Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs #2

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eeee-va, I've not been working on bear clothes, but would like to soon. After finishing all the cushions and pillows for a large bay window, I've started to make curling broom head covers. I'd like to sell them. I will work on something for ShellieMay pretty soon. Happy New Year to you!

Comment

I have been looking at the instructional YouTube videos posted by usakichi320 (360)? and others but do not know how to type Japanese characters into the search mechanism to find them...(which is just silly. I need to learn)!...so I often search "my friend Duffy," click on anything in Japanese that comes up in the suggested videos, and from there look to see if any of the Japanese Duffy sewing tutorials come up. Drooling over that stuff for quite a while. Ready to try my hand at it

Comment

I will keep you posted....:o

Comment

I finally made my Smiling Shellie May a patchwork dress! She is SS-sized so I assume the dress will fit the 15th Anniversary ShellieMay too.

If anyone's interested in a pattern for the bodice and/or instructions (since I kind of bluffed the skirt), let me know. I already have a PDF for the bodice that I made....I don't know; like forever ago, whenever I promised you all I would make a pattern and share it but I hadn't tested it before so I couldn't share it until now. I have photos of how to make the skirt or can take some measurements and figure out how much fabric you'd need for a simple one-piece skirt, if anyone wants to make a dress.

I plan to modify/scale it for the 17" ShellieMay someday, but I'm figuring to wait until I have one to try it. (And then you've seen my track record of how timely I usually am, so yeah.) I'll probably give the full-size ShellieMay's a longer bodice; the SS-sized bears have such short legs that I fear a full-length bodice would dwarf the skirt. I am also thinking to use the same pattern/cnocept to make a cream, light green, or tan tank top to go with ShellieMay's green skirt...when I get it...

OH! Also, has anyone else sewn anything lately?
          Last edited by Eeee-va; 03-06-2016, 09:39 PM.
          Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

That is totally adorable, Eeee-va!

Comment

Really cute, Eeee-va! All of your bear sewing projects are so awesome! I am trying to knit some coordinated bear sweaters at the moment but I made up my own pattern so idk how they will turn out. If I come up with a good pattern (after some experimentation with this one.. I can already see it needs some tweaking) I will share it... (but so far the neckline is all wrong :P ) Yay!!!

Comment

Thanks, you guys! Shellie may, I would love to see your sweaters once you get them worked out! I don't know anything about knitting but sweaters might encourage me to learn.
                Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Comment

Originally posted by Eeee-va View Post
                  If anyone's interested in a pattern for the bodice and/or instructions (since I kind of bluffed the skirt), let me know. I already have a PDF for the bodice that I made....I don't know; like forever ago, whenever I promised you all I would make a pattern and share it but I hadn't tested it before so I couldn't share it until now. I have photos of how to make the skirt or can take some measurements and figure out how much fabric you'd need for a simple one-piece skirt, if anyone wants to make a dress.
                  Eeee-va, can I get the PDF? I'm probably picking up the 15th Anniversary SS Shellie May and will be actually working on another project shortly, so I have to get fabric anyway...
                  Thanks!

Comment

Of course, Mercy! Just message me your email address and I'll send it on over...I'll also slowly get to work on instructions and figuring out a place I can host it for others.

Comment

Of course, Mercy! Just message me your email address and I'll send it on over...I'll also slowly get to work on instructions and figuring out a place I can host it for others.
                      Thanks! And for sure I am for sure still interested in a 17-inch pattern(s) - Shellie May wants something Agent Carter-inspired to go with Duffy's Captain America hoodie. Hee!

Comment

I sent the pattern on over; let me know if there are any problems.

(Oh, I have that hoodie too! Agent Carter-inspired could be a lot of fun! Though I guess for nerd points, just a funny quip from that show on a T-shirt might work. )

Comment

I sent the pattern on over; let me know if there are any problems.

(Oh, I have that hoodie too! Agent Carter-inspired could be a lot of fun! Though I guess for nerd points, just a funny quip from that show on a T-shirt might work. )
                          Thanks again! 😀

I have tee shirt (for the Captain America 5K in November) that says "Do as Peggy says!" Maybe I should try sizing that down for SM on a shirt....

Comment

Old outfits with new accessories!

Shoes from https://translate.google.com/transla..._60250774.html made of stiffened felt with no lining. Through trial and error I scaled so that 5 cm was 3.25 cm, so I guess that's about 65%? I can't get scaling to work properly on my printer so there's a lot of guessing. They were a bit fussy to pin but otherwise very easy! They would have been super easy with regular soft (not stiffened) felt for the uppers, but I was worried about them slipping off. Actually, if I had sense I'd probably make a third shoe to carry around just in case!

And I've posted this outfit before (somewhere or other) but never with goggles and boots! Goggles were improvised (and I meant to seal the paint; oops...maybe I still can). The lace-up shoes are from https://translate.googleusercontent....Jx2myrqxxLui1Q made of stiffened felt for the soles and regular felt for the tops (reinforced with a strip of stiffened felt under each side of the uppers where the laces come through). They were basically easy too. I love felt!

Comment

How have I missed these amazing projects? My life was incomplete and I didn't even know what wonders I was missing!^^

The blue patchwork is beautiful. Although everyone was right and the WT designs are even better in person, I think, true patchwork does have a different texture. And the tonal blues are evocative of WT for me. But I'm thinking you designed that dress before we ever even saw WT, Eeee-va?

And then there's Steampunk Shellie, whom I had the fantastic pleasure of meeting in person along with her extraordinarily talented Tender over the weekend. She looks amazing both in photos and in person and I LOVE her!!^^ I foolishly had the thought to bring my 12" Duffy to play with Eeee-va's 12" only as we met at the AquaSphere. Missed opportunity, for sure, but I was admittedly distracted by trying to do some of the shopping the same day. And even still, some items were already gone. It's a harsh world. But Steampunk Shellie is ready for it! She just looks amazing, and I'd LOVE to see them start taking Shellie a little more in the "adventure" direction.

You know, if someone else started it, I'd participate in a thread about the characterization of ShellieMay. Gurgi and I have discussed this topic at great lengths. Eeee-va made a great point about how when you look at their associations – Duffy has his emblematic Bottle, which is highly suggested to be a magical power source or at least representation… But as a message communication device, the Bottle also represents Duffy's self-chosen work, as a networker/matchmaker/community-builder. Gelatoni has his Palette, again emphasizing his power, agency, and self-selected purpose – it represents what he himself can do. I think at the time, Eeee-va mentioned Shellie being featured with a flower. At the moment I can't remember whether she was referencing Spring Voyage or Easter Fair, or perhaps I'm even remembering wrong? But I noticed immediately that even with the WT Charms, Shellie's shell is not a Heart Cockle.

Now, maybe that suggests Shellie simply has a deep connection to all of the shells in the sea, as has always been my thinking, for those who remember my take on ShellieMay's origin story. Her fair eyes seal the deal for me that ShellieMay is a true blue sea spirit! I'd like to see some of that wild adventure and exploration in her, instead of just the supporting role she often seems to play.

I loved Bookworm Shellie at the SV Finale. I loved "I'm in charge of tree-trimming Shellie for Very Merry Snowtime last year. I wish Stocking Stuffers would develop into something that genuinely looks like Shellie crafting herself, and has broader appeal than what we've seen to date. I also think it might be cool if Duffy went on vacation to Italy one year and we saw a Sweet Duffy that showcased what it would be like if she ran the Cafe on her own. Or a brand-new event that features solo Shellie, but isn't all super girly and froufrou. Just an opportunity for her to shine, and be more complex.

Somehow, the addition of Gelatoni has dimmed her a little. In shows, though, I'd argue Gelatoni's arrival is even worse for Duffy. Gelatoni moves and behaves like the other Disney characters, full of energy and bold cheer. ShellieMay is a demure version of this, like Minnie, though even a bit more subdued. But since My Friend Duffy, Duffy mostly moves and behaves like a confused toddler. He wasn't like that before SV/MFD, and it doesn't match his story as adventurer and entrepreneur. Seeing how Gelatoni has literally ZERO toddler elements, in shows it stands out as almost strange that he and Duffy and Shellie are such instant friends. It looks a bit like a college grad hanging out with junior high students.

I'd personally love a brand-new version of MFD, with emphasis on the trio as adventurous explorers. And Steampunk Shellie is absolutely the right direction for me! Nicely done, Eeee-va!^^
                              …

Comment

Thank you very much, DuffyD! Yes, I had had the patchwork dress idea for I think more than a year...I made one in the same scale for my friend as a birthday or Christmas present last year, I think it was, with different colors (based on a "dress up a bipedal virtual pet" kind of game we used to play back before it went offline). I always intended to make a similar one for my Shellie May but did not get around to it until Wishing Together, which probably helped inspire me to stick to blues more than take a multicolor route.

The steampunk outfit came from when I was going to a small annual science fiction convention a few years ago. A couple days before the event Shellie May told me she wanted to come, which meant she needed a costume... (The bodice/sleeve design was inspired by the same virtual pet game.) The goggles and boots were made for this trip, though!

The flowers/basket motif I was complaining about was in the washcloth or mini towel set.

There is nothing WRONG with flowers or baskets, and if Shellie May grows the flowers (possible) or makes the baskets, then that is definitely creative and artistic. But it still doesn't feel as adventurous or creative as Duffy's or Gelatoni's emblems to me.

(Reading about Japan before my trip, I got frustrated reading how femininity is so valued for women and thinking about how it seems Minnie and Daisy are kind of domestic/lacking in personality while the menfolk might have more adventure, so I was getting annoyed at the girliness of ShellieMay a bit. Then I saw April's calendar for this month where ShellieMay is in (skirted) overalls and painting eggs! That made me feel better. (And no, not every girl in Japan dresses frilly or in suits either. Silly Internet.) Though I met one of DuffyD's friends and she was eager to go look at one of the flowerbeds/gardens by Aunt Peg's, so if ShellieMay DID grow those, then good for her!

Great idea about a ShellieMay characterization thread!

Originally posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
                                I loved Bookworm Shellie at the SV Finale. I loved "I'm in charge of tree-trimming Shellie for Very Merry Snowtime last year. I wish Stocking Stuffers would develop into something that genuinely looks like Shellie crafting herself, and has broader appeal than what we've seen to date. I also think it might be cool if Duffy went on vacation to Italy one year and we saw a Sweet Duffy that showcased what it would be like if she ran the Cafe on her own. Or a brand-new event that features solo Shellie, but isn't all super girly and froufrou. Just an opportunity for her to shine, and be more complex.
                                Yes! I love all of those things and the ideas of a new ShellieMay event!

And yes, I was surprised at how baby-ish Duffy was in Crystal Wishes Journey. My Friend Duffy is a kids' show and I found it enchanting regardless (it did not hurt that my Japanese is below toddler level). Somehow I don't have a problem with his characterization there so much...maybe I see him as still "new," or maybe I don't mind him having different personalities in different venues. (I think Japan has Mickey Mouse Clubhouse too? In America, there are many different iterations of Mickey...classic cartoon Mickey and crew, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse--where Donald's temper is greatly reduced, among other things--and so forth. Duffy is so big in Japan, I think he can survive being somewhat childlike in My Friend Duffy (what they have now could be too far, granted), an entrepreneur in Sweet Duffy, etc. But the My Friend Duffy persona is probably what makes it overseas, which is a problem.

I'm sure you're right that Gelatoni has probably hurt Duffy's portrayal more than ShellieMay's. And I'd love to see an adventure show too! A new show is coming to Lost River Delta, right? Maybe there could be an adventure Duffy release in time with that![/QUOTE]
                                Last edited by Eeee-va; 04-20-2016, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X