Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs #2

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs #2

Boog,
    what I have is how I took an 18" doll pattern and adjusted it.
    A baby doll dress would be bigger. However, you may be able to figure the adjustment.
    I've been meaning to post the information for a long time, but haven't.
    I'm working right now, but will try to get to it tonight.
    ILG

Comment

Re: Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs #2

Originally posted by Ilovegreataur View Post
      Boog,
      what I have is how I took an 18" doll pattern and adjusted it.
      A baby doll dress would be bigger. However, you may be able to figure the adjustment.
      I've been meaning to post the information for a long time, but haven't.
      I'm working right now, but will try to get to it tonight.
      ILG
      I would appreciate any help you could give, ILG and no rush at all!

BTW, that Pixie Faire site looks adorable! I'll have to look through there to see if there might be something that would work for my costume.

Comment

IN THEORY, a 16"? 17"? baby doll (Bitty Baby) wears clothes that American Girl dolls can wear, though the pants will be capris. At least, that was the case circa 2010; things might have changed. So depending on your pattern, it might (or might not) need alterations similar to an American Girl pattern.
        Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

The extent of my experience with modifying a pattern was with an Anna/Elsa pattern, which consists of yoke, bodice (with lining), and skirt (each are 3 pieces). There was an overlay for Elsa's dress, which was 4 pieces.

I know that my process is not optimal, but it worked.
          I took the cut pattern pieces and placed them on card stock and traced them. From there, I modified the drawings before cutting. Once I had my pattern pieces, I could place them on material, trace, then cut material.

The yoke. To both the front and back pieces I added 7/8" to the pattern as it approaches the shoulder.
          To each side of the back, to the center line where the velcro goes, I added 1/2".
          I literally took the edge of the pattern tracing on the card stock and measured 7/8" and drew another line. I did curve a bit around the arm hole, but not much.

The bodice. The pattern was extended an extra 1/4" to both front and back pieces where it would go under the arm. Like the yoke back, the center line was extended 1/2". I made the Anna dress first and realized that the arm holes were gigantic, because of all the extra material in the yolk heading toward the shoulder. With the Elsa dress, I raised the bottom of the armpit 3/8". I did this by tracing the pattern on the card stock as described. I then moved the pattern 3/8" higher and traced that again. The entire height of the bodice wasn't increased over that of the doll pattern, but it made for a shallower arm pit, which worked quite well.

The lining. The areas heading to the shoulder and arm pit were increased the same as the other pieces, included raising the arm pit. I just realized that I likely didn't change the addition to the center back. It says 3/16", but my pattern piece says to increase to 1/2", which is the same as the main piece.

The sleeves: From the top point of the curve to the bottom, measures 5.5"
          The length at the bottom where the cuff would be on the card stock pattern measures 6 5/8"; however, a note on the paper has 7".
          The width of the sleeve is larger toward the armpit, and the pattern measures 6 7/8".

The skirt. Similar to the bodice, the side seams are extended 1/4" each front and back pieces. The center is 1/2".

The overlay. Speaks for itself.

I had a real problem with the tail hole for my dresses. I had velcro go down to close at the bottom. For the Anna dress, her tail couldn't come through even though there was space. Too much overlapping material.

For the Elsa dress, I very poorly tried to fashion a hole. It worked, but I'm sure it could have been done better with better planning.

Most dresses have velcro to the waist or so, then none at the bottom, so a tail hole isn't necessary.

I hope this makes some sense and that it helps however remotely.
          ILG
          Last edited by Ilovegreataur; 02-23-2015, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Sorry I've been so busy but I figured I should post to make sure this thread doesn't lock. I made these felt pins/buttons for the Disneyland Duffy meet. They're just stiffened and regular felt and acrylic paint.

(Duffy was the easiest to make and for some reason Shellie May was the hardest. I had several "rejects" and wasn't super happy with some of the ones that made the cut just because I wouldn't have had enough of her otherwise!)
            Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Comment

Those are adorable, Eeee-va! Do I see 3 smiling Duffys? If you have spares... I'd happily be a recipient of some.

Comment

So cute Eeee-va! Love them! :thumbup:
                AP holder since 2007

Comment

Wow, Eeee-va! Now I wish I'd been there even more!!:clap:

Comment

Hi everyone! Thanks to a good tip I'm posting a picture of a dress and cape I sewed for my Shellie May bear (who I've named Kasumi) here in this thread. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1928.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	7360298
                    The website where I got the pattern is: Its in Japanese but using Google Translate I've been able to figure out the instructions. She has wonderful step by step photos, material lists and instructions on how to print out the pieces at the correct size. She has many patterns for beautiful clothing for both Duffy and Shellie May. You can also follow her on Twitter and see what other people are creating for their Duffy and Shellie May bears using her patterns. Its a lot of fun and she is very talented!

Comment

Oh wow, that is GORGEOUS! :bow:
                      AP holder since 2007

Comment

Thank you, Starlightdreamer! I had that page bookmarked ages ago but either it moved or I lost it...so glad to see it again! Now that I have a 17" Duffy, I need to get to work on making him dapper.

I love your dress especially; the material is so great for Shellie May and the lace makes it fancy!

Comment

Thank you Madoka and Eee-va! Eee-va, if you sew for your Duffy please share the pictures, her patterns are really attractive and I'm sure your Duffy would look great!

Comment

So, I made the shirt at https://translate.googleusercontent....sfhhyEZZTxz9hg

This was scaled 80% for a 12" Duffy, per her instructions. I had some collar issues (next time, I'll sew the collar on or at least pin it better before I sew the seams up the fronts, instead of turning back the fronts to my best guess). That was not the pattern's fault at all; I am bad with collars. Next time I'll probably make the sleeves a touch longer and will almost certainly make the shirt a bit longer, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. I think the only sizing issues occurred because a 12" Duffy has different dimensions from a 17" Duffy.

I used a small strip of Velcro up the front and three buttons--I was going to do 4, but most people I've seen don't button up the top button anyway and the pre-cut Velcro I used didn't QUITE reach, so I left it open. I sewed the buttons on the sleeves in place because I didn't want to deal with buttonholes and odds are I'd never want the buttons undone so using snaps under them wouldn't be helpful.

But then I thought Duffy could really use a tie. I basically used the instructions from Free Tie Pattern but instead of printing the pattern, I drew it out on a couple sheets of paper and did some trial and error. For a 12" Duffy, I think you only need the length of 2 sheets of paper to make a tie of the right length tie. I'll do more trial and error in the future; the hardest part by far is cutting out the tie or (if you don't use a dowel rod) turning it.

BUT, Duffy's not flexible enough to tie his own tie. (And frankly, I'm terrible at it.) What is a tender to do?

Um, those of you with weak stomachs should probably just skip to the last few pics, OK?

So I've been wanting to put in an armature into a Duffy for ages and ages now. I still haven't gotten around to ordering or making a real armature for him, but I have this broken Gorillapod tripod that is very bendy and it bends quite a bit like a doll armature would. It worked pretty darned well when I tested it out UNDER my 12" Duffy's clothes.

Tripod mode:

Posed more like a fakeature (fake armature):

Um, you can probably guess where this is going. ILG, yes, I violated my Duffy's civil rights. :shy: Well, I don't see it as a violation because he didn't complain or mind, but...

ANYWAY, I just had one difficult portion of this journey--getting under his fur. (COVER YOUR EYES!)

I was going to use a scissors (!!!!!) but didn't have the heart (and good thing too because that was a terrible idea!). Instead I felt for the seam, took out a trusty seam ripper, took a deep breath, and gave it a go, hoping to somehow strike the middle seam so I could start the scary task of laboriously unstitching or cutting into poor Duffy. But to my surprise...

...the back was just held together with some broad hand-stitches! You can just barely see the threads that held his back together, under the seam ripper. I couldn't see them for his fur until I just luckily snipped through them all in one quick move. That was the only cut I had to make on Duffy throughout the whole process. WHEW!!!!

I put two arms of the new armature into Duffy's arms and put the third down his back to give him a bit more balance when he sits. Another (better?) option would have been to put it in the neck/head to let him bend better, but my biggest problem with him posing has always been his difficulty in sitting alone. I was considering putting beans in his bottom like Smiling Shellie May, but I didn't have a beanbag all ready so I didn't. I added a touch more stuffing to him, though.

Then I stitched him up securely with regular thread--I suppose it's more secure than the original stitches, but I don't think I'd have any problems getting in there again if needed.

"Hi, Duffeteers!"

"Oh right. My shirt. And my tie!"

(His nose is still off-kilter but I don't know how to fix that forever, if it even can be fixed...and it certainly would've involved taking out his head stuffing, which I didn't have the heart to do yet.)

The process of adding the fake armature was extremely easy. I don't know if all the Duffys are sewn so simply in the back, but if so, it's extremely easy to get back there to add more stuffing or whatever he may need. I still wouldn't dare put an armature in my dear Smiling Shellie May. But when I get around to it I will definitely buy a real armature with legs and everything and try it on my 17" Duffy, and when I get a 17" Shellie May I expect I'll do the same to her.

Comment

Eeee-va, he's just starting to get to that perfect age when Duffys look so good!!

And your shirt is fab! And the tie! And the repurposed "armature!" Greatness.

Comment

Eeee-va, what a wonderful way to up-cycle! I love it when people care for the environment. Me and Duffy were excited when our neighborhood offered recycling bins. :yea:

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X