• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eeee-va
    I love that tiny bear!
    • Oct 2005

Re: Event news!!!!

I had totally planned to make Tiny Duffy a 1920s-type costume even before I read this thread. I'd imagined a newsboy hat, but not necessarily a newsie per say...I think I know what he is going to be now! )

Regarding the quality, I did some calculations a few months back, I think it was. IF you ignore the 3 for $30 and other sales, the $20-$22 US costumes (that mostly tend to come with a top and a hat) are about the price of 2 pieces of a TDS costume (which also come with shoes, accessories, etc.). Now, there are economics of scale, which TDS may have over DL, given Duffy's popularity in Japan, though when you're making thousands upon thousands of outfits, I'm not certain it's much or any cheaper to make more at that point.

Anyway, IF Disney would keep Duffy's outfits at full price, they could probably do fine making quality costumes. And once word got out to the marketplace, he'd probably become very popular. (Almost every time I bring 12" or even Tiny Duffy somewhere for a few hours, someone stops me to say what a cute face that bear has.)

Of course, Disney has raised their price on Duffy himself (though he had been at a substantial discount to the TDS one and is still cheaper)...yet lowered the quality with poorer-quality fur, reportedly lesser manufacturing, etc. So it's clear where Disney's priorities are...which is just foolish because judging by how many strangers have admired my Duffies, there are a LOT of bear fans that would have interest in a well-manufactured bear.

But Disney likes to ignore the adult market in favor of making "children's" toys...even if that's their strategy, I think they're forgetting that parents buy the toys. Plenty of moms and dads buy toys that are well-made and detailed, "for the kid," either because they want their child to have the best, or because they think it's so cool they want it in their own home and use the child as an excuse. )
    Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

• bebs
      New MiceChatter
      • Feb 2012

I agree with those that posted above me, yes there are fan made costumes that are ten thousand types better and I can on wish and hope Disney company can do that some day. However with the way that the Disney team has marketed him and having all of these promotions on costumes they have deemed him at the moment of staying at the level that he is it and not to raise within the ranks, it is sad, but it is truth at least here where I live. Yes Duffy is super big in Japan, but he is not that big of a power house here in the US (yet, wishing and hoping), because the Japan marketing team has made him into what he is today, they gave him a story, they gave him a voice and they made him into who we love. If the US teams took the hint maybe they could change things, however they would have to do a complete over haul and they at this point do not have the budge to do this maybe some day.

at this point we mostly say we wont buy costumes from disney until the quality gets better but.. catch 22 the quality wont get better until the profits are there.

As for the fan made costumes, I only wish I had talent like that I can only ***** my finger with the needle and that is about as far as I get when I try. So alas I will need to stick to pre-made costumes or buy fan made costumes for my self... my poor fluffs.

Comment

• NRubus
        New MiceChatter
        • May 2012

Honestly, I'd rather Disney just stop this circus they're doing with Duffy and just leave him exclusively for TDS. Yea, Disney is improving....somewhat, if you can call it that, but it will NEVER be as good as OLC does. They just keep trying and failing and it's really just embarrassing to the character. And like some people have sad, they don't take Duffy seriously. They see him as a marketing ploy by Disney, which he is, in the states. So I'd rather just get exclusive hight quality merchandise from TDS than ever get anything from the US parks.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
        Working...
        X