post from March, although it was two weeks before the earthquake and now it feels like it's from an eternity ago:

Originally posted by DBEAR View Post
                                          The prices on some items did go up today at WDW. I'm sure Disneyland also raised prices since they use the same merchandising computer/pricing system. The outfits are now $18, except Buzz and Woody are now $20. The large Duffy went up $15, from $60 to $75. The 17 inch Duffy is now $30 instead of $25. The 12 inch dressed Duffys were marked $30 at 1 location out of 3 that I checked but still ring up at $25. I was told that they were suppose to go up to $30, so who knows what is happening with those. Didn't get to check the other items yet. I really don't see most tourists spending over $50 for a Duffy with an outfit. I have seen less than 10 people walking around with a Duffy since the relaunch and I go to the parks at least once a week. Less than 6 months and already price increases.
                                          I think I remembered the $30 from the bears. I think $15 should be the limit on this and most of the US costumes. $20 is reasonable, I guess, for Buzz and Woody...except that Build-A-Bear has sold both of these costumes for years - with shoes for Buzz and MUCH better details on Woody, including a stiff molded hat and a plastic pull ring that's actually sewn on with a string, as well as a MUCH better bandana and spurs - at a price point of just $16. What Disney makes isn't as high quality, so I think it should be less expensive, not more.

*The one good thing, though, is that the BAB "helmet" for Buzz doesn't fit Duffy right. In this, the US wins, but that's not a fair fight really since BAB wasn't designing for Duffy in the first place.

Oops! Looks like the photos got taken down. You can check out Duffy in the pirate costume in TheForbiddenEyes latest photo post HERE:

Originally posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post

By theforbiddeneye at 2011-05-15

By theforbiddeneye at 2011-05-15
                                          Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 05-15-2011, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X