Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs #2

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs #2

So here is the dress I made for my "SS" sized Smiling Shellie May! (Aimster's aunt made the bow.)

Oops; I forgot to trim the threads in back; sorry.

I will create/post a pattern in the next couple weeks, with instructions to make a one-colored skirt or probably a simpler patchwork skirt; this one was recreating a specific overly-complex pattern for a friend. I will try to make a pattern for the full-sized Shellie May too.

I think it could probably be made with a minimum of sewing if you used felt for the bodice, ribbon for the straps, and did not make a patchwork skirt (or found patchwork fabric for it). Sewing machine would not be required but is helpful, particularly for Velcro and the patches.

If anyone wants to do a "sew-along," let me know and I can take photos as I put it together and maybe get something together closer to Valentine's Day? We did that on another messageboard I was on, where we did one little step each day, and it was great fun.
    Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

Re: Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs #2

Sorry for being rather absent lately. I took on the project of making cushions for a very large bay window (trapezoid top 69", bottom 131"). Probably more time consuming than making the Anna and Elsa. I completed one cushion and gave as the present with the promise of forthcoming 3 remaining cushions.

I haven't forgotten my other promise to post my modifications of the doll dress for the bear.

Eeee-va, the dress is wonderful.

One thing I'd like to see a tutorial on is how to make a tail hole. I made one, but it was poorly done.

ILG

Comment

Thank you, ILG! My Smiling Shellie May doesn't actually get tail holes in her skirts; I think she looks fine without them. Maybe because she's sitting down already? Or maybe because my skirts tend to be poofy and/or so stiff they would hide the tail or squish it down?

(That said, I just shoved her tail through the natural hole in the back of the dress that Aimster's aunt made and it worked fine, so that might be the way to go. Many doll/bear dresses don't close all the way in back; usually you have Velcro or snaps down the back to about the waist, then some space that isn't sewn or closed in any way, and then the bottom portion of the skirt is sewn together.)
        Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Comment

When I made the Anna dress, there was a gap in the Velcro, but no cut-out for the tail. Without putting her tail through, it looked weird, like a full diaper, if you get my drift.
          I tried to fashion a hole in the Elsa dress, which was great to have, but hard to make and it wasn't very gracefully made.

Comment

I thought you would just put a hole in the back center seam, reinforcing at both sides so that the tail could poke through, but I can't say for certain. (The above dress was made for a plushie with no tail at all so I had no reason to add a tail hole.)

I'll check my Build a Bear dresses this weekend to see how they handle it.

Comment

Oh my gosh, I love this thread! I hope I'm ready to actively participate at some point this year, but I can't say enough how happy it makes me to see us getting creative with big projects for Duffy! I :love:LOVE:love: it!!

Comment

There is a gorgeous 18" doll pattern at Thimbles and Acorns Carrie Bundle Doll Clothes Pattern 18 inch American Girl Dolls and 16 inch A Girl For All Time Dolls | Pixie Faire that is free today (Friday, 1/9/15 in the US; I don't know the time zone). It would have to be modified to work on Shellie May, of course--the website lists an 11" waist for the American Girl, which I think is smaller than at least one of my American Girl dolls!--but it's gorgeous and it looks to me like removing the darts on the American Girl version might get the jacket most of the way around Shellie May's waist. (The underskirt wouldn't be hard to tweak, though you'd have to make your own waistband.)
                Last edited by Eeee-va; 01-09-2015, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Thank you! That dress is gorgeous. It looks quite complicated. How on earth to cover those snaps???
                  I still have to finish the cushions.
                  I've been going on every Friday to get the free patterns.
                  Last edited by Ilovegreataur; 01-09-2015, 09:14 AM.

Comment

I am thinking of finally sewing a dress this weekend....anyone wanna keep me accountable?

Comment

Consider the countdown started! Looking forward to seeing what you create, Eeee-va!
                      AP holder since 2007

Comment

LOL. Thanks, Madoka! I'll just be making the dress I posted at the top of this page, only with different fabric and a solid skirt. (The patches are ADORABLE but this is to be an under-dress for my SS Smiling Shellie May that has the 3rd Spring Voyage jacket; I think patches would make the ensemble too "busy." I do plan to make a patchwork one for my buddy Smiling Shellie May someday, though.)

Anyway, this will be to make an electronic version of the pattern and test it. If my test goes well, I can then share the pattern for SS-size Shellie May! :yea: With patchwork instructions to come.

17" Shellie May's will come after that--I'd rather get it right for the plush I have before I make it for one I don't. :shy:

Comment

An under-dress. That sounds adorable! I have visions of a white Victorian camisole with attached lace petticoat. That's probably not what you had in mind, but it doesn't hurt to plant the seed of idea right?
                          AP holder since 2007

Comment

And here I thought you were going to tackle that free pattern from yesterday!
                            So are we limited to sharing patterns where each piece would fit on an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper?

Comment

Originally posted by madoka View Post
                              An under-dress. That sounds adorable! I have visions of a white Victorian camisole with attached lace petticoat. That's probably not what you had in mind, but it doesn't hurt to plant the seed of idea right?
                              Oh, that would be pretty and could kind of be done with the pattern I'm making! I'll look at white, but right now I'm looking at using lilac/lavender material and making a simple sleeveless dress. The Spring Voyage top is pretty busy so I'll likely keep the dress simple, though there's a good chance I'll make a ruffle on the bottom (probably made of the same fabric as the dress, but I'll look at lace and pink fabric too).

(My first thought was a yellow and white check I have, but it looks terrible with the top. Ah well.)

Once I'm done, then I can make pants for Small Smiling Duffy!

ILG, my Small Smiling Shellie May already has a Steampunk-inspired outfit so I don't have any specific plans for that cute American Girl pattern right now, but maybe someday... I kind of hoard patterns. :shy:

Yes, making patterns that fit on 8 1/2" x 11" paper is the best way to share online (at least in America; I don't know if other countries use slightly different paper sizes, but the pattern creator can measure an inch and put it on the pattern so that everyone can make sure that it's scaled properly).

But you can make pieces to be taped together if needed. Also, many doll skirts are just rectangles gathered into a waistband, so you just create a pattern for a waistband--possibly instructing to cut on a fold--and then say "Cut a 8" x 30" rectangle for the skirt" (for example). My go-to patterns often have instructions like that for skirts.

I've seen some PEOPLE patterns that you can supposedly print out on your computer so I think bear patterns will work just great.
                              Last edited by Eeee-va; 01-10-2015, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I am seriously toying with the idea of modifying a baby doll dress pattern into a Haunted Mansion Maid costume for my Shellie May. Does anyone have any advice on altering for the bears? I know someone said American Girl patterns aren't quite right and need some modifications. I have a sewing machine but my skills are extremely limited but normally if I want to make something bad enough, I can teach myself!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X