Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs #2

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs #2

I was searching for sites for bear clothes patterns. I feel so bold after successfully making a gown, that I'd like to make one for ShellieMay. Historically, I just wing it and create patterns by holding things up to the bears or fashioning one by an article of clothing. It is hard that way!

I found an absolutely wonderful thread started by DuffyD and had many contributions by Eeee-va, Sandrita, and UrsulaLvr.
    The thread is closed. I thought maybe we could make a new one.

I know we have a few of those among us who sew.

So, I'm looking for a pattern...

ILG

Re: Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs #2

I juryrig patterns for my bears, with mixed results. (Princess dresses are apparently my specialty, just like they were for dolls...) I have a book of princess dress patterns for 17" American Girl and slim body dolls so I use those as a base to sew for Smiling Shellie May. (There is a "prince" pattern in there too so there is also something to use for pants.)

Smiling Shellie May, at least, has a very petite top and a less-petite bottom (with ITTY BITTY legs) so she's tricky to say the least. I had a pair of plain blue shorts made from an American Girl pattern; they were slightly tight on the doll but when I added the light blue trim and the belt (and inexplicably, turned them backwards) they worked pretty well for short pants for her.

All that to say, I would LOVE a reliable 17" (or other size) Duffy/Shellie May pattern! I have a friend who drafts/sells patterns, but she's probably busy because of the impending Christmas season so I wouldn't count on her being able to make one for us anytime soon.
    Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

Re: Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs #2

I know mmommie sews some nice dresses. In particular, I would like to take the leftover material from making the Elsa gown (have now started the Anna winter dress) and make matching outfits for ShellieMay. I think that it would be great if she could wear them next month when we meet those princesses.

Comment

Not helpful for Elsa or Anna, but Shibuya Jacket 18 inch Doll Clothes Pattern PDF Download | Pixie Faire has a gorgeous free American Girl pattern today (11/7). I'm guessing the sleeves and waist would probably have to be altered to fit 17" Shellie May, but I love it!
        Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Comment

Thanks, Eeee-va. I created an account. Do they have a free pattern every day?

Comment

Every Friday, I believe, for different dolls. Someone added me to an American Girl group on Facebook and I have been too lazy to unsubscribe so someone usually posts when they have a free AG pattern.

Comment

I can measure one of the 18" dolls we have and compare measurements with SM. I also have clothing from mmommie and BAB. Perhaps I can make some patterns.

Comment

Yes, I was thinking of subjecting my poor Duffy to some fittings to give me ideas.....

Comment

I was in JoAnn Fabrics today and was looking around the pattern section and I found Anna & Elsa patterns for 18" dolls. I'll use those as a base for retrofitting for SM. I was thinking that since my daughter and SM will have dresses, Duffy should have something as well. Thought of making him a Kristoff outfit. None of the materials I saw jumped out at me. I figured that I would deal with that after I make the Anna dress and two dresses for Shellie May.
                  4 weeks...plenty of time, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Ilovegreataur View Post
                    I was in JoAnn Fabrics today and was looking around the pattern section and I found Anna & Elsa patterns for 18" dolls. I'll use those as a base for retrofitting for SM. I was thinking that since my daughter and SM will have dresses, Duffy should have something as well. Thought of making him a Kristoff outfit. None of the materials I saw jumped out at me. I figured that I would deal with that after I make the Anna dress and two dresses for Shellie May.
                    4 weeks...plenty of time, right?
                    :lol:

A Duffy Olaf is also a legitimate option as well and could be easier. Or a Sven could be outstanding!

If we got together a guide to revising American Girl patterns for the bears, that would be super-helpful for people with some sewing experience!

Comment

Olaf is definitely an option, and one suggested by my daughter as well. I thought Duffy would prefer to be a little more masculine.

We should consider creating a guide.

Comment

Update on the sewing projects.

Finished cape for daughter and doll. Used doll one to guess how to adjust for SM. I created the cape then had to modify further. Just need to make/attach the collar (I did one, but ended up being too small) and attach the clasp.

I think that the cape is the most labor intensive part.

I'm moving forward production line style for the dresses. I recognize that I'm on no deadline for the doll dress, but I think that if I construct that, it will give me a base from which I can guestimate modifications for SM. One thing I definitely realized with the cape is that "baby got back". I had to make the cape longer in the back than in the front, but for the human and doll outfits, they were even. The cape for SM started out even, but in fittings, was shorter. The whole thing was too long, so when hemming further, I was able to slope it down.

I'm sewing in every spare moment. I stopped by JoAnn fabrics yesterday to buy a frog. I've been glancing at the remnants every time I'm in there scouting for fabric for a Kristoff outfit. I found some last night at a bargain! It is supposedly upholstery fabric, but more like a very thin denim. It is gray and really looks like suede. The selvage is black and almost furry. I will use that as the fur trim. I bought a light corduroy that is darkish gray for the sleeves. (I guess I need to determine whether to make a shirt and vest or one piece. Probably 2 pieces, because I have a T-shirt and the SV vest to use to make patterns.) I also found a funky patterned burgundy faux suede material that will be great for sash and trim.

16 days is not a lot of time, and I have plans for both Saturday and Sunday! I think I'll be taking all of my sewing equipment with me at Thanksgiving. I cannot afford the down time.

I'll post pictures when I can and have more to show.

ILG

Comment

I'd always wished that Disney would make a Mickey Mouse or Winnie the Pooh (preferably both. LOL) plush that could be dressed up in different outfits like dolls could be.

Then, one year I got a Winnie the Pooh plush from Build-a-Bear Workshop for Christmas. Up until that point I had been sewing just for American Girl dolls. I really wanted to make Pooh the clothes he wore in the TV shows and movies (like his lovely Winter coat). But, as you can tell by looking at Pooh, there is no way an 18" doll pattern would fit him (it was all that honey he ate at breakfast... and lunch... and dinner...).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pooh 1.png
Views:	1
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	7357461Click image for larger version

Name:	Pooh 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	7357462

After trying to alter doll clothes patterns to fit weren't working, I gave up on it for awhile. A few years passed, and then I got Duffy for Christmas! I started looking for clothes for him, and there wasn't a lot of choices available. Disney didn't have much, and the fit of BABW clothing was iffy at best (plus there was they whole squish-the-head-to-fit-into-a-shirt thing).

Once again, 18" doll patterns just didn't work because, although they are the same height, the measurements of the neck, arms, and body, and legs are completely different. So I took the plunge and started working on patterns for him. Sometimes they go together pretty quick, other times they take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get just right. I once spent a few days practically pulling my hair out because a shirt I was working on was bunching around the front of the armpit area, and I wasn't certain how to fix it. And while I don't think Duffy was ever uncomfortable in that shirt, I wasn't pleased with how it looked and couldn't let it go. ^_^
                          "If you can dream it, you can do it!"

Comment

I know my experience is limited to altering a single pattern. When I get home, I can post what modifications I made to which seams.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing your modification instructions, ILG! I play around with slim-body 18" doll patterns for my Smiling Shellie May. I'm actually going to be working on a garment that will in theory fit her (it's for my BFF's plushie cat I made her, but I tried to make her as close to my Smiling Shellie May's dimensions as I could so that they could share clothes). It should be relatively simple, so I'm hoping to actually get a real pattern together and post it here.

But even if I do, I can't post before Christmas on the off OFF chance I accidentally link her a post/thread on here and she wanders over here; I want her to be surprised. :P

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X