Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs #2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs #2

Thank you, Starlightdreamer! I had that page bookmarked ages ago but either it moved or I lost it...so glad to see it again! Now that I have a 17" Duffy, I need to get to work on making him dapper.

I love your dress especially; the material is so great for Shellie May and the lace makes it fancy!
    Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

Re: Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs #2

Thank you Madoka and Eee-va! Eee-va, if you sew for your Duffy please share the pictures, her patterns are really attractive and I'm sure your Duffy would look great!

Comment

So, I made the shirt at https://translate.googleusercontent....sfhhyEZZTxz9hg

This was scaled 80% for a 12" Duffy, per her instructions. I had some collar issues (next time, I'll sew the collar on or at least pin it better before I sew the seams up the fronts, instead of turning back the fronts to my best guess). That was not the pattern's fault at all; I am bad with collars. Next time I'll probably make the sleeves a touch longer and will almost certainly make the shirt a bit longer, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. I think the only sizing issues occurred because a 12" Duffy has different dimensions from a 17" Duffy.

I used a small strip of Velcro up the front and three buttons--I was going to do 4, but most people I've seen don't button up the top button anyway and the pre-cut Velcro I used didn't QUITE reach, so I left it open. I sewed the buttons on the sleeves in place because I didn't want to deal with buttonholes and odds are I'd never want the buttons undone so using snaps under them wouldn't be helpful.

But then I thought Duffy could really use a tie. I basically used the instructions from Free Tie Pattern but instead of printing the pattern, I drew it out on a couple sheets of paper and did some trial and error. For a 12" Duffy, I think you only need the length of 2 sheets of paper to make a tie of the right length tie. I'll do more trial and error in the future; the hardest part by far is cutting out the tie or (if you don't use a dowel rod) turning it.

BUT, Duffy's not flexible enough to tie his own tie. (And frankly, I'm terrible at it.) What is a tender to do?

Um, those of you with weak stomachs should probably just skip to the last few pics, OK?

So I've been wanting to put in an armature into a Duffy for ages and ages now. I still haven't gotten around to ordering or making a real armature for him, but I have this broken Gorillapod tripod that is very bendy and it bends quite a bit like a doll armature would. It worked pretty darned well when I tested it out UNDER my 12" Duffy's clothes.

Tripod mode:

Posed more like a fakeature (fake armature):

Um, you can probably guess where this is going. ILG, yes, I violated my Duffy's civil rights. :shy: Well, I don't see it as a violation because he didn't complain or mind, but...

ANYWAY, I just had one difficult portion of this journey--getting under his fur. (COVER YOUR EYES!)

I was going to use a scissors (!!!!!) but didn't have the heart (and good thing too because that was a terrible idea!). Instead I felt for the seam, took out a trusty seam ripper, took a deep breath, and gave it a go, hoping to somehow strike the middle seam so I could start the scary task of laboriously unstitching or cutting into poor Duffy. But to my surprise...

...the back was just held together with some broad hand-stitches! You can just barely see the threads that held his back together, under the seam ripper. I couldn't see them for his fur until I just luckily snipped through them all in one quick move. That was the only cut I had to make on Duffy throughout the whole process. WHEW!!!!

I put two arms of the new armature into Duffy's arms and put the third down his back to give him a bit more balance when he sits. Another (better?) option would have been to put it in the neck/head to let him bend better, but my biggest problem with him posing has always been his difficulty in sitting alone. I was considering putting beans in his bottom like Smiling Shellie May, but I didn't have a beanbag all ready so I didn't. I added a touch more stuffing to him, though.

Then I stitched him up securely with regular thread--I suppose it's more secure than the original stitches, but I don't think I'd have any problems getting in there again if needed.

"Hi, Duffeteers!"

"Oh right. My shirt. And my tie!"

(His nose is still off-kilter but I don't know how to fix that forever, if it even can be fixed...and it certainly would've involved taking out his head stuffing, which I didn't have the heart to do yet.)

The process of adding the fake armature was extremely easy. I don't know if all the Duffys are sewn so simply in the back, but if so, it's extremely easy to get back there to add more stuffing or whatever he may need. I still wouldn't dare put an armature in my dear Smiling Shellie May. But when I get around to it I will definitely buy a real armature with legs and everything and try it on my 17" Duffy, and when I get a 17" Shellie May I expect I'll do the same to her.
        Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Comment

Eeee-va, he's just starting to get to that perfect age when Duffys look so good!!

And your shirt is fab! And the tie! And the repurposed "armature!" Greatness.

Comment

Eeee-va, what a wonderful way to up-cycle! I love it when people care for the environment. Me and Duffy were excited when our neighborhood offered recycling bins. :yea:

Comment

Well, I can say that I am feeling rather nauseous after that... but if I can get through being in the surgery suite during liver transplants on two different occasions, I can manage this.

And yes, Eeee-va, your Duffy looks very happy after his recovery.

Nicely done.

Comment

Thanks, everyone! (Sorry to make you nauseous, ILG...I probably won't post any "gory" photos in the future unless they're needed for instruction...I was just marveling at how neatly it all came together!)

Comment

Great job Eeee-va! You did a terrific job on the shirt and tie! And a very clever insertion of the repurposed armature!

Comment

Eeee-va, I love your little surgery...graphic but helpful!

Duffy tying the tie is beyond adorable.

Comment

Duffy is always so cute, but with his armature he is just adorable! I wonder if being able to move his arms on his own means that he will be able to get into the fridge and cupboards now... )
                      "If you can dream it, you can do it!"

Comment

Shellie May IS JOY!

The lines and fireworks (and smiley faces) are hand-painted. I started it before I saw the movie "Inside Out" but held off so I could make it a plain yellow dress in case I didn't like the film--I haven't liked some very popular Pixar movies--but I DID like it so I finally finished. All made from my "stash" except I bought some silver paint--not like you can tell that I used it in the fireworks.

(I have a large stash!)

Comment

Kudos!:clap: She really does look like the spirit of joy, film or no film. Wonderful job!! Nice to see this thread alive and kicking, too!^^

Comment

Great job, Eeeeva! That's a wonderful interpretation of Joy's dress. Love it! :thumbup:
                            AP holder since 2007

Comment

Saw the movie last night, and now I :love: this dress even more! And the smiley Joy-faced flowers! LOVE it!!:roll:

I don't wanna derail this thread, but that movie sparingly exceeded my expectations. Like most of Pixar, it's a very white/token world, but it was a powerful experience. I literally unearthed some memories that may have otherwise been long forgotten. And I thought of our community. I thought of how often we praise "never growing up" as a wonderful worldview in society, but how quickly judgment comes down if you try living that without also being a millionaire!

Comment

Awesome outfit Eeee-va! Shellie looks adorable as Joy!

Comment

Thank you, everyone! My Shellie May has brought me a LOT of joy so I thought it was appropriate.

Comment

So I have my 17" Duffy that I bought in Epcot in January 2014. I picked him out with my best friend in my favorite park in WDW and I love him. But I don't think I am very good at picking out plushes. I think he CAME to me with his toes popped and even though I haven't played with him much, I found a hole in his back! It's just the seam that they sew together when they're done stuffing him, but I'm irritated at the poor quality control.

THAT SAID, it was actually pretty lucky for me and Duffy both. I had wanted to put an armature in him but couldn't stand the thought of cutting him open, so I think it was meant to be! I ordered an armature online and it came right away. It doesn't go all the way to his feet but he can stand OK with shoes anyway.

Oh yeah, that's a Mark Twain Cast Member outfit for him. Shoes are from Build a Bear; socks are child socks (size 4-6, I think?) from Dollar Tree. I made the rest. I had to improvise the hat and tie, but the vest, shirt, and pants are all from patterns at http://www.cotoro.net/ I put real buttonholes in the vest because I had shank buttons (which I juryrigged to put a castle on them) and the vest pockets are real too!

Comment

Woot hoot! Fantastic! I LOVE those pockets. This, real pockets, is an area where OLC has begun to slip. It's noticeable and disappointing. It really makes a difference to do it right. Yours just looks stellar, as per usual!^^

Comment

Eeee-va, you've outdone yourself again! I've been working on some sewing projects, but not clothing for the bears. Need to get back to that.

Comment

Thank you, you guys! ILG, I would LOVE to see you post some bear clothes soon! (Or anyone else's Duffy clothes or crafts, for that matter! )

Comment

Working...
                                          X