Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Duffy's Button Box & Pin Cushion: How-to Sewing Projects & Original Designs #2

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the website says the SS-size plush have non-removable clothes. But it appears that just one stitch is all that keeps SS-size ShellieMay's blouse from slipping off much more comfortably than my SS-size ShellieMay (from the first Spring Voyage)'s ever did. I wonder if the designers had that in mind when they created the outfit, even though they still insist the clothes are permanent.

To get it back on properly, I will probably need to see in a hook and eye. When I figure it out, I will post! But I am glad my friend should be able to dress her ShellieMay with relative ease My ShellieMay has not been in her Spring Voyage top for a year or two because it is so hard to squish her in or out that I am afraid it will tear.

The bow should come off like the last one (several threads to cut and then sew it onto an elastic band). But with the design of the patchwork bow, someone could leave it on and still change her clothes, as there are a lot of colors in the bow so it would match quite a lot. (My friend's Shellie's bow is still coming off, though! )

I'm pretty sure SS-size Gelatoni's vest is also very easy to get off; I recall it was 2-3 threads. I'm thinking to sew snaps beneath the buttons, though Velcro might be easier. But since my friend was born in March and SS-size Shellie is her birthday present, I think I had better get to work on her first!
    Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Daily updates on Facebook!

Comment

OK! It took me no more than 15 minutes of sewing to make SS-size ShellieMay's top removable!

There are just a couple threads holding the top closed. Here it is from the inside.

A seam ripper can easily remove them. I think they are also attached to the front bow; it was very loose once I was done. So you could repurpose that bow into a tie, or put on new ties, and you'd be done! But I had decided to use a hook and eye, and so that is what I did.

I took the top off (over her hips so her cute head did not get squished). Then I sewed the bow back onto one side. Try to make sure it will be even when it's back on her and closed.

Next, I sewed an "eye" on one side of the gap. Up a bit higher would have been slightly better, but this should work fine since the gap is so small. (I started with blue thread before realizing it should probably be white to match the lining (!).

Once one side was sewn on, I closed it, put the hook through the eye, and sewed the hook into place.

I made sure it closed together OK; it does!

Done!

And I thought I'd posted instructions on how to take off an SS-size ShellieMay's bow on the old sewing thread at http://discuss.micechat.com/forum/co...iginal-designs , but I guess I didn't. So I'll take photos of the process and post here!

But it will basically be the same as the process at http://tinyduffy.blogspot.com/2013/0...-may-in-5.html , if anyone can't wait. I was able to find a stash of loose elastic bands in various shades of brown and tan back around the time I got my dear Shellie May, so that's what I use. I'm sure there are other (better?) sources of elastic, but I don't personally know of any so that's what I use!

Daily Duffy Archive! Adventures with Duffy, ShellieMay, or Gelatoni, updated regularly!

Comment

Here's the bow tutorial.

It is easy to remove SS-size ShellieMay's bow, once you find the single thread holding it in place. Not sure you can see it here.

I just used a seam ripper to cut through the thread. There will be a thread left in her head; you could cut it out, or find the knot and pull it out. I pulled it out.

I found the bow had an unfinished edge, so I glued it to keep it from fraying, just in case.

Once the glue dried, I set a loose hair elastic right at the back of the bow, above the frayed edge.

(If you cannot sew at all and you have a long enough piece of elastic, you could actually cut it (if needed), thread one end through the "gathering" piece of the bow--the sewn part that is checked in the below photo--and then tie the ends of the elastic together, and try to see if you can get the ends to go up under the gathering piece. Then you would be done! I prefer to sew, myself, but the other way might have a nicer effect if it worked out right.)

Anyway, then I ran a stitch to tie the bow to the elastic band.

Now it fits back on her head! Yay!

Last edited by Eeee-va; 05-01-2016, 10:37 PM.

Comment

And while we are at it, I put a smile on my 17" ShellieMay from Tokyo DisneySea!

Comment

Wonderful, Eeee-va!!!
            AP holder since 2007

Comment

Eeee-va, that was an awesome step-by-step!
              Thank you!

Comment

Thank you, Madoka and Mercy!

Here's how I removed my SS-sized Gelatoni's vest and made it re-attachable.

Here's what the inside of the vest looks like. Some of the stitches are to hold the vest onto Gelatoni, and others are to hold on the buttons.

I didn't have my seam ripper with me, so I had to use a scissors. I think there were just two threads to cut.

[
                Done!

I took off the threads on the side of the vest that didn't have the buttons.

I figured out how I wanted the vest to fit on again.

I chose blue thread for the snaps because it matches the lining. It might be better to use a pink or peachish thread like OLC used, just in case you go through the lining and onto the vest when you sew the snaps in, but blue is okay. This is sewing the snap onto the button end, so you can see where the buttons are sewn in.

Then sew on the other side of the snap on the other side, making sure that the sides will match up when you close the vest.

The snap is visible from the right angle, but it's OK.

Second snap!

You have to be real careful to match the second half of the second snap in the right place. It would probably be best to mark the location of the second snap, but instead, I tied the thread around the second half of the snap...

...and then snapped both snaps together and sewed a stitch in place to show me where the second piece of the second snap should be.

Then I unsnapped the snaps and sewed the second half of the second snap into place.

Done!

Comment

Gelatoni pants!

Comment

I love the cat pants!!! I love little Gelatoni!!! What a cutie!!

Comment

Thank you, Shellie May!

A shirt adds a ton of versatility!

I'm just leaving his beret on. I think if I make any more berets, I'll just make them fit over his existing beret. That's no good for ShellieMay, but I think it should work for Gelatoni, who always wants to have a hat on anyway.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X